Bjork - Vulnicura VR 360 Visual/Audio album to be released Sept 6, 2019

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
896C7A29-802D-4005-9DD3-4CB7957CE29A.jpeg

Bjork will release her 7 song set, Vulnicura in VR format on the gaming platform Steam, on Friday, Sept. 6, 2019. In reading the press releases, while not entirely clear, the audio will be in surround. I’m not equipped with the necessary gear for this but it sounds intriguing, if a bit obscure. Here are the links.

https://pitchfork.com/news/bjork-announces-new-vulnicura-vr-experience/

https://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/1095710/

View attachment 43025

Bjork will release her 7 song set, Vulnicura in VR format on the gaming platform Steam, on Friday, Sept. 6, 2019. In reading the press releases, while not entirely clear, the audio will be in surround. I’m not equipped with the necessary gear for this but it sounds intriguing, if a bit obscure. Here are the links.

I wonder if this is related to her show "Cornucopia," which was performed this past May in New York in "carefully positioned 360-degree sound."

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/björk-at-the-shed.26517/
Edit: I should've read some of the press releases before posting. I guess this is "related" to Cornucopia insofar as it reflects Bjork's ongoing fascination with evolutions in sound and video technology. (Here, by the way, is a review of Cornucopia by Will Hermes for Rolling Stone. Now I'm dying to experience it somehow!) But this is a separate project. "The VR version of Vulnicura collects the visuals [shot with a 360 camera] that have toured museums as part of the Björk Digital exhibition and have now been updated for a final version...Each song on the album is also accompanied by a new 360º animated score by Stephen Malinowski."

My son has Steam on his gaming computer, but it's not connected to the AVR in any way--and he doesn't have one of the required VR headsets. So I'm not sure how I'm gonna be able to hear/see this...

Last edited:
View attachment 43025

Is that a zip-lock bag on her noggin? lmao...I know...I know...

So back when Vulnicura came out on RBCD, Sound on Sound had a feature on its mixing and production. (Nothing on surround, per se, although Chris Elms does say that he felt "Stonemilker" "had to have a luxurious, 3D sound that you can immerse yourself in.")

But when the first VR video--for "Stonemilker," as it happens--came out in 2015 (you could only see it at MoMA PS1 or Rough Trade Records), Bjork told Pitchfork that the experience would be "as if you are on that beach [where she wrote the song, and where the video was also shot] and with the 30 players sitting in a circle tightly around you." "i had recorded the strings with a clip on mike on each instrument . we have made a different mix where we have fanned this in an intimate circle around the listener ."

She likes to release things in multiple formats. Why not an audio-only Atmos release? Or a Blu-Ray with 2D video and surround sound?

Edit/update: I can't figure out what technology they used for the surround mix--or what codecs Steam games use for audio, period, let alone for VR. But here's the (video) director, James Merry, talking to Digital Arts about what they did--and he as much as admits he doesn't entirely know what he's talking about:

"Björk really made sure that the sound in this is as amazing as it can be in VR. We basically had to invent new ways of mastering and mixing audio for VR because I believe the stems are usually normally unmastered, and then you master them together.​
"Normally in a game engine you put the stems in and the engine does it in real-time, but that would fuck with all the balances and mastering that Björk had done on the album.​
"So, Mandy Parnell, the mastering engineer, and Martin Korth, spent months and months with her in Iceland, where the solution was essentially mastering all the stems in some amazing 360° way. This meant when they’re mixed real-time in the engine, it’s all already mastered whilst still allowing for a real-time audio experience."​

Last edited:
So back when Vulnicura came out on RBCD, Sound on Sound had a feature on its mixing and production. (Nothing on surround, per se, although Chris Elms does say that he felt "Stonemilker" "had to have a luxurious, 3D sound that you can immerse yourself in.")

But when the first VR video--for "Stonemilker," as it happens--came out in 2015 (you could only see it at MoMA PS1 or Rough Trade Records), Bjork told Pitchfork that the experience would be "as if you are on that beach [where she wrote the song, and where the video was also shot] and with the 30 players sitting in a circle tightly around you." "i had recorded the strings with a clip on mike on each instrument . we have made a different mix where we have fanned this in an intimate circle around the listener ."

