Be-Bop Deluxe in surround! (“Drastic Plastic” out in 2021!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sunburst Finish turned up yesterday from Burning Shed - earlier than I was expecting. I have only had time to listen to the first six tracks so far. The 5.1 is available in DTS 96/24 and DD. On this short listen my impression is that the front soundstage predominates but the surrounds do join in nicely at times. Sound quality is good on the DTS version. Bass seemed a little subtle but I may need to adjust the sub-woofer to get the best of it. I have not heard this album for many a year and on re-acquaintance it is rather pleasing to hear again. I will get the opportunity to explore it more over the next few days although The White Album and Electric Ladyland are also competing for my attention. What a month!

Sunburst Finish turned up yesterday from Burning Shed - earlier than I was expecting. I have only had time to listen to the first six tracks so far. The 5.1 is available in DTS 96/24 and DD. On this short listen my impression is that the front soundstage predominates but the surrounds do join in nicely at times. Sound quality is good on the DTS version. Bass seemed a little subtle but I may need to adjust the sub-woofer to get the best of it. I have not heard this album for many a year and on re-acquaintance it is rather pleasing to hear again. I will get the opportunity to explore it more over the next few days although The White Album and Electric Ladyland are also competing for my attention. What a month!

Have you had a chance to give this a good listen to yet?
Not that I'm impatient or anything...:rolleyes:

To tickle your fancies I've found this review but its only for the stereo issue.

https://louderthanwar.com/be-bop-deluxe-sunburst-finish-album-review/

On another matter

I don't know how many of you are American Football fans. I've been watching since 1982, when it was first shown here in the UK.
But I've just seen the highlights of one of the most high scoring, exciting and full on games ever.
Between the Chiefs and the Rams.
Fantastic

Sorry for going off topic ..just had to express myself on a truly remarkable game.
I'll stop now.

Last edited:
Ok, so, popped the cork on a superb Rioja red and set about a full listen. As you may be aware the DVD has 5.1 DTS 24/96 & DD, plus the remixed and original (1976) stereo versions in PCM 24/96. I have spent quite a bit of time moving between each of these stereo and the DTS versions each of which has its merits. To get sound quality out of the way first, the stereo versions are different and it's sort of like different rooms. I shall explain!

Taking the second song, Heavenly Homes, on the 1976 mix it feels like the drummer is in the room but Bill Nelson's vocals are somewhat distant like he is in the next room with the door open! However, I have to say that the cymbals are exquisitely recorded. Moving to the new stereo mix, Bill and the drummer seem to have swapped rooms; the vocals are far more prominent and the drums and particularly the cymbals have been slid out to the room Bill was in 42 years ago. I also feel that the new mix is a little on the compressed side of audiophile and bass heavy compared to 1976. There is a real thump from the bass drum early in Fair Exchange that took me by surprise not least because it is almost absent in the DTS mix. The 1976 bass is more refined.

The DTS is generally light on the bass especially in comparison to the stereo versions. I really could not get a setting on the bass or the sub that really did the recording justice. And I have to say that this is not normally a problem. As for the mix, my overriding impression is of a front soundscape with careful use of the surrounds on some tracks and more immersive on others. Fair Exchange does not use the rears too much but then Heavenly Homes and Ships In The Night bring the soundstage around. Crying In The Sky uses the rears for backing vocals, acoustic and effects guitars. Sleep That Burns is a full surround song whereas Beauty Secrets seems to be more ambient. Generally a decent album with some very good songs. There is a book with interesting background to the band and this album. The biggest surprise for me are the photos of US theaters showing Be Bop Deluxe as the headline band supported by....Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers!! Who knew??

Anyway, a couple of photos below and for kap'n krunch the Rioja is a 2009 Muga Seleccion Especial served in a Muga glass from a visit to the bodega last year.

Cover.JPG
Content.JPG

Ok, so, popped the cork on a superb Rioja red and set about a full listen. As you may be aware the DVD has 5.1 DTS 24/96 & DD, plus the remixed and original (1976) stereo versions in PCM 24/96. I have spent quite a bit of time moving between each of these stereo and the DTS versions each of which has its merits. To get sound quality out of the way first, the stereo versions are different and it's sort of like different rooms. I shall explain!

Taking the second song, Heavenly Homes, on the 1976 mix it feels like the drummer is in the room but Bill Nelson's vocals are somewhat distant like he is in the next room with the door open! However, I have to say that the cymbals are exquisitely recorded. Moving to the new stereo mix, Bill and the drummer seem to have swapped rooms; the vocals are far more prominent and the drums and particularly the cymbals have been slid out to the room Bill was in 42 years ago. I also feel that the new mix is a little on the compressed side of audiophile and bass heavy compared to 1976. There is a real thump from the bass drum early in Fair Exchange that took me by surprise not least because it is almost absent in the DTS mix. The 1976 bass is more refined.

