Best Concord Jazz Surround SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Had a question about the Concord Jazz Surround Sound SACDs and which ones to look for.

They came out as part of the label's 30th Anniversary. After the 30 Surround SACDs for the 30th Anniversary, Concord released a few more
before stopping.

I enjoyed many of these SACD Surround Sound Hybrid Disc releases. But these are the ones I would recommend looking for and grabbing if you find them......
* Monica Mancini, Stevie Wonder & Take 6 - Ultimate Mancini (SACD 1034)
* Poncho Sanchez - Out of Sight! (SACD 1031)
* Chick Corea - Rendezvous in New York: 2 SACD Disc Set [DSD Recording] (SACD 2-9041)
* Gene Harris & Scott Hamilton - At Last (SACD 1036)
* Ray Charles & Friends - Genius Loves Company (SACD 1033)
* Ray Brown Trio - Summer Wind: Live at LOA (SACD 1027)
* Poncho Sanchez - Conga Blue (SACD 1013)
* Gene Harris Quartet - Listen Here! (SACD 1006)
* Art Blakely & the Jazz Messengers (SACD 1001)
* Stan Getz - Pure Getz (SACD 1000)
* Jim Hall Quartet - All Across the City (SACD 1003)
* Cal Tjader - La Onda Va Bien (SACD 1020)

Great idea for a thread... most of these are still fairly available and not too expensive. I bought lots of these when Concord had them on sale several years back.

These Concords have gotten the most play here:
both Poncho Sanchez discs
Chick Corea
Stan Getz
Ray Charles
Art Blakey

To this I would add:
Tito Puente: Goza Mi Timbal (With emphasis! Love this one...)
Pete Escovedo: Mister E
Nnenna Freelon: Shaking Free (if you like female vocal jazz)
Jack McDuff, Joey DeFrancesco: It's About Time (This is a great disc, dueling Hammond B3s, but one major problem - mastering errors on two tracks in surround and so far as I know all copies have this issue.)

Can't remember specifics about the mixes offhand, but there's some good music on the Concord SACDs.

Also, Telarc is a division of Concord and I have a couple dozen of their SACDS. Some of those are surround standouts including the Al Di Meola, LAGQ, and Ladysmith Black Mambazo releases. I have a few on Concord's Heads Up label too.

Mark Z

Callmez adds some good ones to the list. I was trying to limit my favorites list to 10 - but ended up with 12! Tough to choose.

On "It's About Time", I love the album. But the mastering error on the 2 Surround Tracks left it off the Surround list for me.
If you can ignore that, it's an excellent SACD as well.

Great list! If we're just talkin' Concord, I would add;

Gary Burton "Like Minds" - with a not too shabby band of Chick Corea, Pat Metheny, Roy Haynes and Dave Holland.

Ditto on Telarc/Heads Up - besides the aforementioned, I would include Hiromi, Hiroshima & Jaco Pastorius Big Band - oh and Spyrogyra & Yellowjackets are fun if not essential.

Thanks Elmer.

Hmm, I'm thinking it might make sense to start separate threads on favorite Surround SACDs from Heads Up and Telarc.
Lots of favorites there !

Looks like I've got a few more discs in my wanted list...

Thanks everyone.....

I had always thought no one really cared about jazz but QL and me here at QQ. Telarc has a great selection as does concord. The Blue note label has carried this stuff for years.
Sadly, not enough have time to unlock and enjoy these masters. I usually sit here in awe listening to this stuff, and letting it do it's thing. Unfortunatly not near enough in 5.1.

Great idea for a thread... most of these are still fairly available and not too expensive. I bought lots of these when Concord had them on sale several years back.

These Concords have gotten the most play here:
both Poncho Sanchez discs
Chick Corea
Stan Getz
Ray Charles
Art Blakey

To this I would add:
Tito Puente: Goza Mi Timbal (With emphasis! Love this one...)
Pete Escovedo: Mister E
Nnenna Freelon: Shaking Free (if you like female vocal jazz)
Jack McDuff, Joey DeFrancesco: It's About Time (This is a great disc, dueling Hammond B3s, but one major problem - mastering errors on two tracks in surround and so far as I know all copies have this issue.)

Can't remember specifics about the mixes offhand, but there's some good music on the Concord SACDs.

Also, Telarc is a division of Concord and I have a couple dozen of their SACDS. Some of those are surround standouts including the Al Di Meola, LAGQ, and Ladysmith Black Mambazo releases. I have a few on Concord's Heads Up label too.

