Blank tapes for Akai CR-80-D-SS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scifi

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Is it possible to use blank stereo 8-track tapes with an Akai CR-80-D-SS for recording quadraphonic tapes? There's supposed to be a notch on quad 8-track tapes to indicate its quad to the tape deck. There's a 2/4 channel selection button on the CR-80-D-SS and I'm wondering if that allows the use of blank stereo tapes for quad recording.

I would think that the stereo carts you record in quad on your Akai would play back in quad nicely on your Akai, but I also think you might have problems trying to use these stereo carts on other playback units, as some of those units depend solely on the quad notch to switch from stereo to quad playback.

MTGC (Michael)

Thanks. Does anyone have a schematic? How do you adjust the tape head to align it in case you get cross talk between channels?

I had a look inside my CR-80-D-SS. There's four adjustment screws on the tape head and found if I adjust the red colored one while playing a tape it can be adjusted for minimum crosstalk.

I found out if you put a blank tape into the CR-80-D-SS and press the 2/4 button it will switch to 4 channel, but won't switch back to 2 channel when the switch is pressed again. Taking the tape out and putting it back in will switch it back to 2 channel.

Just to make it easy for you i have 6 TDK blank 90 minutes quad carts (never been used) if you want them (make me an offer)

ken

Good luck with that. I wouldn't record a tape on the cr-80d-ss for a deaf man. I have 2 of them that play fine, but they are pitiful, pitiful recorders. It straight up sounds like shit. Maybe yours is different? I hope for your sake it is, but I'm looking for the technics RS-858DUS, when I get 2 of them, this pos akai decks are g.o.n.e. gone.

I own 3 of the Akai CR-80-D-SS units and have had no problems with recording on them. I do use all three for recording in three of my 4 quad setups and have had no problems with any of them and find the quality of recording to be fine.

I do not understand why your Akai units don't record properly, as they are very fine units, the best that Akai ever made, and IMHO, the best of all the quad 8 track recorders.

I am sure that other forum members will jump in with their opinions and inputs, but this is my two cents worth.

MTGC (Michael)

p.s. Would you be interested in selling your Akai CR-80 units? If so, PM me please.

Yea, I'll let you know when I get my technics units. They play beautifully, but I have no idea why the recordings are so terrible. Any ideas as to why this could be?

Bad tapes? Not correctly blanking them? I've tried recording on both my Techincs 858 and my Akai 80DSS and I'd say hands down the Akai was the victor. The Achilles heel of the Technics is it's small drive motor. Mine tended to not be able to hold a steady speed. It recorded fine, but the speed problems drove me nuts. The Akai has a motor from a washing machine and will play through the toughest tapes. I find the lack of a Pause feature to be problematic when recording, but with it's erase head, recordings come out with good speed and good fidelity. I dubbed my Alan Parson's DSOTM mix onto a purple-shell Capitol US Q8 using my Akai. Sounds like a factory made tape!

I picked the cr80dss originally because I heard about how great it was. I have been dissapointed twice now, and these are way too expensive to be messing with or repeatedly buying them until I get one that works 100%.

All the tapes I used were new.

I recently got some BASF regular 8 track and Maxell UD 8T-90 Quad/Stereo 8 Track tapes and had to replace the foam backing in the ones I opened. I tried recording from the radio on a BASF and a Maxell tape in stereo and when played back the BASF tape had a lot of wow and flutter for a couple minutes but played back OK after that. The Maxell played back with no problems. Both sounded pretty good. I used pieces of foam insulation cut using a razor blade to replace the original foam backing and left out the transparent plastic strip. I might have to work on this technique a little bit.

It might be possible to replace some of the original electronics with better quality electronics. See http://www.audioxpress.com/bksprods/products/bkaa25.htm

On the back of these Ampex covers they recommend doing a "run-in" before recording (see picture).

Attachments

• Ampex-cover800.jpg
    Ampex-cover800.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 296
I second the run-in. I always play a tape thru an entire program before recording first. Also gives me a chance to repair the splice if needed and always make sure the pressure pad is in good shape or you'll get poor head to tape contact.

A_L

I second Ventures, you can drill out a standard 8 track tape to create a notch that will trick 8 track players, as i had to transfer a quad tape recording when I damaged a quad case beyond repair- the only way to transfer the tape portion was to use a spare stereo tape

if you do use a stereo tape- how do you change it to 2 programs(4-channel) if its designed for 4 programs (2-channel) sound? hopefully that made sense

Back