She likes to release things in multiple formats. Why not an audio-only Atmos release? Or a Blu-Ray with 2D video and surround sound?

Edit/update: I can't figure out what technology they used for the surround mix--or what codecs Steam games use for audio, period, let alone for VR. But here's the (video) director, James Merry, talking to Digital Arts about what they did--and he as much as admits he doesn't entirely know what he's talking about:

"Björk really made sure that the sound in this is as amazing as it can be in VR. We basically had to invent new ways of mastering and mixing audio for VR because I believe the stems are usually normally unmastered, and then you master them together.​
"Normally in a game engine you put the stems in and the engine does it in real-time, but that would fuck with all the balances and mastering that Björk had done on the album.​
"So, Mandy Parnell, the mastering engineer, and Martin Korth, spent months and months with her in Iceland, where the solution was essentially mastering all the stems in some amazing 360° way. This meant when they’re mixed real-time in the engine, it’s all already mastered whilst still allowing for a real-time audio experience."​

The price is now down to $20, but I still can't figure out how they engineered the sound, or if there's any way to "extract" the soundtrack and convert it into something playable through a consumer AVR. (And, frustratingly, no one at the label will answer my polite inquiries as to whether there are plans to release this album in any other format.)

But...say I owned a copy of this and wanted to backup the audio track for my own personal use. Would there be any way to do that? Is the sound they use for VR more like Ambisonics or more like Dolby Atmos? Can any of you audio engineers chime in here?

As I understand it they are using a 3D game engine where you position your sound sources in a three dimensional world and then the game engine calculate in real time the sound for the current position of the player in the virtual world. So I don’t think there are any way to extract an audio track, as there might not be an audio track in the first place!

As I understand it they are using a 3D game engine where you position your sound sources in a three dimensional world and then the game engine calculate in real time the sound for the current position of the player in the virtual world. So I don’t think there are any way to extract an audio track, as there might not be an audio track in the first place!

I wrote to Chris Elms to ask about the possibility of releasing the audio portion of Vulnicura VR in a more widely accessible format. He kindly replied that that would of course be up to the label (who haven't answered my queries), but that the music was mixed in an ambisonic format--which means that there are B format files "which in theory could be encoded to 5.1/7.1," but that converting to an object-based format like Atmos probably wouldn't be so simple without going back once more to the original multis.

That doesn't address the question of whether the audio track could be somehow extracted from the "game" that's available to download on the Steam platform. But it seems increasingly unlikely to me that anyone beyond the 3D gaming community will ever get to experience this mix.

Last edited:
Heck of a bump here, but I just finished listening to Vulnicura for the first time... and I decided that for my Bjork deep dive I do my best to find the most "immersive" version of it, and well... the VR version is currently the best "immersive" version of Vulnicura.

Getting it up and running was, in it's own special way, more of an experience than the experience itself, as I had not used my Oculus (better name than Meta, damnit!) Quest 1 in over a year, meaning not only did I have to charge it up, but also update it's software, log into Facebook... twice... port my Facebook account to a Meta Account, update all my apps, etc.

Once I did get that all up and running, I used Virtual Desktop to stream it from my PC on Steam to my headset, and set up an office chair in the middle of my space to spin around in (which was ABSOLUTELY the right call. While most VR experiences do have full 360 environments, most really only focus on the 180 degree wedge in front of you... except this. It seems like Bjork wanted to show off by really making you spin around as much as possible).

Vulnicura VR has you navigate from song to song by exploring a virtual, what I have to assume is Icelandic, landscape. Strewn about are aspects that would be impossible in real life, such as a large rocky mass with what looks like a human draped over it (remember that), rocks that curl up like claws, and more.

Each song has two "modes", a music video/performance of a sort, and a "score" mode, a sort of abstract shape representation of the sheet music, very much inspired by Artikulation.

The bulk of the experience is the existing music videos. Stonemilker is presented in it's existing 360 Music Video, Lionsong is it's 2D music video... but obscured behind a circular-ish cut out with tree roots ornamenting the top and bottom, Black Lake is an interesting two screen set up, with two screens positioned about 180 degrees opposite each other, causing you to have to turn around and around to catch the next bit of it (though the second screen is always showing something). Mouth Mantra is a particularly horrifying 360 adaptation of it's existing flat music video, primarily taking place inside Bjork's mouth.

