Be-Bop Deluxe in surround! (“Drastic Plastic” out in 2021!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not familiar with Steven Tayler ....... enlighten me
Steven Tayler has been an engineering icon to me since the 80s - his work with Rupert Hine on albums by The Fixx, Rush etc was notable, influential and superb. He started out at Trident Studios in the 70s and worked on a bunch of my favourite albums from that era, including UK's first album. He has his own album, Ostinato, which he self-released several years ago and is a lovely listen. Haven't heard anything he's done in 5.1 so don't have an opinion on that yet...

Excited that the Bebop Deluxe stuff is getting its 'posterity version' done (and also have to confess that I'm slightly jealous as Sunburst Finish and Modern Music - a personal favourite, particularly the Modern Music Suite on side 2 - are albums I'd have loved to have had the opportunity to re-make myself. One less classic album on my 'dare to dream' wishlist).

Anyway, I just wanted to put in a positive word for ST. Not a fan of the mixer-bashing that sometimes happens here...having had the privilege of working with James Guthrie I didn't and still don't like him being rubbished when anything Pink Floyd-related comes up. He does what feels appropriate to him with phenomenal attention to detail and a tireless work ethic. There is no 'right and wrong' when it comes to this stuff (apart from when there's a technical faux pas). At the end of the day it's about presenting an artist's music with an aesthetically pleasing picture-frame. Sometimes this happens with a synchronicity that makes for a transcendent experience. And yet there will inevitably be people who don't hear it in that way.

It's pack shot time!
Isn't it a beauty?

Be-Bop-Deluxe-Modern-Music-3D.jpg

:)

Last edited:
Not familiar with this album. Just didn't pick it up back in the day. Is it as good as Futurama and Sunburst Finish?

I loved it back in '76 and still do, especially the Modern Music suite. This and Sunburst Finish are the ones I always go back to. Can't wait to hear it in surround!!

Really enjoyed Sunburst Finish today!
Yup, for me though, Drastic Plastic is their high, and Bill saw that it was as far as the band could go at the time - Drastic Plastic to me has more in common with the Red Noise album, a very strong hint of where he wanted to go and the current BBD band was not the right vehicle to get there

Yup, for me though, Drastic Plastic is their high, and Bill saw that it was as far as the band could go at the time - Drastic Plastic to me has more in common with the Red Noise album, a very strong hint of where he wanted to go and the current BBD band was not the right vehicle to get there

DP was the 6th BBD album. NO WAY it was their high point and if anything it's more of a Bill Nelson solo record because of it's synthpop and new wave sound which is the direction he eventially went in.

Last edited:
DP was the 6th BBD album. NO WAY it was their high point and if anything it's more of a Bill Nelson solo record because of it's synthpop and new wave sound which is the direction he eventially went in.

Okay, not a high mark for YOU. As I said, it was their high point for ME.

The album most certainly through a loop to the long-time BBD fans (I came in around Sunburst Finish) and a lot of them didn't like the change in style. I did, just made sense to me, I thought he'd taken the older approach just about as far as he could and that the Air Age live set brought that era to a logical conclusion.

I’m with doppelbock, DP was my first BBD album and remains my favourite, though haven’t heard MM so I suppose that could change

Back