Bob Dylan Live - Bootleg Series Vol 6 - Audio Fidelity 5.0 Multichannel SACD (March 2016)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marshall Blonstein from AF answered my email regarding the front jewel case insert for the Dylan sacds. he said that's what they were allowed to do. I still think its odd not to have the front jewel case insert the same as the smail album cover on the slipcase.

I did however tell Marshall to keep up the great work.

I can understand the notion that some folks simply don't like Bob Dylan.

I remember 1964, when this recording was made. My parents, who were music fans (my mom was an accomplished musician), had the same feelings about his music as kap'n crunch, above:

"I'm happy for you Dylan fans (I can't stand him), though...."

Dylan is an acquired taste, then and now. But there are plenty of us who think these recordings are an insight into the young artist who has, over the decades, transformed the musical landscape. Like Frank, Elvis, Miles, and Aretha. To have written and performed these songs (just look at the set list!) at the age of 23 is a huge accomplishment. And these songs and performances are a harbinger of what was yet to come.

I agree that some of his releases of late -- think the Christmas album and the Sinatra nod -- don't truly fit in his canon. Unless you think disruption is an art form. Meeting fan expectations was never really what he was about.

Having followed his work through five decades, the classic songs on this release made me hear, once again, the artist he was and would become.

What more could I/we ask from a 50 year old recorded document?

More please.

Ok Everybody..........got my discs 2 days ago............

Seems nobody is jumping the gun on reviewing, but Snood will.

If you are looking for discrete surround...........this is not the disc, BUT....................hear me out

This by no means is going to be a go to demo disc..........this was 1964 with no band just Dylan, harmonica and guitar.............and about 5 tunes with Joan Baez.

This is a very and I mean very Front Center speaker experience.

The back channels are just reverb and applause after songs.........the front left and right are pretty much the same except for maybe a lil and Snood means just a lil more guitar (if at all) plus the applause - BUT..........

Somehow.........this seems to be almost a front and center experience. My set up is not the best but was still like thinking wow this was 52 years ago and kind of sounds like he is right there in front of you. Not around you but straight in front. Snood could imagine with some of yalls setups and the lights and tv off, this might be a flash back of being there.

Definitely not the best for a surround release, but it does give you the atmosphere of being there right up in front waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 1964

Hope this helps............Dylan fans will love this. Snood has seen Dylan in concert (Infidels Tour) and have a lot of his stuff...........would not consider myself a big fan, but a very casual one. Snood did enjoy the Frontcentric concert feel.

Non Dylan fans, but surround fans, will most likely not dig this......

Still for the place and time........and the recording process of the time, the recording seems to put you right there (but frontcentric)...........hope this helps :rolleyes:

What's with the third person thing?

There was a character in Seinfeld who did that.

Also it's the way soccer superstar Zlatan Ibrahimovic talks about himself.

What's with the third person thing?

There was a character in Seinfeld who did that.

Also it's the way soccer superstar Zlatan Ibrahimovic talks about himself.

Snood always wondered what with people not speak correct with the "I" this & "I" that?? Takes Snood long time to figure out what people talking about when they use wrong wordage. :rolleyes: :banana:

Snood always wondered what with people not speak correct with the "I" this & "I" that?? Takes Snood long time to figure out what people talking about when they use wrong wordage. :rolleyes: :banana:

Snood, "I" Like my Close Encounter explanation BETTER!

But at least you're NOT a me, me, ME person.

The Elusive Disc 25% Off sale on Audio Fidelity SACDs, including several Audio Fidelity Surround SACDs continues.
13 of the 29 Surround SACDs released by Audio Fidelity are still available at a discount:
  • Billy Joel - Streetlife Serenade
  • Blood, Sweat & Tears - Blood, Sweat & Tears
  • Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties
  • Bob Dylan - Live 1964: Concert At Philharmonic Hall (2 SACD Set)
  • Earth, Wind & Fire - Head To the Sky (Out of Print, only a few left)
  • Earth, Wind & Fire - Open Our Eyes
  • Labelle - Nightbirds
  • Laura Nyro - Eli And The Thirteenth Confession
  • Loggins and Messina - Full Sail
  • Mannheim Steamroller - Fresh Aire 8
  • Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper & Stephen Stills - Super Session
  • New York Voices - Let It Snow
  • Sly & The Family Stone - Greatest Hits

http://www.elusivedisc.com/Save-On-Audio-Fidelity/products/858/&utm_source=email&utm_medium=special

The only one I don't own, is the Bob Dylan title. Not sure why I didn't buy that one.... Hmmmm Maybe it's time to pull the trigger.

The only one I don't own, is the Bob Dylan title. Not sure why I didn't buy that one.... Hmmmm Maybe it's time to pull the trigger.

Considering the fact that this Dylan 5.1 SACD was withheld/shelved by Sony in 2004 never to see the light of day , it would be very wise to aquire now before it disappears altogether.

If anything we owe it to A.F. who rescued this abandoned surround disc for us fans. I know I'm very grateful for their efforts.

(And the same goes for the LAURA NYRO QUAD , and the previously withheld B, K, S,-SUPERSESSION in 5.1)

I wondered about that Bob Dylan SACD when Marshall mentioned they were thinking about it. I wish I knew the status of their surround program was on shaky ground or I might have suggested that he not persue that title. It's not that it's not a great concert and an important piece of history, esp to Dylan fans.

It's just that live albums are usually not what you want to use to highlight a surround program. For every "Eagles Live in Melbourne" there are probably 25 shitty quad live titles with the applause in the rears.

And Sony probably tacked on some serious extra licensing fees because this was a double disc set, and that resulted in a high list price, which probably hurt sales and one may wonder how did that extra expense to create this disc affect the program, dumping a better title (IMHO), BS&T's Greatest Hits.

We'll never know. :(

I wondered about that Bob Dylan SACD when Marshall mentioned they were thinking about it. I wish I knew the status of their surround program was on shaky ground or I might have suggested that he not persue that title. It's not that it's not a great concert and an important piece of history, esp to Dylan fans.

It's just that live albums are usually not what you want to use to highlight a surround program. For every "Eagles Live in Melbourne" there are probably 25 shitty quad live titles with the applause in the rears.

And Sony probably tacked on some serious extra licensing fees because this was a double disc set, and that resulted in a high list price, which probably hurt sales and one may wonder how did that extra expense to create this disc affect the program, dumping a better title (IMHO), BS&T's Greatest Hits.

We'll never know. :(

It likely did ok because it is Dylan. No gangbusters, but ok. It's Mannheim Steamroller - Fresh Aire 8, and New York Voices - Let It Snow that must have been brutal sale wise. But even these two can sell out if the run was small enough, and given a little more time.

AF's pressing runs are much smaller than I had though before I asked around. So the Dylan will sell out eventually.

Aw man, I really want that Dylan disc. I have listened to the concert and it's amazing. Alas, even with the discount, I just can't afford to spend right now. :-( Really hope I will have a chance to get it at a still-reasonable price some time in the future... I know, stupid gamble, but I can dream.^^

Back