Quad LP/Tape Poll Blue Oyster Cult: Tyranny And Mutation [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Tyranny And Mutation"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Bad Sound, Bad Mix, Bad Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Columbia CQ 32017, from 1973.

Side 1: The Black

1. The Red & The Black
2. O.D.'d On Life Itself
3. Hot Rails To Hell
4. 7 Screaming Diz-Busters

Side 2: The Red

1. Baby Ice Dog
2. Wings Wetted Down
3. Teen Archer
4. Mistress Of The Salmon Salt(Quicklime Girl)

ED :)

I love BOQ, and I love this album. Sound quality and mix is nothing much to speak of. Maybe I should have gave it an "8" but I was feeling critical.

All I have for reference (aside from the obvious stereo mix) is the quad Lp. I'd like to hear a nice Q8 transfer of this one to find out if there's more action and fidelity than what I hear on the SQ.

ED :)

Wow, no love for this one?

I agree Secret Treaties ultimately has more standout tracks, but this is no slouch content-wise and the quad mix is just as good, if not better in places. I much prefer side 1 to side 2, which is funny because I'd say the opposite about Secret Treaties.

The second track, "OD'd On Life Itself", is THE standout. Just an absolutely breathtaking quad cut. The riff that drives the song starts off with a bang in the left rear channel and a tornado of guitars and vocals builds around it to incredible effect. The backing vocals are much more exposed compared to the stereo mix. If you love uber-discrete surround, you've gotta hear this track.

A 9 from me. Too bad AF couldn't get to this one as well. That one cut on The Collection is a fun tease of what an SACD reissue could be like.

"OD'd On Life Itself" (SQ LP Decoded By Tate II):
Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 3.39.35 PM.png

"OD'd On Life Itself" (Discrete Q8):
Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 3.43.13 PM.png

Last edited:
Fast like punk, song titles like "7 Screaming Diz-Busters," backing vocals coming nicely out of the rears. I'm satisfied. 8/10
1st post @Kenneth Burns ?
I like the Q8 alot. I usually listen to it twice in a row.
The Mobile Fidelity gold CD version was always one of my go to CD's.
This Quad was a dream come true

Y'all seem to like this, just as I do. 8 Discrete mix and rockin'. IMHO, Secret Treaties is their masterpiece!
Not bad at all. My favorite album is still Agents of Fortune. I know, I know, the SACD mix might have been better, but I've had the original LP for eons and I love it.
Besides, many many years ago when in an old two story house turned into apartments, my neighbors would get noisy late at night, I would throw AOF on the old Thorenz TT and crank up the 4 Infinity 1001's and give them a good blast. lol.

Back