Ayreon-"The Source" in surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
As there is no surround poll for this release, Ayreon-The Source I'll post my thoughts here. One surround option Dolby Digital 5.1 24/48Khz. Surround is highly immersive (room filling with all 5 speakers very active) it is not discrete (instrument or vocals trading places on different speakers) although there are some limited discrete moments. It is one DVD but two CD's worth of material so it is a long listen, into progressive metal.
I played around with raising and lowering volume in fronts, rears and center and it was a best fit for me when all was equal levels, this sounded best do to the immersive nature of the disc. I did listen with the hard disc, not the ripped file. The Sci-Fi theme is good and Arjen really knows how to make his music fun and entertaining. The extras on the DVD are a must to really get you in the place to listen correctly.
Artistically It is not my favorite Ayreon and I am not sure if it is content or just the long listening experience.
If there was a poll I would vote 8, for surround and content, packaging and information a 10+.
I am certainly glad I have it in my collection.

Back