Be-Bop Deluxe in surround! (“Drastic Plastic” out in 2021!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was finally able to get my copy today held at the post office due to a screw up with my mail. Anyways I opened it up and it is quite the package. Hopefully I actually get to listen to it this weekend........got my copy form deepdiscount.

I was finally able to get my copy today held at the post office due to a screw up with my mail. Anyways I opened it up and it is quite the package. Hopefully I actually get to listen to it this weekend........got my copy form deepdiscount.

Mine arrived from Deep Discount today as well. Very nice looking set. I sure hope they do more - Drastic Plastic and Modern Music please!

At last my copy came from Cherry red.
It has almost been an pain to read all the reviews without being able to listen to it.
I think the surround is all i hoped for.
The sound quality is also OK except that the bass is not so distinct as i would like but i guess we would need an lossless version of this to fulfil all the wishes.
Compared to what i listened to back in the days when it was released this is so much better that it can´t even be described.
I think this music is really made for surround!
It´s going to be an fantastic listening weekend now!

Last edited:
Just listened to the DTS 5.1 now listening to the original stereo mix I'm liking this its new to me. I do sense that there's more bass in the stereo mix. Its growing on me a few more listens are warranted....

Try raising the volume on the 5.1 remix vs. the stereo. It should restore some of the lost bass. This is one remix/remaster where I was not disappointed in the LOSSY DTS 5.1 as opposed to the Lossless Stereo remix.

You're confusing layers (physical) and audio tracks (digital). A DVD-V can contain up to eight different audio tracks to accompany one video track, but lossless surround sound is not an acceptable audio track option in the DVD-V spec. So, while an audio DVD-V with simple still image video tracks/menus might physically contain enough space to house a lossless surround sound track, no DVD-V player would be able to read or play it back properly.

Question though jedi ,

Does using DVDA eliminate the problem of using an image (not still) and correct playback in that hirez format ?

After being on the road all week, I finally have a chance to sit down and hear this one, and I'm enjoying it immensely. Not as familiar with this title, haven't listened to the stereo in several years, but this 5.1 mix is delightful. I'm not noticing a deficiency in the bass; the tonal balance overall seems very good to me, and the instruments and vocals are deliciously clean and clear, typical of so many of these back-to-the-multitrack releases with which we've been rewarded lately. I'd forgotten how catchy these tunes were! Just what I needed on a rainy Saturday afternoon.

Question though jedi ,

Does using DVDA eliminate the problem of using an image (not still) and correct playback in that hirez format ?
I do believe DVD-Audio can only display still images while playing back audio from the AUDIO_TS folder (i.e. MLP "Advanced Resolution" 5.1 or 2.0 losslessly compressed audio). This is one of the advantages of Blu-ray over DVD of any stripe: lossless surround (be it DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD, or LPCM) is a valid audio track for any video track.

No word on content (or 5.1) yet but apparently Bill has said to expect a deluxe set of Futurama this year. I'll try find the link but between all the posts me makes on his four, plus his online journal entries - makes it not too easy sometimes to remember where you saw something!

17BDF6A9-8385-4BC5-B523-6EFEC7C418B1.jpeg

“Futurama” deluxe edition (with 5.1 surround) out in April! (Confirmed by Mark Powell on Facebook)

:)
17BDF6A9-8385-4BC5-B523-6EFEC7C418B1.jpeg

hey rt!!! Thanks for the update and the thread re-titling!!!
Can't wait for this one if it's as great as Sunburst Finish!!!!!!!!

Which probably means Sunburst Finish sold well.

I was beginning to wonder if 2019 was going to be a 5.1 drought situation ......... now, my prayers have been answered....well, partially. I guess I'll just have to pray HARDER!

:hi

Saw Be-Bop Deluxe at Cleveland Colosseum in 1976. Climax Blues Band opened and Foghat headlined. The whole reason I wanted to go was for Be-Bop Deluxe. Everyone around me was going "Who the hell is that?" Back then, if you didn't listen to WMMS out of Cleveland, you didn't hear BBD....ever. Mainstream rock stations didn't play their stuff. I was always into obscure stuff anyway. Once a band hit mainstream or popular status, their stock went way down for me. In 1974-76, WMMS was playing music by artists like; The Sensational Alex Harvey Band, Steve Gibbons Band, Patti Smith, Suzy Quatro, Dr. Feelgood, Montrose, Roxy Music, Rush and The Tubes (before they were popular). My wife is always amazed that I have all of these albums by bands, but not the albums with their hits. I digress, the BBD show was great and all of my friends were impressed, even though they had not heard of them before, (unless they rode in my car). The album Futurama was my first exposure to BBD. So I am looking forward to hearing it again. This time in 5.1. Since receiving the Sunburst Finish box set, it has been in frequent rotation around here.

