Blade Runner 25th anniversary release. Which format to buy?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I do not have Blade Runner on CED. I never went the select-a-vision route or whatever it was called. I didn't even know it was released on CED.

LOOK! It was!!:

BLADE RUNNER-CED.jpg

Wow I might have to seek it out just to complete my selecttion.

I do not have Blade Runner on CED. I never went the select-a-vision route or whatever it was called. I didn't even know it was released on CED.

LOOK! It was!!:

View attachment 42081

Perhaps THE worst of all Optical Disc formats ..... or was it analogue? They used to gunk up the discs so the cartridge could glide over the grooves and that gunk used to stick to the stylus and wreak havoc! Shame on YOU, RCA....What were you thinking?

Perhaps THE worst of all Optical Disc formats ..... or was it analogue? They used to gunk up the discs so the cartridge could glide over the grooves and that gunk used to stick to the stylus and wreak havoc! Shame on YOU, RCA....What were you thinking?

It was analog but not optical you know that... resolution equivalent to VHS but with the fun of vinyl. Did it need a Shibata stylus?;)
What is the worst analog optical video format?: was it CD Video?

LOOK! It was!!:

You might want to grab a copy on VHD as well...

blade_vhd.jpg

I think there were also Hi-Vision/MUSE LaserDisc and VCD releases of it.

For whatever reason, I didn't connect with that movie when I saw it in a real theater. Some time later, a friend threw on the CED and even with the skipping and pan 'n' scan I wound up enjoying it much more. Some things just need a second look, I guess.

For whatever reason, I didn't connect with that movie when I saw it in a real theater. Some time later, a friend threw on the CED and even with the skipping and pan 'n' scan I wound up enjoying it much more. Some things just need a second look, I guess.

It was one of those rare films way ahead of its time. Didn't connect with it immediately, either but upon subsequent viewings I finally realized it for the masterpieces it was/is! I still can't connect with the 'sequel' Blade Runner 2049!

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Blade-Runner-2049-3D-Blu-ray/190352/

It was one of those rare films way ahead of its time. Didn't connect with it immediately, either but upon subsequent viewings I finally realized it for the masterpieces it was/is! I still can't connect with the 'sequel' Blade Runner 2049!

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Blade-Runner-2049-3D-Blu-ray/190352/
Maybe the same thing applies with the newer version, but the first one is still special to me.
And what about Deckard's narration; who likes it, and who doesn't- I'm still undecided?

Maybe the same thing applies with the newer version, but the first one is still special to me.
And what about Deckard's narration; who likes it, and who doesn't- I'm still undecided?

I like Decker's narration. Adds [shall we say] GRAVITAS. I only watched the sequel in 3D and to say the least, it was VERY disappointing. BAD use of 3D. Maybe I deducted a point [or two] for that! But you're right.....time will tell!

I like Decker's narration. Adds [shall we say] GRAVITAS. I only watched the sequel in 3D and to say the least, it was VERY disappointing. BAD use of 3D. Maybe I deducted a point [or two] for that! But you're right.....time will tell!
I saw "Blade Runner" in a movie theatre but not during its initial run. Immediately loved it. I prefer the narration, partly because that's the way I first experienced the movie and partly because there were some memorable lines(for me) in the narration.

Blade Runner 2049 did nothing for me though, I have to admit, I did find the Ana De Armas character charming and the Sylvia Hoeks character well played as a villain you could really hate..

Sorry guys, but for me the original cut is the one that really CUTS it!!!
That Criterion LD rocks!!!!!!! (bought at Tower Video, Boston 1988)

Wait.. is that version available anywhere .. ehem.. MODERN?????

Sorry guys, but for me the original cut is the one that really CUTS it!!!
That Criterion LD rocks!!!!!!! (bought at Tower Video, Boston 1988)

Wait.. is that version available anywhere .. ehem.. MODERN?????

LASERDISC, KAP? Oy Vey.....an LD has about 480 lines of resolution .......or less! I have hundreds of them and they take up valuable space on my storage shelves collecting dust.

See the source image

OY VEY, KAP! LaserDisc

Last edited:
LASERDISC, KAP? Oy Vey.....an LD has about 480 lines of resolution .......or less! I have hundreds of them and they take up valuable space on my storage shelves collecting dust.
Oh.. I have about 20 boxes or more of stuff in Madrid, LPs, CDs, DVDs and of course LDs!!!! (let's not even mention my 2, count them TWO Technics SL-QL1 mint Linear Tracking TTs) I might have to rescue them eventually!!!

The Atmos mix is reference. The PQ is the best it's been.

Combined, it will not get any better soon.

It's like watching the movie for the first time, and we've probably all seen it a hundred times.

It's #1 on my 4k list so far.

It's scary to think about this was produced in 1982. So far ahead of it's time technically it's not even funny. Very few modern day movies can even hold a candle to it.

The Atmos mix is reference. The PQ is the best it's been.

Combined, it will not get any better soon.

It's like watching the movie for the first time, and we've probably all seen it a hundred times.

It's #1 on my 4k list so far.

It's scary to think about this was produced in 1982. So far ahead of it's time technically it's not even funny. Very few modern day movies can even hold a candle to it.

this

the 4k atmos is the best of any movie

the 4k PQ stunning

If you want to complete your blade runner format collection, you will have to locate the SVHS version!

Back