Be-Bop Deluxe in surround! (“Drastic Plastic” out in 2021!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DTS & DD are unacceptable, but DTS 96/24 is just fine. The Tulls sound absolutely wonderful. I will accept that compromise every day.

To Each his own. I played the TULL last night [This Was] in DTS 4.1 and 96/24 Lossless Stereo. They both sound wonderful but the lossless stereo was still better, IMO. I only wish the DTS was 96/24 ..........it's NOT! It's still a treat to have a genuine Steve Wilson 4.1 remix....makes up for a lack of imagination with a lot of recent so~called 5.1 REMIXES.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving, Larry.

Last edited:
To Each his own. I played the TULL last night [This Was] in DTS 4.1 and 96/24 Lossless Stereo. They both sound wonderful but the lossless stereo was still better, IMO. I only wish the DTS was 96/24 ..........it's NOT! It's still a treat to have a genuine Steve Wilson 4.1 remix....makes up for a lack of imagination with a lot of recent so~called 5.1 REMIXES.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving, Larry.
The DTS IS 26/94.

The DTS IS 24/96.

In THEORY only......trust me on that. DTS MA HD and Dolby True HD are LOSSLESS! They could've utilized LOSSLESS LPCM on all the Tulls and in doing so would NOT have to pay royalties to DTS nor Dolby.

Larry, to my ears, the BEST of the TULL remixes was Aqualung which was released as a LOSSLESS BD~A/V. I only wish ALL the TULLS were released in this fashion.

There is not room for lossless PCM 5.1 surround on a DVD, only space for stereo lossless 96/24 PCM. Yeah, of course lossless is better than lossy, but my point was that if you have to go DVD, DTS 96/24 is as good as it gets, and is an acceptable compromise. I have both Aqualungs, and the difference is not that great. Both are wonderful.

On another matter

I don't know how many of you are American Football fans. I've been watching since 1982, when it was first shown here in the UK.
But I've just seen the highlights of one of the most high scoring, exciting and full on games ever.
Between the Chiefs and the Rams.
Fantastic

Sorry for going off topic ..just had to express myself on a truly remarkable game.
I'll stop now.

Snood NFL fan - but my team Oakland Sux - That monday night game KC VS RAMS was AWEEEESOME :SB

There is not room for lossless PCM 5.1 surround on a DVD, only space for stereo lossless 96/24 PCM. Yeah, of course lossless is better than lossy, but my point was that if you have to go DVD, DTS 96/24 is as good as it gets, and is an acceptable compromise. I have both Aqualungs, and the difference is not that great. Both are wonderful.

Larry, DVDs can go some seven layers and there's plenty of room for a lossless LPCM 5.1 remix but it's a moot point because that's what they gave us and it is better than nothing.

Larry, DVDs can go some seven layers and there's plenty of room for a lossless LPCM 5.1 remix but it's a moot point because that's what they gave us and it is better than nothing.
OK, then name just one that has one. You can't.

DVDs are not cakes. They can only have 2 layers, max.

Last edited:
You're confusing layers (physical) and audio tracks (digital). A DVD-V can contain up to eight different audio tracks to accompany one video track, but lossless surround sound is not an acceptable audio track option in the DVD-V spec. So, while an audio DVD-V with simple still image video tracks/menus might physically contain enough space to house a lossless surround sound track, no DVD-V player would be able to read or play it back properly.

Mine turned up today :LB though I haven't had a chance to listen to it. Its a nice package, and glancing through the book going by the images of the Tape Boxes it seems that it was recorded at 30i.p.s, so the original analogue recording should have been top notch, though sadly it looks like no 5.1 LPCM :cry:

This is a band I saw live in the mid-70s quite a few times, always excellent.

Mine turned up today :LB though I haven't had a chance to listen to it. Its a nice package, and glancing through the book going by the images of the Tape Boxes it seems that it was recorded at 30i.p.s, so the original analogue recording should have been top notch, though sadly it looks like no 5.1 LPCM :cry:

This is a band I saw live in the mid-70s quite a few times, always excellent.

30 ips 'downconverted' to LOSSY DTS 5.1 > Unconscionable!

I also saw them live [only once] with the TUBES and both bands were excellent!

30 ips 'downconverted' to LOSSY DTS 5.1 > Unconscionable!

I also saw them live [only once] with the TUBES and both bands were excellent!
I saw The Tubes only once, they played my University, a great gig, I can't remember if it was when I was still a student or after I'd finished and was still living there - too many years ago!

The bar has been set so high recently, with those little gems that have caressed our ears.

So with that in mind, here we go then, with my short appraisal :

Firstly, I'm thoroughly enjoying this album.
To my ears the Dolby version has the best overall quality.
My rears needed cranking up a bit.
Fidelity is great
Is there much going on in the rears?
Yes...but there could be more.
There is separation but reverb comes in now and again.
I hope you all enjoy this release as much as I am.

There we are then, that's my two penneth.

My favourite track is Blazing Apostles.

The whole package is very well done.
And for some reason my eyes are drawn to a flaming guitar on the TV....o_O

Last edited:
I finally had the chance to play the DTS 5.1 [and LPCM Stereo] of Sunburst Finish on my main system last night and became 'reacquainted' with an album and group I always loved and admired. The results did not disappoint. For once, I who am NOT a fan of lossy codecs found the DTS 5.1 and Lossless Stereo to be on par with each other with a nice balance of vocals and instrumentation front to rear.

While not the most adventuresome remix, it was extremely tasteful, and the box set packaging was top notch and there were no compression artifacts on the remastered 2018 Stereo RBCD. I have not played the BBC RBCD, as yet.

Highly recommended and hopefully, we'll hear more in surround from Be~Bop deluxe.

Back