Bitches Brew Quadraphonic SACD from Sony Japan

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder ...if they took Robin's reel conversion as their master...we shall see..

Kap, why would they if they have access to the original QUAD Open Reel Masters [most probably 15 ips]?

At any rate, good to hear pre~orders are brisk @ CDJapan [#1 selling SACD] which hopefully translates into MORE FUTURE QUAD SACDs!

I've also pre-ordered it from Amazon. I compared cdjapan and Amazon and the latter is slightly better taking into account the import fees in Spain. It's dammed expensive though, but it's my fave Miles album and I cannot miss a quad SACD
Poltergeist! I'm sure I created an account in Amazon Japan but it vanished. Cannot find the confirmation mail either, really really strange. Now I don't know if ordering it again or what.

Eagerly awaiting this. I highly recommend it in its liquid form, also. :cool:

20180708_200442.jpg

Ordered from amazon.jp.
Had to create a whole nother amazon account (as with canada, uk ... )

Anyone know if I will get the 5% discount using my Amazon Prime Visa?

The cover of the Multichannel SACD has popped up on amazon.com and it does have the Quadraphonic insignia at the top:
81zxtjtpE9L._SL1500_.jpg

thanks for the pic RT (y)
i guess it makes sense for the Japanese SQ Quad LP set artwork to be used for the new SACD set from Japan, although personally I really enjoyed seeing the previous Jeff Beck Rough & Ready Japanese MultiCh SACD with the old CBS SQ Quadraphonic LP gold bordered art from the U.S., I ain't complaining, I'm just so happy we're getting this in discrete surround, legit - at last!

Last edited:
One month to go until the August 17 release date.

I just checked the yen exchange rate, and my pre-order from CDJapan with shipping is still cheaper than Amazon.
If it takes a bit longer to get delivered, so be it.
I've been waiting since 1970 to hear it in quad.

Interesting that it was recorded the week after the Woodstock Festival, August 19-21, 1969.
So the SACD comes out on the 49th anniversary almost to the day.

220px-Woodstock_Original_Soundtrack_1970.jpg

When you consider that we are talking about amazon...that might not even be the correct image...they still can't seem to get these item descriptions correct a lot of the time..

If you enlarge the image at CDJapan it's the same cover although Amazon's price is roughly $30 higher: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SICJ-10008?s_ssid=e3505c5b4e3314b5af

Apparently, no mention of special 7" packaging anywhere! A Bummer.

The release date, according to CDJapan, is August 8th.

When you consider that we are talking about amazon...that might not even be the correct image...they still can't seem to get these item descriptions correct a lot of the time..

true, true, Mr. E..!
i guess that's what happens when a company gets planetoid big.. truth be told, however the cover looks, i'll just be over the moon to retire those SQ LPs (and I didn't even have to hunt down no cock-a-doodie download for a discrete version, e-verrrrr..!!) but can soon get me a nice one of them ultra luxuriant exotically packaged Japanesey lemon squeezy yes'sir pleasey how are these-eey DSDeezee easy peasey SACDeezees... yippee!! come on you Sony Japan Bitches, get Surround SACD Brewing..!!! :ROFLMAO:

true, true, Mr. E..!
i guess that's what happens when a company gets planetoid big.. truth be told, however the cover looks, i'll just be over the moon to retire those SQ LPs (and I didn't even have to hunt down no cock-a-doodie download for a discrete version, e-verrrrr..!!) but can soon get me a nice one of them ultra luxuriant exotically packaged Japanesey lemon squeezy yes'sir pleasey how are these-eey DSDeezee easy peasey SACDeezees... yippee!! come on you Sony Japan Bitches, get Surround SACD Brewing..!!! :ROFLMAO:

BTW, Adamo, how did those SQ BB discs sound via the surround master. And be honest: When you have the SQ/QS Vinyl and a company like D~V reissues them as QUAD SACDs, how accurate are the decodings via the Aussie decoder in comparison?

It's presently thundering and lightning in New York. My frazzled pussycat Mrs. Popadopolos is in hiding!

Boy do we need the rain. The humidity is stifling!

And be honest: When you have the SQ/QS Vinyl and a company like D~V reissues them as QUAD SACDs, how accurate are the decodings via the Aussie decoder in comparison?

This probably belongs in another thread, but to me the funny thing about decoding matrix vinyl is that once I've heard the discrete master (via a Q8 or an SACD release from D-V, AF, etc), the decoded LP sounds quite a bit more discrete now that I know which sounds/instruments should project from where. But then there's really no point in spinning it once I've got the SACD :(

The Involve unit gives you a basic idea of channel placement, but obviously lacks the nuance of a discrete 4-channel master. I find the most annoying thing about it is that it struggles to wipe the lead vocal out of the rear channels (Columbia quad mixes have the vocals hard center front 99% of the time). The Fosgate decoder and audition scripts seem to do a better job wiping out that vocal. The lead vocal leakage is the rear channels in 90 degrees out of phase, so summing the rear channels to mono on an Involve decode almost completely suppresses it. What I usually do is export my decoded 4 channel file with the rears panned 75-80% left and right: it sacrifices a bit of stereo separation in the rears to increase the lead vocal suppression. The rear speakers in my Acura are pretty close together anyway.

Can't wait for this release! I don't have Bitches Brew in SQ, but I do have Live Evil and it's also quite a trip in surround.

This probably belongs in another thread, but to me the funny thing about decoding matrix vinyl is that once I've heard the discrete master (via a Q8 or an SACD release from D-V, AF, etc), the decoded LP sounds quite a bit more discrete now that I know which sounds/instruments should project from where. But then there's really no point in spinning it once I've got the SACD :(

The Involve unit gives you a basic idea of channel placement, but obviously lacks the nuance of a discrete 4-channel master. I find the most annoying thing about it is that it struggles to wipe the lead vocal out of the rear channels (Columbia quad mixes have the vocals hard center front 99% of the time). The Fosgate decoder and audition scripts seem to do a better job wiping out that vocal. The lead vocal leakage is the rear channels in 90 degrees out of phase, so summing the rear channels to mono on an Involve decode almost completely suppresses it. What I usually do is export my decoded 4 channel file with the rears panned 75-80% left and right: it sacrifices a bit of stereo separation in the rears to increase the lead vocal suppression. The rear speakers in my Acura are pretty close together anyway.

Can't wait for this release! I don't have Bitches Brew in SQ, but I do have Live Evil and it's also quite a trip in surround.

That's basically why I gave up on SQ/QS/EV/CD~4 vinyl. WAaaayyyyy too finicky. Columbia released Stereo Open Reel tapes in the early 70's and if I'm not mistaken, because Bitches Brew was a double LP, they released it in 3 3/4 ips. WHY oh WHY Columbia never released their QUAD masters as QUAD Open REELS will always remain a mystery [unless they had SO much $$$ invested in their SQ system, they stubbornly wanted NO competition to detract from it]. But ironically, Columbia also produced all their own Stereo Open Reels in house instead of utlizing AMPEX or MAGTEC but then again, they did release inferior Q8s instead.

I really think QUAD might've taken off if they did release their QUAD masters as Q4 Open Reels [RCA, Warners, even Vanguard produced QUAD ORs].

Really hope SONY Japan releases LIVE EVIL next on QUAD SACD. Another phenomenol Davis outing.

Back