Not every song has it's own experience however, History of Touches and Atom Dance are only available in the score mode. Presumably because the back to back one-two punch of Family and Notget are where most of the budget seems to have gone: fully 3D, motion captured Bjork dancing around your space, dissolving, glowing, growing (at one point about as big as a building), shrinking and multiplying. Family culminates in that large rocky mass with what looks like a human draped over it being (surprise!) Bjork in her final pose, while Notget has her slowly be ripped apart by a black mass of tentacles in the sky. If the rest of the experience was like Family and Notget it would be highly recommended, IMO, but those are the only two tracks that really showcase the tech.

The binaural audio did sound quite good. Elements are definitely discrete, though I cannot comment on how well it converts the album since, well, this was my first listen. Poking around in the files after experiencing it, I didn't find any obvious audio files (though I did find all the video files for the music videos interestingly enough), but I do see files from Wwise, which is what I would have guessed they used as the audio engine core. Wwise more or less is the audio toolkit for high end games (there are others like FMOD, but Wwise tends to market themselves more). It is a Unity project, which means if I remember the arcane way to un-compile a compiled build I could crack it open and possibly find workable audio files, but that's a larger project than I care to sign up for right now.

Is it worth the expense and hastle of VR? Definitely not. Something worth checking out if you have a VR ready PC and a VR headset? Yes.

Heck of a bump here, but I just finished listening to Vulnicura for the first time... and I decided that for my Bjork deep dive I do my best to find the most "immersive" version of it, and well... the VR version is currently the best "immersive" version of Vulnicura.

Getting it up and running was, in it's own special way, more of an experience than the experience itself, as I had not used my Oculus (better name than Meta, damnit!) Quest 1 in over a year, meaning not only did I have to charge it up, but also update it's software, log into Facebook... twice... port my Facebook account to a Meta Account, update all my apps, etc.

Once I did get that all up and running, I used Virtual Desktop to stream it from my PC on Steam to my headset, and set up an office chair in the middle of my space to spin around in (which was ABSOLUTELY the right call. While most VR experiences do have full 360 environments, most really only focus on the 180 degree wedge in front of you... except this. It seems like Bjork wanted to show off by really making you spin around as much as possible).

Vulnicura VR has you navigate from song to song by exploring a virtual, what I have to assume is Icelandic, landscape. Strewn about are aspects that would be impossible in real life, such as a large rocky mass with what looks like a human draped over it (remember that), rocks that curl up like claws, and more.

Each song has two "modes", a music video/performance of a sort, and a "score" mode, a sort of abstract shape representation of the sheet music, very much inspired by Artikulation.

The bulk of the experience is the existing music videos. Stonemilker is presented in it's existing 360 Music Video, Lionsong is it's 2D music video... but obscured behind a circular-ish cut out with tree roots ornamenting the top and bottom, Black Lake is an interesting two screen set up, with two screens positioned about 180 degrees opposite each other, causing you to have to turn around and around to catch the next bit of it (though the second screen is always showing something). Mouth Mantra is a particularly horrifying 360 adaptation of it's existing flat music video, primarily taking place inside Bjork's mouth.

Not every song has it's own experience however, History of Touches and Atom Dance are only available in the score mode. Presumably because the back to back one-two punch of Family and Notget are where most of the budget seems to have gone: fully 3D, motion captured Bjork dancing around your space, dissolving, glowing, growing (at one point about as big as a building), shrinking and multiplying. Family culminates in that large rocky mass with what looks like a human draped over it being (surprise!) Bjork in her final pose, while Notget has her slowly be ripped apart by a black mass of tentacles in the sky. If the rest of the experience was like Family and Notget it would be highly recommended, IMO, but those are the only two tracks that really showcase the tech.

The binaural audio did sound quite good. Elements are definitely discrete, though I cannot comment on how well it converts the album since, well, this was my first listen. Poking around in the files after experiencing it, I didn't find any obvious audio files (though I did find all the video files for the music videos interestingly enough), but I do see files from Wwise, which is what I would have guessed they used as the audio engine core. Wwise more or less is the audio toolkit for high end games (there are others like FMOD, but Wwise tends to market themselves more). It is a Unity project, which means if I remember the arcane way to un-compile a compiled build I could crack it open and possibly find workable audio files, but that's a larger project than I care to sign up for right now.

