AT440MLa

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apologies for not being specifically about the AT440MLa but I am shopping around now for a new turntable and noticed there is now an AT440MLb model.

Do any of you here have experience of this newer AT440MLb.?
..and if so, is it CD-4 capable?

Thanks in advance.

Apologies for not being specifically about the AT440MLa but I am shopping around now for a new turntable and noticed there is now an AT440MLb model.

Do any of you here have experience of this newer AT440MLb.?
..and if so, is it CD-4 capable?

Thanks in advance.

I recently jumped on an Amazon sale for the mlb version and yes it is CD4 compatible. If you can get it at a good price, jump!

I recently jumped on an Amazon sale for the mlb version and yes it is CD4 compatible. If you can get it at a good price, jump!

Thank you that's brilliant! What did you pay?
Lowest on Amazon UK at the moment is £126.50 sterling which is a bit more than I was hoping for.. but a new cart that definitely does CD-4 I think I'll have to go for it, as you say!

Mine was US$139 plus shipping to Canada. That was the cheapest I ever saw it. It went up by $50 in a week or so. Your price seems inline with what I paid. Mine came to about CAN$216, and yours with current exchange appears to be about CAN$232. Mine had reasonable CD4 playback with no tweaking, much better after setting up the controls properly. It is handling all microgroove records like a champ.

Lowest on Amazon UK at the moment is £126.50 sterling which is a bit more than I was hoping for.

It's about the right price. Audiotechnicashop who can be quite competitive are £129.99. The MLa can be very toppy if not matched well with a pre-amp, I have no idea if this is an issue with the MLb.

I had no hi end issues using the built in CD4 demodulator in my JVC 4VR5456X. Demodulators tend to lop off the info above 15kHz. Straight stereo(or Quad Linda forbid, mono) records sound great with a lot of detail, but surprisingly less accentuation on surface noise and damage. Clean records are a must, but otherwise, I am impressed. Perhaps finding a standalone demodulator like the JVC 4DD-5 will be your solution. I would send you one of my spares, but it would be electrically wrong. I am on 110 volt, 60 cycle mains, you would be 220 volt, 50 cycles if I am not mistaken.

It's about the right price. Audiotechnicashop who can be quite competitive are £129.99. The MLa can be very toppy if not matched well with a pre-amp, I have no idea if this is an issue with the MLb.

I've never found the 440 any more "toppy" than any other AT cartridge I've ever heard. Yes, there's arguably an "AT sound", but I don't think it's any more excessive on the 440.

I use one myself, and while I like it, I have tried it on a friend's pre-amp (can't remember what it is, sadly, but it would be decent) and it sounded pretty bad - so I'm not going by heresay. Other pre-amps I've used have been fine enough.

Anyone know the answer or where to search to find out if a ATN440Mb stylus is compatible with an Audio-Technica TP-112Sa TP112Sa phono cartridge? I think my stylus just crapped out on me, I have an AT 12s Cartridge and having readd so many great things about the ATN440Mb, thinking about going that route, but want to make sure it will fit my cartridge.

Thanks,
Pat

According to the Voice of Music website, the AT440MLb is not compatible with your cartridge. Your cartridge requires the equivalent of Pfahnstiehl's number 201 and the AT440MLb is the number 208 series. This means the styli are not interchangeable. If you go to Vinyl Engine's website, there is a few forum threads that tell you which cartridges are compatible with the AT440MLb. I suspect there is also a list of styli compatible with your cartridge as well. User Lini is a guru on AT cartridges there.

Thanks Vibes, may just have to get the 440ML cart\styli as a pair. From what I have been reading, it sounds like a nice upgrade over what I am using.

It's been discontinued, as has the 150MLx. There may be NOS still around though. Audio Technica have frustratingly hiked the prices right up of a microline stylus with the new models.

It's been discontinued, as has the 150MLx. There may be NOS still around though. Audio Technica have frustratingly hiked the prices right up of a microline stylus with the new models.
Exactly, there seems to be nothing that is compatible, nor comparable price wise. You are now going to pay much more than you ever did for the same performance with a new model, or old model with upgraded stylus.

AT have made it difficult, and more expensive.

Anyone know the answer or where to search to find out if a ATN440Mb stylus is compatible with an Audio-Technica TP-112Sa TP112Sa phono cartridge? I think my stylus just crapped out on me, I have an AT 12s Cartridge and having readd so many great things about the ATN440Mb, thinking about going that route, but want to make sure it will fit my cartridge.

Thanks,
Pat
Here is the best price I can find for your Shibata...

https://lptunes.com/products/audio-technica-stylus-for-audio-technica-tp-112sa-tp112sa-cartridge

However, if that is out of your budget, any ATS12 stylus will fit your cartridge. Here is a ridiculously inexpensive 02x07 (fine elliptical) from a seller I've had good luck with...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEEDLE-FOR...273337?hash=item51a72fb7f9:g:VSgAAMXQDK1Rp8C-

Exactly, there seems to be nothing that is compatible, nor comparable price wise. You are now going to pay much more than you ever did for the same performance with a new model, or old model with upgraded stylus.

AT have made it difficult, and more expensive.

Yes, it feels like a real kick in the face for people who helped keep the line going before the vinyl revival. I've contacted them via social media and email and they've not been able to justify it, going along the 'we still think it presents good value for money' line. Surely they've got to realise that hiking up the price that much encourages checking out the competition and breeds ill will.

Yes, it feels like a real kick in the face for people who helped keep the line going before the vinyl revival. I've contacted them via social media and email and they've not been able to justify it, going along the 'we still think it presents good value for money' line. Surely they've got to realise that hiking up the price that much encourages checking out the competition and breeds ill will.
There was a guy over on the SH forums that bought one of the AT440ML variations and raved about the new found detail and "thereness" he experienced. He went on to say that he "would gladly pay double the price for this cart."

I knew right then and there that we were in for major price hikes on this line. What I didn't know is that after the price hikes - they would discontinue the damn things, and make you spend in even higher priced line of carts and stylus'.

Too many stated that the 440 line performs at a level far beyond price. That was read by the AT marketing Dept. I have no doubt. So we're screwed.

Shure just left the phono cart biz. So that's one less competitor AT needs to worry about.

It's crazy when people say they'd pay double the price for stuff. Why say that? What would they hope to achieve?

It's crazy when people say they'd pay double the price for stuff. Why say that? What would they hope to achieve?
Not a real bright thing to say, but he was trying to say that the value is there x2. I think I held my mouth shut which is not like me and let it go. I usually call people out when they make dumb statements. This time I just cringed as I waited for price hike(s).

Back