Be-Bop Deluxe in surround! (“Drastic Plastic” out in 2021!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw Be Bop Deluxe on 3/19/78 in Springfield Massachusetts supporting Blue Oyster Cult. Two weeks later their setlist looked like this:

New Precision
Possession
Superenigmatix
Ships in the Night
Dangerous Stranger
Speed of the Wind
Islands of the Dead
Surreal Estate
Lovers are Mortal
Shine
Panic in the World
Forbidden Lovers
Love in Flames

Encore:
Fair Exchange
Blazing Apostles

Looks like they did not tour much after 1978. What I remember most about them is they did not play Life In The Air Age, which I wanted to hear. That was from the album in question here: Sunburst Finish. I will be psyched to hear this in surround.

The BOC part of the show was off the hook! They still had their laser show before it was banned, and it was spectacular. I feel lucky to have been there. I missed so much good stuff that came before that. Zep, Floyd, Hendrix, etc... At least I got a few good ones before they were gone.

I saw Be Bop Deluxe on 3/19/78 in Springfield Massachusetts supporting Blue Oyster Cult. Two weeks later their setlist looked like this:

New Precision
Possession
Superenigmatix
Ships in the Night
Dangerous Stranger
Speed of the Wind
Islands of the Dead
Surreal Estate
Lovers are Mortal
Shine
Panic in the World
Forbidden Lovers
Love in Flames

Encore:
Fair Exchange
Blazing Apostles

Looks like they did not tour much after 1978. What I remember most about them is they did not play Life In The Air Age, which I wanted to hear. That was from the album in question here: Sunburst Finish. I will be psyched to hear this in surround.

The BOC part of the show was off the hook! They still had their laser show before it was banned, and it was spectacular. I feel lucky to have been there. I missed so much good stuff that came before that. Zep, Floyd, Hendrix, etc... At least I got a few good ones before they were gone.

Great setlist - would have loved to have seen that tour but they didn't play in my area that time (and as a Drastic Plastic lover I'd have gone to any show within reasonable distance...but they busted up and Red Noise rose from the ashes.

New Precision
Possession
Superenigmatix
Ships in the Night
Dangerous Stranger
Speed of the Wind
Islands of the Dead
Surreal Estate
Lovers are Mortal
Shine
Panic in the World
Forbidden Lovers
Love in Flames

Encore:
Fair Exchange
Blazing Apostles

I saw them around the same time period in Manhattan [was it the Beacon Theater?] on a double bill with The Tubes. Awesome show. Love how these 5.1 remixes seemingly come 'out of the blue!'

well, let's hope that the MCH is DTS at least,,,, and not only DD....

I have a good feeling about this title.
The reissue will definitely be on Esoteric Recordings (Mark Powell’s label) and what’s on the screen definitely appears to be the authoring work of Ray Shulman, so I’m predicting a DVD-V release with DTS 96/24 and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio options, so yes, I’m sure we will not be stuck with just the dreaded Dullby! ;)

Hmmmm. Never heard of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like to call myself a classic/progressive/art rock whatever buff and same here, they have been under my somewhat nerdy radar!

This is pretty interesting, now I can put on a 5.1 mix of something that I’ve never heard before, not even in stereo (no, no tube clicking for me).

And here's the word from Bill:
Yes, there will be a deluxe box set re-issue of 'Sunburst Finish' containing the original album mix, a new stereo remix and a 5-1 mix of the entire album. I believe it's being released in November. Cherry Red now own the Be Bop Deluxe back catalogue and will be reissuing it over time, though I don't know whether there are plans to do all the albums in 5-1.

Back