Is it worth the expense and hastle of VR? Definitely not. Something worth checking out if you have a VR ready PC and a VR headset? Yes.
Going through the files right now, I think its definitely possible to extract the surround mixes if anyone wants them, I'll probably do so for myself soon. I decompiled them and here wasn't much of interest in the Unity archives (unless you want a 3d model of Björk hahaha).

1681709492867.png

You were right about the WWise bnk files in the Streamingassets folder being the right lead though. Using a bnk extractor that can be found with a simple google search I was able to get .wem files out of them, which can be decoded by Foobar2000 with the vgmstream addon. Most of the files are mono stems that probably get assembled into a larger mix at runtime, but there are a few 4 channel files as well, and I found one BEAUTIFUL 1gb 8 channel file containing all the strings for Black Lake. Although, interestingly, only 3 songs are present in this format here, Black Lake, Family, and Notget. I believe the rest might just play stereo? Although I would love to be proven wrong on that. Either way I'll definitely have fun reassembling the mixes for the other songs.

Vulnicura is my favorite recent Bjork album. I respect her artistry just not always able to go along for the ride.

Going through the files right now, I think its definitely possible to extract the surround mixes if anyone wants them, I'll probably do so for myself soon. I decompiled them and here wasn't much of interest in the Unity archives (unless you want a 3d model of Björk hahaha).

View attachment 90652
You were right about the WWise bnk files in the Streamingassets folder being the right lead though. Using a bnk extractor that can be found with a simple google search I was able to get .wem files out of them, which can be decoded by Foobar2000 with the vgmstream addon. Most of the files are mono stems that probably get assembled into a larger mix at runtime, but there are a few 4 channel files as well, and I found one BEAUTIFUL 1gb 8 channel file containing all the strings for Black Lake. Although, interestingly, only 3 songs are present in this format here, Black Lake, Family, and Notget. I believe the rest might just play stereo? Although I would love to be proven wrong on that. Either way I'll definitely have fun reassembling the mixes for the other songs.
Wait I was wrong!!
On second glance, throwing the MKV files for Lionsong, Mouth Mantra, Quicksand, and Stonemilker in audacity shows that they all have opus 10 channel audio tracks!! No decompilation required! I guess the "stereo" in the file name dissuaded me from checking. Minus Atom Dance and History of touches, that's almost the full album! Playing the files by themselves in my 7.1.2 setup, it's definitely not in the right format for that, as a matter of fact I don't see any obvious LFE channel here, they all contain at least some high frequency content. Though I suppose that it makes sense for a VR game that there would be no Subwoofer. Can anybody here with the experience installed throw them in Audacity and see if they can figure out the right channel order for these? (if there is one)

1681761124863.png

Wait I was wrong!!
On second glance, throwing the MKV files for Lionsong, Mouth Mantra, Quicksand, and Stonemilker in audacity shows that they all have opus 10 channel audio tracks!! No decompilation required! I guess the "stereo" in the file name dissuaded me from checking. Minus Atom Dance and History of touches, that's almost the full album! Playing the files by themselves in my 7.1.2 setup, it's definitely not in the right format for that, as a matter of fact I don't see any obvious LFE channel here, they all contain at least some high frequency content. Though I suppose that it makes sense for a VR game that there would be no Subwoofer. Can anybody here with the experience installed throw them in Audacity and see if they can figure out the right channel order for these? (if there is one)

View attachment 90666
I’m no expert on Multichannel mixing, but for Stonemilker in particular, Bjork’s voice followed her in the 360 video. I wonder if it crosses over to other channels to achieve that goal

I’m no expert on Multichannel mixing, but for Stonemilker in particular, Bjork’s voice followed her in the 360 video. I wonder if it crosses over to other channels to achieve that goal
It certainly does!

1681771280757.png

Here you can see it mostly isolated in 7 and 8, shifting between the two as she moves. It's also a constant in channel 4 during this part. In other parts of the song though, she visits almost all of the channels, except for 9 and 10, which seem to be reserved for atmospheric effects in that song (Although in other songs those channels are loaded with percussion and strings!). Such an interesting mix!

Back