Attempting first QRX 6001 recap. Tips and advice welcome

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reed

Out here in the perimeter, way down below the ocea
I got into quad a few years back and got as far as purchasing two partially working Sansui QRX 6001 units. Both power on, but both have dead channels and other issues. I opened one up and decided I might take a stab at recapping it. Life got in the way. I was unable to find a local shop I trusted to repair my unit. I contacted an outfit that specializes in Sansui restoration and was told that I shouldn't waste my time with 6001s and I should just look for a 7001 or higher to buy.

Well, my research indicates that the only difference between the 6001 and the 7,8,and 9001 is power output and the fact that the 6001 doesn't have the VU meters. This is fine with me because it means the circuitry is much simpler and I am not looking to blow my neighbors windows out. I only really want the variomatrix circuitry and the 6001 uses the same decoders as the 7,8,and 9001s.

I have decided to finally take a stab at recapping on eof the 6001s. I have ordered enough capacitors to replace every capacitor in one of the 6001s. I ordered plain run-of-the-mill aluminum electrolytic capacitors. Total cost was $15 with shipping. If I can recap one of the units and bring it back to life, I will spend the money and time to get higher quality replacement capacitors for the second 6001 (and take a stab at bringing my Pioneer QX949A back from the very dead). All the pots will get cleaned and lubed with De Oxit, bulbs will get replaced with LEDs. That should be good enough for this to be my garage unit. Worst case scenario is I restore one of them and use the other for parts.

I have a solder sucker and a good soldering iron and lots of good acid free solder.

I plan on doing as many of the factory specified checks and adjustments as I have the tools for, as well as any other improvements I can find instructions on how to do and have the capability of doing. I took some basic electronics course in high school, but that was over 15 years ago now, so I am not really an electronics wizard. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for what else I should do while I am in there?

Thanks in advance.

quadbanana.gif

Things to remember with capacitors: make sure each used one has been grounded/shorted before you touch it, or you can have a hair-raising experience. Make sure you have the polarity right before you solder in the new capacitor, and it's not ridiculous to check it twice.

Thanks. Back in high school (before electronics class) I used to disassemble disposable cameras and detach the capacitor for the flash from the circuit board but leave the charging circuit intact so I could charge the capacitor and walk around with it charged. I would do fun things like blow the plating off of pennies. One time my hand slipped and I got a zap from a fully charged capacitor on my hand. I blacked out for about ten seconds and when I came around I had two little holes blown in my hand. I still have the scars to remind me to always ground myself and make sure components are discharged before disassembly. ; )

Back