Mark Z

good to hear some love for the Tito Puente! (y)

I have many of the Concord and Telarc Jazz SACD's. Don't forget blues. The titles that I think are most outstanding:

Concord:
Like Minds - Burton, Metheny, Haynes & Holland
Rendezvous - Corea et al (who's this guy Al?)
Pure Getz - Stan the Man
Mr. E. - Pete Escovedo (where's Mamita Linda?)

Telarc/Head's Up:
Junior Wells - Come on in this House
Randy Brecker - Some Skunk Funk

Great list! If we're just talkin' Concord, I would add;

Gary Burton "Like Minds" - with a not too shabby band of Chick Corea, Pat Metheny, Roy Haynes and Dave Holland.

Ditto on Telarc/Heads Up - besides the aforementioned, I would include Hiromi, Hiroshima & Jaco Pastorius Big Band - oh and Spyrogyra & Yellowjackets are fun if not essential.

all great stuff! (y)

I think the only Heads Up that I've found disappointing in surround was the Michael Brecker "Pilgrimage", all the others were either great or excellent.

..of the Concords only the Hank Jones/George Shearing "Spirit of 176" was underwhelming, though to be fair there wasn't a lot of scope for anything discrete going on.. still there's not much sensation of the recording space, sadly, which is what one would hope for from something with just a lone instrument going on (or in this case two!).

I have many of the Concord and Telarc Jazz SACD's. Don't forget blues. The titles that I think are most outstanding:

Concord:
Pure Getz - Stan the Man

Telarc/Head's Up:

everytime I crank up Skunk Funk (its an awesome live presentation, maybe a bit bright!?) I long for more Billy Cobham in surround! spooky that.. :eek:

Though it's not in surround, if you like the Breckers & Cobham, try this one, which feature all three of them:
00153693_medium.jpeg
John Abercrombie is on guitar, occasional Doors bassist Doug Lubahn, and a fantastic unknown vocalist named Eddie Vernon. If you like B,S & T & Chicago, you'll love this. New York: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se6IGAwq8YI

everytime I crank up Skunk Funk (its an awesome live presentation, maybe a bit bright!?) I long for more Billy Cobham in surround! spooky that.. :eek:

Though it's not in surround, if you like the Breckers & Cobham, try this one, which feature all three of them:
View attachment 10657
John Abercrombie is on guitar and a fantastic unknown vocalist named Eddie Vernon. If you like B,S & T & Chicago, you'll love this.

Yes! You've mentioned this one before!

I must "check it out, check it out, check it out..!"

(oh your Quadjesty, your Quadjesty, I heard the bosun cry..!!) :p

The Tito disc is a lot of fun, my wife loves Latin music and I'd say she's pulled me in as well.

So are we throwing out all of our favorite Telarcs and HeadsUp releases here too?

Mark Z

it's bmoura's thread, you best ask him! though I hope so, there's loads of great Heads Up surround discs! :D

On the strength of the one Maynard Ferguson track on the Concord Jazz Sampler Vol. 2, I hunted down a used version of this out of print title on Discogs:

1f8e44760f7e2b375792d7aa02e377ca.jpg

This one blew my mind! An easy 10 in terms of sound quality and surround mix. Very discreet, with various instruments placed all around you. If you like powerful big band jazz, this is a must-have. If you can’t find it, at least get the Concord sampler which is still readily available for cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the strength of the one Maynard Ferguson track on the Concord Jazz Sampler Vol. 2, I hunted down a used version of this out of print title on Discogs:

1f8e44760f7e2b375792d7aa02e377ca.jpg

This one blew my mind! An easy 10 in terms of sound quality and surround mix. Very discreet, with various instruments placed all around you. If you like powerful big band jazz, this is a must-have. If you can’t find it, at least get the Concord sampler which is still readily available for cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks mrcond - Ordered, can't wait to hear it!

Concord:
Pure Getz - Stan the Man

Telarc/Head's Up:
I'm only missing the Pure Getz on this list, better get my sniffer to the ground and hunt it down:dance

Add the Jack McDuff-Joey Defrancesco disc-It's about time- but I'm still looking for one that doesn't skip on the track "Yesterdays" Also, the Charlie Byrd- Bossa Nova Years- is well done.
Like Minds is an excellent recording but surround wise Dave Holland is hard to hear compared to the 2 channel version. I love the Tito album Goza Mi Timbal; great disc to show off your surround set up.

Back