BLU-RAY/SACD PLAYERS general query

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear you , uber.

It may be a case of "just a bad player " which is why I still am considering Sony .

The SONY X~800 is a good player with a few caveats. It's finicky compared to the OPPO but when it works.....it's pretty flawless....the 3D IS SPECTACULAR! But I've been experiencing a few HDMI 'handshake' issues with my LG OLED 3D TV . What is doesn't have is Oppo's pretty comprehensive set~up menu with speaker distance parameters, etc. and the build quality isn't on par with the OPPOs.

But for the current $250 asking price for a UHD 4K Universal player......that's priceless!

I'm awaiting Kal Rubinson's review of the OPPO UHD 205 in the next issue of Stereophile but I've kind of made up my mind that I need this player in my MAIN system as one thing I've noted about OPPO....all their newer models are better than the previous ones.....even if it's only incremental.

BTW, AFAIK even the Oppos are made in China. So what else is new?

Oh don't get me wrong ? I'd love an Oppo and there is a very reliable distributor here , but on a budget so.........

Just gotta stick with the lower priced players. (Under $500 or less much preferred ). :D

Love my Pioneer combo , but it's for DVDA/SACD .....and she's fantabuluos , never refuses to play any SACD or DVDA .As that I'll keep my Yamaha RCV 'R for analogue purity and eventually buy an updated one for blu-ray Hi-Rez .

So really just need a blu-ray/sacd player . I was thinking along the lines of LG , or.....others. Want to get a new player first , and foremost .

Oppo is very reliable, and a used deck is a good buy. Those who buy Oppo are usually very good at keeping equipment clean without any abuse. I see on e bay some older models for very decent price's. And taking Oppo CS in mind, it's a pretty good deal going used.
I had Sony sacd deck fail on me also. It just refused to read sacd anymore. Still works but won't read them. POS. When I found out just how good the back up is at Oppo, having dealt with other manufacture's one soon becomes aware of what to invest in. and it is an investment.

Oppo is very reliable, and a used deck is a good buy. Those who buy Oppo are usually very good at keeping equipment clean without any abuse. I see on e bay some older models for very decent price's. And taking Oppo CS in mind, it's a pretty good deal going used.
I had Sony sacd deck fail on me also. It just refused to read sacd anymore. Still works but won't read them. POS. When I found out just how good the back up is at Oppo, having dealt with other manufacture's one soon becomes aware of what to invest in. and it is an investment.

Yes ok but the SACD on the Sony BDP-S 370 was never an issue. Just the Blu-ray playback itself .

As an equipment junkie (some would say hoarder), I would suggest scanning eBay for deals. Do you really need one player that does everything? My original player for DVD-Audio and SACD was the Pioneer Elite DV-45A. Years latter I found another on eBay for about $50.00 (I put it in the bedroom), then another as a spare. I also have an Oppo DV-790HD, Which is region free and also purchased cheaply. Now for Blu-ray (and HD DVD) I have the LG Super Blu, I forget what I paid but it was probably only about $100. Most of my music is ripped to my hard drive so that I don't even need to use the players a whole lot.

As an equipment junkie (some would say hoarder), I would suggest scanning eBay for deals. Do you really need one player that does everything? My original player for DVD-Audio and SACD was the Pioneer Elite DV-45A. Years latter I found another on eBay for about $50.00 (I put it in the bedroom), then another as a spare. I also have an Oppo DV-790HD, Which is region free and also purchased cheaply. Now for Blu-ray (and HD DVD) I have the LG Super Blu, I forget what I paid but it was probably only about $100. Most of my music is ripped to my hard drive so that I don't even need to use the players a whole lot.

Oh ya, Ken

I'm an equipment junkie as well. Pioneer 563a ,588a (both combo players-SACD/DVDA).

NO, I could of course get by without a BD Combo player as you can see , but , it's time for a better player for BD and if it sports SACD (and DVDA) so much the better.

My original query was kinda sluething to find out if well....are there BD players that play SACD that don't indicate that emblem on their product box , as I've noticed Sony does but they are pushing that format as well , so.....

But now having re-stated that , I think I have been provided with a lot of great info on a variety of players by all who have contributed. :D(y)

So thanks all. :D

Yamaha BD-S681 and AVENTAGE BD-A1060 Blu-ray Player for SACD & HDCD

http://www.audioholics.com/blu-ray-and-dvd-player-reviews/bd-s681-and-adventage-bd-a1060
To improve CD music playback, a CD Mode has been added on both models that disables HDMI video output and reduce disc revolution by 30 percent to reduce unwanted disc vibrations and improve data reading sensitivity which Yamaha claims leads to better audio fidelity.

Own Yamaha BD-S681 & I use a Sony X800 for DVD-A

The Yamaha is a very nice universal player.

With the Oppo BDP-103 going for $300 used in perfect condition, I don't know why anyone would choose anything else (except a used 105, or new 203 or 205 if you want to spend more). Even a used Oppo is better than a new player from any other brand. Plus, buying used means it will barely depreciate in your ownership and you can turn around and sell it for what you paid for it, if you decide you don't like it. And anyone who has owned one will attest to their absolutely unparalleled customer support. Case in point - about 6 months ago my old BDP-83 started having disc drawer issues. Oppo installed a brand new drawer mechanism for free...including shipping both ways. Would Sony or Pioneer or Denon do that for a unit that was long out of warranty? No way.

Get yourself an Oppo. A used one.

Back