Very psyched about this! Futurama is where I came in like Dennis. I was standing in Tower Records one day and bought Futurama based on THE COVER ART. When I got home and put the record on I was completely floored! Never got to see them in San Diego it just never worked out. This will be one of the most played surround discs in my collection once it gets here. :LB

Full details here: https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/be-bop-deluxe-futurama-3cd-1dvd-limited-edition-deluxe-boxset/

Be-Bop Deluxe: Futurama, 3CD/1DVD Limited Edition Deluxe Boxset, Released April 26, 2019.

• A DELUXE 4 DISC LIMITED EDITION BOXED SET OF THE CLASSIC 1975 ALBUM BY BE BOP DELUXE
• NEWLY REMASTERED FROM THE ORIGINAL MASTER TAPES
• FEATURING AN ADDITIONAL 36 BONUS TRACKS DRAWN FROM NEW 5.1 SURROUND SOUND & STEREO MIXES FROM THE ORIGINAL MULTI-TRACK MASTER TAPES, BBC RADIO SESSIONS FROM 1975 (INCLUDING A PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED “LOST” BBC IN CONCERT PERFORMANCE FROM MAY 1975), PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED OUT-TAKE FROM THE ALBUM SESSIONS, AND A PREVIOUSLY RELEASED 1975 HARVEST RECORDS PROMO VIDEO OF “MAID IN HEAVEN” & A BBC TV OLD GREY WHISTLE TEST APPEARANCE FROM JULY 1975
• INCLUDES A LAVISHLY ILLUSTRATED 68 PAGE BOOK WITH MANY PREVIOUSLY UNSEEN PHOTOGRAPHS &
NEW ESSAY BY BILL NELSON
ALSO INCLUDES A REPLICA RECORD STORE POSTER, POSTCARDS AND ALBUM TRACK SHEETS

Esoteric Recordings is proud to announce the release of a new re-mastered four disc deluxe expanded boxed set limited edition (comprising 3 CDs and a DVD) of FUTURAMA the legendary 1975 album by BE BOP DELUXE.

Recorded in the first two months of 1975 at Rockfield studios (with some sessions also taking place at SARM studios in London), FUTURAMA was the second album by Be Bop Deluxe and the first to feature the line-up of BILL NELSON (vocals, guitars, keyboards), CHARLIE TUMAHAI (bass, vocals) and SIMON FOX (drums). Produced by Roy Thomas Baker (who at the time was also working with Queen), FUTURAMA was an album of immense musical inventiveness and creativity and was a huge leap forward in creative terms for Bill Nelson.

The album gained much praise thanks to Bill Nelson’s composition skills and his highly innovative guitar playing. Featuring such wonderful material as ‘Maid in Heaven’, ‘Sister Seagull’, ‘Music in Dreamland’, ‘Sound Track’, ‘Between the Worlds’, ‘Jean Cocteau’ and ‘Swan Song’, the album would see Be Bop Deluxe heralded as one of the most accomplished acts of 1975.

This expanded reissue has been newly re-mastered from the original master tapes and features an additional 36 bonus tracks drawn from a stunning new 5.1 surround sound & stereo mixes from the original multi-track tapes by award winning engineer Stephen W. Tayler, a previously unreleased out-take from the album sessions, a previously unissued BBC Radio “In Concert” performance from May 1975 (thought “lost” for some years), a rare John Peel Show session from March 1975, along with a previously unreleased 1975 Harvest Records promotional video for ‘Maid in Heaven’ and a session for BBC TV’s “Old Grey Whistle Test” show from July 1975.

Another highlight of this limited edition boxed set is the lavishly illustrated 68-page book with many previously unseen photographs and an essay of recollections by Bill Nelson. Additionally, the set includes a facsimile Record Store poster for FUTURAMA, replica track sheets, and postcards. This special deluxe limited edition boxed set of FUTURAMA is a fitting tribute to a fine band, the creative vision of Bill Nelson and a wonderful album.

