Best Buy Drops CDs on July 1st, LPs Get 2 More Years

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the last 5 years Best Buy is a company that many thought would fold by now....financial forecasts every year has them as a "possible" out of business candidate...but they have managed to stay afloat...

For the last 5 years Best Buy is a company that many thought would fold by now....financial forecasts every year has them as a "possible" out of business candidate...but they have managed to stay afloat...

To fully disclose....in the last 2 years....I've purchased a 65" TV, a new laptop, a wireless printer.....
So - I do shop there. :)

To fully disclose....in the last 2 years....I've purchased a 65" TV, a new laptop, a wireless printer.....
So - I do shop there. :)

I bought my first HD TV there...a 34 inch TUBE set...thing weighed almost 300 lbs...and my first Plasma TV there...and computers and other items...there is one near me...it was the place to go...that and Sound Advice and of course Circuit City:spot

Did you actually go to the brick and mortar store...or online..

Bricks man...bricks. I've never purchased from BB online. I admit, I still get a thrill looking and smelling all the electronics. Yes, I said "smelling"
I know...I know. Nothing quite like the smell of new electronics.

Well...there may be a close second...but I better stop right there. :yikes

I bought my first HD TV there...a 34 inch TUBE set...thing weighed almost 300 lbs...and my first Plasma TV there...and computers and other items...there is one near me...it was the place to go...that and Sound Advice and of course Circuit City:spot

My wife used to go "batty" because she knew if we went to Champaign....that she would just drop me off at Best Buy while she shopped elsewhere. I would spend a couple hours there easy. CC was also local, but they never seemed to be quite as cool as BB.

When the first Best Buy opened near me, they had an awesome CD section with imports at reasonable prices. I too would spend lots of time there.

When Best Buy came around these parts I was totally psyched. I had heard of them but we never had one, then the local Computer City closed and a Best Buy went in. So cool. They had SACDs on a little shelf stuck in the back of the store with a $1000 Sony SACD player at first. No one knew what they were. They were all silver cardboard jacketed, and most were stereo only.

A year or so later, along with the very large CD and DVD sections, they suddenly had a "DVD-A and SACD" section. WAY COOL!! The biggest problem with these sections was that once the good titles were gone, and many times they only got them once and only 3 or 4 copies at best, they would never reorder, thus they turned into Silverline wastelands, which did not help the format at all.

Soon those sections were gone, then the CD section shrunk, and now it's hard to fine in the store. So these days, the loss is, to me, no big deal. I haven't bought a CD there in years.

Pittsburgh has lots of good indie music retailers so we are lucky, but if I had to go to a chain for music, it would be B&N.

I was in a Best Buy last week and the cd selection was pitiful. Will they still sell on line or are they only discontinuing cd's in store. The article is vague.

CDs will only be replaced by lossless and/or high resolution audio files. Even if mp4s are used I’d still want an audiophile copy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back