Blu-Ray Disc-Audio continues with The Pixies

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barbazul

Hello everyone, I have great news. I know that Neils Young has just begun this new BD-Audio era, well here the history continues. Even when I'm not a fan of this band, I'm a fan of multichannel music and I hope 4AD will soon do the same for the Cocteau Twins discography. For now we can have this outstanding deluxe and limited editions of Pixies music history: Minotaur. All of their albums in "Blu-ray audio mastered for 5.1 surround sound and 2 channel stereo at 24/192; DVD mastered for 5.1 surround sound and 2 channel stereo at 24/96."!!!! :eek: Take a look to this link to see what I'm talking about: www.ainr.com (Artist in Residence site).

It's not clear if the DVD is a DVD-A, i suppose so.

For all the fans out there this is really a must have... I'll be just waiting for the Cocteau Twins or This Mortal Coil turn.

Comments?

Hello everyone, I have great news. I know that Neils Young has just begun this new BD-Audio era, well here the history continues. Even when I'm not a fan of this band, I'm a fan of multichannel music and I hope 4AD will soon do the same for the Cocteau Twins discography. For now we can have this outstanding deluxe and limited editions of Pixies music history: Minotaur. All of their albums in "Blu-ray audio mastered for 5.1 surround sound and 2 channel stereo at 24/192; DVD mastered for 5.1 surround sound and 2 channel stereo at 24/96."!!!! :eek: Take a look to this link to see what I'm talking about: www.ainr.com (Artist in Residence site).

It's not clear if the DVD is a DVD-A, i suppose so.

For all the fans out there this is really a must have... I'll be just waiting for the Cocteau Twins or This Mortal Coil turn.

Comments?

Thanks for posting this. I wasn't aew of this being done but after checking some different links it looks like they are in 5.1 but unclear if its only on BR for the 5.1 unless I'm missing something. I like the Pixies stuff and am interested in this set but seems pricey for just 5 albums. I'm going to keep my eyes open on this one. Is this exclusive to A&R or would these be sold through other sites as well?

I'm with you would love to see Cocteau Twins done in surround.

Hi Peterzach, here I quote what's on the AinS store:

"The definitive Pixies collector's piece. Minotaur is curated by legendary graphic designer, Vaughan Oliver, who in connection with photographer Simon Larbalestier, created the album artwork for all five Pixies' studio albums. Oliver and Larbalestier have teamed up once again on Minotaur, to create their largest single body of Pixies work to date.

Includes all five Pixies' studio albums (Come on Pilgrim, Surfer Rosa, Doolittle, Bossanova, and Trompe le Monde) in the following formats: 24k gold plated CD's; five 12" - 180 gram virgin vinyl LP's cut from the original analog tapes; Blu-ray audio mastered for 5.1 surround sound and 2 channel stereo at 24/192; DVD mastered for 5.1 surround sound and 2 channel stereo at 24/96. Also included is the previously unreleased Pixies 1991 live performance from Brixton, on both Blu-ray and DVD, mastered for 5.1 surround sound at 24/192 and 24/96, respectively. All discs are housed in a custom designed folio.

In addition to reinterpreting all of the original album covers, Oliver's and Larbalestier's extensive work is featured in a 96-page fine art book, measuring 22" x 14" inches, and an additional 54-page book, measuring 7.75" x 8.25". Also included is a 12" x 19.5" giclee print of the duo's work, and two double-sided fold-out posters measuring 48" x 36."

Each copy of the Limited Edition is individually numbered, and hand-signed by every member of the Pixies and Vaughan Oliver. Additionally, at random, 25 of the 3000 Limited Edition sets will include test pressings of the vinyl albums. Housed in an oversized clamshell case and weighing over 25 pounds, Minotaur ships via Federal Express or UPS worldwide.

*This is a pre-order and will ship no later than October 15, 2009. Artwork subject to change. Limit 2 per customer."

Here's the link: https://secure.infomercial.tv/www_v2/templates/2142/store2.html

;)

Barbazul, thanks for posting that information, I did read that but want I meant in light of other releases we have gotten is the information is not very exact. It refers to surround on BR and DVD but what does it mean exactly?
Will there be BR and Dvd's of each album? Will there just br BR where the 5.1 is or will there be Dvd's with Dts only(I sure hope if would include Dvd Audio).
I would not preoorder at that cost unless I know for sure what I am getting as I would only be interested in surround as I already have all the titles in regular stereo and would love to see it in Dvd Audio.

I don't have a BR player yet but if answer comes back that the surrounds are on BR only then that might be enough to get me off the fence to purchase a BR player. The Neil Young BR Archive are stereo only so that didn't convice me to go BR.

The best news to me would be that there are Dvd Audio's of the Pixies but some how not holding my breath on that one as look at latest track record and other than Steve Wilson and King Crimson(which we haven't seen yet but is coming) stuff there aren't many things coming out on Dvd Audio any more.

peter

I just saw the posts about this upcoming release yesterday night and WOW! I am truly blown away by the artistry that was put into this box set (either edition). I have been a fan of the Pixies since I saw them open for Love & Rockets many years ago and though I'm not sure their music will be much enhanced by a surround sound treatment, I'm still incredibly excited about this. This may really force me to finally get into Blu-ray. I think this project will be very interesting to listen to simply for the higher resolution.

GabeL

So are these only available in really expensive box set form? I love the idea of the rereleases just no way am I ever going to be able to justify the purchase. But some day I hope to hear these since I love these songs/albums. Never really liked the mastering on the CDs - a little too bright but not terrible.

I wonder what they are going to do for the surround sound. There sound always seemed decidedly minimalist to my ears. But there stuff does decode fairly well since they liked to use stereo ambient mics instead of synthetic reverbs.

Could be interesting, but I'm not interested in buying a boxed set of sorts, if that's what this is? (Must confess that I didn't read the link.) Still... I do hope the surround mixes are good ones for the few folks who will eventually get to hear them.

Anyone else have this on order? Release date is coming up. It's a double treat this October between the Pixies and the KC releases!

I got a partial answer from AIR today about the surrounds for this set as I asked whether they were done to Dvd Audio and what was done with Blu Ray. Here's answer:

For the DVD, they're DVD-Video, DTS 96/24.

For Blu-ray, DTS-HD Master Audio.

I am relatively new to Blu Ray stuff, would a DTS-HD Master Audio sound just as good as a Dvd Audio?

I copied this from wikipedia:
"One goal of the DTS-HD Master Audio format was to allow a bit-to-bit representation of the original studio master. To accomplish this, DTS-HD MA supports variable bit rates up to 24.5 Mbit/s on a Blu-ray Disc. The format supports a maximum of 192 kHz sampling frequency and 24-bit depth samples in 2 channels stereo mode, and 96 kHz/24bit resolution in multichannel mode with up to 8 channels."

It is meant to be able to compress the raw hi-rez bit stream to reduce the space it takes up on a disc, but then can be decoded by the player or receiver back to the original bit for bit representation of the studio master. So it is suppose to sound exactly the same as an uncompressed bit stream. It also contains the standard DTS within it, so if your equipment is not capable of playing the hi-rez audio it will treat it is though it were regular DTS. So the good thing about music on blu-ray is that you don't need a special player to get dvd-audio quality sound and you can have HD video playing at the same time if you chose to do so.

Thanks, I'm on a tight budget these days, so I want to make sure the surround mix is actually worth repurchasing these albums.

Cheers,
GabeL

I have ordered it. Release date at the moment is the 22nd of October. I'll put some information here once I have it.

Back