Atmos vs Auro 3D

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A question for those of you with Auro-3D capable receivers: if you were buying an AVR today, would you pay extra for it?

I ask because I'm trying to upgrade to a receiver that will power a 5.1.4 system (my current receiver maxes out at 5.1.2).

It seems to me that Dolby has won the Atmos vs. Auro-3D competition, and I have maybe half a dozen BDAs that feature an Auro-3D mix but no Atmos. The cheapest 9.2 AVR I've found that can handle both formats is a refurbished Denon X4500H (next cheapest: Marantz SR-7013) at Accessories4Less--but even the Denon is still $200 more than a refurbished Marantz SR-6013, which is Atmos only.

I should add that I don't care about video capabilities at all--just audio. (For reasons of space, I can only attach a 24" inch monitor anyway.)
Man, I don't know. I have Auro 3D and the discs I have sound freaking amazing. What are they you say? I can't remember....I Just know I was super impressed.

Cons: very limited offer for Auro releases. Pros: Auromatic upmixer is pretty good
I'm glad I payed for the license, so far

I like auro 3D a lot. I have found myself trending back towards Dolby surround recently however. I have 7 overhead channels (6 atmos and the Auro voice of god) I really like the VOG channel. I’d love for Atmos to add an optional top middle channel similar to it so I could use it on both.

Back