The DTS is generally light on the bass especially in comparison to the stereo versions. I really could not get a setting on the bass or the sub that really did the recording justice. And I have to say that this is not normally a problem. As for the mix, my overriding impression is of a front soundscape with careful use of the surrounds on some tracks and more immersive on others. Fair Exchange does not use the rears too much but then Heavenly Homes and Ships In The Night bring the soundstage around. Crying In The Sky uses the rears for backing vocals, acoustic and effects guitars. Sleep That Burns is a full surround song whereas Beauty Secrets seems to be more ambient. Generally a decent album with some very good songs. There is a book with interesting background to the band and this album. The biggest surprise for me are the photos of US theaters showing Be Bop Deluxe as the headline band supported by....Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers!! Who knew??

Anyway, a couple of photos below and for kap'n krunch the Rioja is a 2009 Muga Seleccion Especial served in a Muga glass from a visit to the bodega last year.

View attachment 36692View attachment 36693

Thank you for the report...
and Muga ... yummy... to enjoy with some cured cheese from La Mancha and some jabugo ham!!!!

SALUD!!!

Thanks for your most generous assessment of Sunburst Finish.

Sounds like another MIXED BAG to me.

IMO, a successful surround remix not only honors the stereo original but expands on it to include ALL THE ELEMENTS WHICH MADE THE ORIGINAL PERCOLATE...

Seems the new remix falls far short of that wherein vocals are distant and bass is spare compared to the LPCM LOSSLESS Stereo remix.

I should have mine soon but I was really anticipating something special from this remix/remaster.

There is a book with interesting background to the band and this album. The biggest surprise for me are the photos of US theaters showing Be Bop Deluxe as the headline band supported by....Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers!! Who knew??

I saw that show at the Santa Monica Civic...'77 or '78....Petty absolutely killed it and upstaged the main act!

DeepDiscount came through again - shipped my pre-order today ($45.81 total). With the Thanksgiving break I'll probably be lucky to see it by the following weekend.

Many thanks Omega 4 for taking the trouble to post pics and your review.
It's never easy being the first to express an opinion on what so many are eagerly waiting to hear...especially as most, if not all, have bought this solely for the surround mix.
Mine will arrive soon...perhaps a keeper if only for the poster!!!!

Thanks for your most generous assessment of Sunburst Finish.

Sounds like another MIXED BAG to me.

IMO, a successful surround remix not only honors the stereo original but expands on it to include ALL THE ELEMENTS WHICH MADE THE ORIGINAL PERCOLATE...

Seems the new remix falls far short of that wherein vocals are distant and bass is spare compared to the LPCM LOSSLESS Stereo remix.

I should have mine soon but I was really anticipating something special from this remix/remaster.

It's quite difficult to put into words how something sounds but so that I don't leave the wrong impression, the distant vocals are in the original mix and very much brought to the fore in the new stereo mix. The percussion has been reined in now whereas it was really prominent in 1976. But, on my system, with a remote controlled sub, I could not draw sufficient out of the .1 channel. No problem with the stereo versions especially the new mix. I do wonder how much is down to the mastering and how much to DTS. I have some absolutely amazing SACDs, DVDAs and Blu-Rays so cannot place the cause with my system. But then again the Yazoo DTS 5.1 has great sound quality......

Many thanks Omega 4 for taking the trouble to post pics and your review.
It's never easy being the first to express an opinion on what so many are eagerly waiting to hear...especially as most, if not all, have bought this solely for the surround mix.
Mine will arrive soon...perhaps a keeper if only for the poster!!!!

Thanks for your supportive comment. As it seemed that I had the only copy in the QQ universe I did think I should sit down with a pen and pad (plus the Rioja) and provide what might be perceived as informed comments. It is, as you say, quite hard and I spent ages going back and forth between the three versions having quickly realised that each had something to offer. I am however, as I mentioned yesterday, completely drawn to the cymbals in the 1976 version. If only the vocals had been more prominent it may have been the definitive version. The DTS, even at 24/96, removes that fine edge that LPCM 24/96 delivers. Given that this was recorded so well and the tapes are analogue, a blu-ray with 5.1 : 24/192 LPCM (such as the Beck blu-ray) would probably have placed it firmly in the top 10. These frustrating format wars!

As you will have seen in the photo the whole package is rather good and pretty good value (in fact about the same as two bottles of the wine!).