DISC ONE: CD
FUTURAMA
THE ORIGINAL ALBUM REMASTERED:

1. STAGE WHISPERS
  2. LOVE WITH THE MADMAN
  3. MAID IN HEAVEN
  4. SISTER SEAGULL
  5. SOUND TRACK
  6. MUSIC IN DREAMLAND
  7. JEAN COCTEAU
  8. BETWEEN THE WORLDS
  9. SWAN SONG

BONUS TRACKS
  1. BETWEEN THE WORLDS (SINGLE VERSION)
  2. LIGHTS

DISC TWO: CD
FUTURAMA
THE NEW STEREO MIX:

1. STAGE WHISPERS (NEW STEREO MIX)
  2. LOVE WITH THE MADMAN (NEW STEREO MIX)
  3. MAID IN HEAVEN (NEW STEREO MIX)
  4. SISTER SEAGULL (NEW STEREO MIX)
  5. SOUND TRACK (NEW STEREO MIX)
  6. MUSIC IN DREAMLAND (NEW STEREO MIX)
  7. JEAN COCTEAU (NEW STEREO MIX)
  8. BETWEEN THE WORLDS (NEW STEREO MIX)
  9. SWAN SONG (NEW STEREO MIX)

BONUS TRACKS
  1. BETWEEN THE WORLDS (SINGLE VERSION) (NEW STEREO MIX)
  2. LIGHTS (NEW STEREO MIX)
  3. MUSIC IN DREAMLAND (PHONOGRAM STUDIOS VERSION)
(PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)
13. BETWEEN THE WORLDS (ALTERNATE SINGLE VERSION)
(PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)

DISC THREE: CD
BBC RADIO ONE “JOHN PEEL SHOW” SESSION
11th MARCH 1975:

1. STAGE WHISPERS (BBC SESSION MARCH 1975)
  2. SISTER SEAGULL (BBC SESSION MARCH 1975)
  3. MAID IN HEAVEN (BBC SESSION MARCH 1975)
  4. LIGHTS (BBC SESSION MARCH 1975)

BBC RADIO ONE “IN CONCERT”
23rd MAY 1975 – PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED:

5. STAGE WHISPERS (BBC IN CONCERT MAY 1975)
(PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)
6. THIRD FLOOR HEAVEN
(BBC IN CONCERT MAY 1975)
(PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)
7. ADVENTURES IN A YORKSHIRE LANDSCAPE
(BBC IN CONCERT MAY 1975)
(PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)
8. SISTER SEAGULL (BBC IN CONCERT MAY 1975)
(PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)
9. PIECE OF MINE (BBC IN CONCERT MAY 1975)
(PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)
10. MAID IN HEAVEN (BBC IN CONCERT MAY 1975)
(PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)
11. AXE VICTIM (BBC IN CONCERT MAY 1975)
(PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)

DISC FOUR: DVD
FUTURAMA
THE NEW 5.1 SURROUND SOUND MIX, NEW 96 KHZ / 24-BIT STEREO MIX AND 96 KHZ / 24-BIT ORIGINAL STEREO MIX

1. STAGE WHISPERS (5.1 SURROUND MIX)
  2. LOVE WITH THE MADMAN (5.1 SURROUND MIX)
  3. MAID IN HEAVEN (5.1 SURROUND MIX)
  4. SISTER SEAGULL (5.1 SURROUND MIX)
  5. SOUND TRACK (5.1 SURROUND MIX)
  6. MUSIC IN DREAMLAND (5.1 SURROUND MIX)
  7. JEAN COCTEAU (5.1 SURROUND MIX)
  8. BETWEEN THE WORLDS (5.1 SURROUND MIX)
  9. SWAN SONG (5.1 SURROUND MIX)

BONUS AUDIO MATERIAL
  1. BETWEEN THE WORLDS (SINGLE VERSION) (5.1 SURROUND MIX)
  2. LIGHTS (5.1 SURROUND MIX)
  3. MUSIC IN DREAMLAND (PHONOGRAM STUDIOS VERSION) (5.1 SURROUND MIX)

BONUS VIDEO MATERIAL
  1. MAID IN HEAVEN (OLD GREY WHISTLE TEST)
  2. SISTER SEAGULL (OLD GREY WHISTLE TEST)

BBC TV “OLD GREY WHISTLE TEST” SESSION
19th JULY 1975

15. MAID IN HEAVEN
(PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED PROMO VIDEO)

1975 HARVEST RECORDS PROMOTIONAL VIDEO

:)

Back