Thanks for your supportive comment. As it seemed that I had the only copy in the QQ universe I did think I should sit down with a pen and pad (plus the Rioja) and provide what might be perceived as informed comments. It is, as you say, quite hard and I spent ages going back and forth between the three versions having quickly realised that each had something to offer. I am however, as I mentioned yesterday, completely drawn to the cymbals in the 1976 version. If only the vocals had been more prominent it may have been the definitive version. The DTS, even at 24/96, removes that fine edge that LPCM 24/96 delivers. Given that this was recorded so well and the tapes are analogue, a blu-ray with 5.1 : 24/192 LPCM (such as the Beck blu-ray) would probably have placed it firmly in the top 10. These frustrating format wars!

As you will have seen in the photo the whole package is rather good and pretty good value (in fact about the same as two bottles of the wine!).

Thanks again, omega4, for taking the time to go through all the codecs Sunburst Finish has to offer. And with that statement you made [which I highlighted] you said a mouthful! Essentially, they went through the trouble and expense of creating a brand spankin' new 5.1 surround remix and relegated it to a LOSSY DTS codec when there was plenty of room on that DVD to release it in a LOSSLESS LPCM 5.1 codec. To me, it's infuriating because whenever I compare the lossy DTS 5.1 codec to the LPCM LOSSLESS Stereo remaster, the latter always shines the brightest. And if we don't complain, ALL future Be Bop Deluxe 5.1 remasters will follow that same protocol.

Thanks again, omega4, for taking the time to go through all the codecs Sunburst Finish has to offer. And with that statement you made [which I highlighted] you said a mouthful! Essentially, they went through the trouble and expense of creating a brand spankin' new 5.1 surround remix and relegated it to a LOSSY DTS codec when there was plenty of room on that DVD to release it in a LOSSLESS LPCM 5.1 codec. To me, it's infuriating because whenever I compare the lossy DTS 5.1 codec to the LPCM LOSSLESS Stereo remaster, the latter always shines the brightest. And if we don't complain, ALL future Be Bop Deluxe 5.1 remasters will follow that same protocol.

Thank you for your thoughts on this 4-earredwonder and I totally agree. The worst thing for all of us here is that it didn't work for the Fleetwood Mac 5.1 albums which started high and then went into full reverse for reasons that entirely defeat me especially given the price charged. And tomorrow, Marillion "Clutching At Straws" arrives - oh yes, blu-ray and at 60% of the cost of Sunburst. Funny old world isn't it?

On a slightly related note, I bought most of the Eurythmics albums from HD Tracks at the weekend. These vary between 24/44.1 (which I held back on) and 24/48 to 24/96. So far I think the best sounding of these is "We Two Are One" which is 24/48 and stunningly good, probably better than the 24/96 albums but now I am wandering into Remastering which is generally to be seen as a warning to the buyer! It certainly does not necessarily mean better. Anyway that's for another thread.

Thank you for your thoughts on this 4-earredwonder and I totally agree. The worst thing for all of us here is that it didn't work for the Fleetwood Mac 5.1 albums which started high and then went into full reverse for reasons that entirely defeat me especially given the price charged. And tomorrow, Marillion "Clutching At Straws" arrives - oh yes, blu-ray and at 60% of the cost of Sunburst. Funny old world isn't it?

On a slightly related note, I bought most of the Eurythmics albums from HD Tracks at the weekend. These vary between 24/44.1 (which I held back on) and 24/48 to 24/96. So far I think the best sounding of these is "We Two Are One" which is 24/48 and stunningly good, probably better than the 24/96 albums but now I am wandering into Remastering which is generally to be seen as a warning to the buyer! It certainly does not necessarily mean better. Anyway that's for another thread.

I was going to mention the Fleetwood Mac LOSSY 5.1 remasters and even the TULLS because on my system, the same applies for Steve Wilson's brilliant remixes for the latter .... they sound fine in DTS until you play the equivalent LOSSLESS Stereo remasters......which almost shame the LOSSY 5.1s.

My question, why are they doing this? Are all the Majors eventually going to screw us again by releasing all their LOSSY 5.1 remixes in STERLING LOSSLESS 5.1 downloads for $25~$35 each?

I know a lot of QQers are just ecstatic to have the 5.1 remixes and don't really care if they're LOSSY. But I have separate components and can easily tell the difference and believe me, it's not subtle.

BTW, I just received shipping confirmation from Deep Discount that my Sunburst Finish set is on its way. At least the $46 delivered price tag was not exorbitant [AmazonUK is charging £75.31= $96.22US*] but still!

*OUCH!

Last edited:
Back