Brad Miller's Soundbird Records

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I actually created this post in this thread, but figured many might miss it there so I decided to create a new thread just for Soundbird Records.

Brad Miller was a true quad pioneer, and it's pretty much understood that he had a lot to do with Warner choosing CD-4 over the two competing matrix system for their quadraphonic album program. He released some of his Mystic Moods Orchestra and Railroad and Sound Effects albums on Warner with many of them being released in all 3 label formats, CD-4 LP, Q8 and Q4.

At some point he split from WB and started his own label, Soundbird, and with that move his stuff on WB was sent to the cut-outs and all but 2 reappeared as Soundbird CD-4 LPs and Q8's.

I am not sure where Bainbridge Records fits into this picture, but in the '80s, Brad's stuff switched to Bainbridge as Soundbird folded.

In the mid-90's, Brad hooked up with DTS Entertainment and restarted Mobile Fidelity International to release DTS Encoded CDs, including some of the previously released quad stuff as indicated below.

The list below includes all of Brad's Quadraphonic releases with notations as to where they were avaiable, WB, Soundbird, and as a DTS Entertainment CD.

Please repond with any corrections or additional information. I know I am missing things that Quadtrade, Brian Moura, or others who were actually involved with Brad might know.

Soundbird CatNoTitleWB CatNoDTS CD
SB4X-002Lou Dorren CD-4 Quadradisc Test LP
SB4-4501Sound in Motion (Sound Effects)WB BS4-2658
SB4-4502Greenboard South (Railroad Sounds)WB BS4-2751
SB4-4503Last Train to Waterloo (Railroad Sounds)WB BS4-2757
SB4-4504A Royal Hudson (Railroad Sounds)
SB4-4505Steel Rails Under Thundering Skies (Railroad Sounds)DTS CD
SB4-4506American Freedom Train (Railroad Sounds)
SB4-4507Extra 4449 North (Railroad Sounds)
SB4-4551The Storm and the Sea (Sound Effects)WB BS4-2788DTS CD
SB4-4552The Forest and the Water (Sound Effects)
SB4-4553Hawaii - Sounds for Love (Sound Effects)
SB4-7507Mystic Moods - Touch (WB and DTS CD Title: Highway One)WB BS4-2648DTS CD
SB4-7508Mystic Moods - Love the One You're WithWB BS4-2577
SB4-7509Mystic Moods - ErogenousWB BS4-2786DTS CD
SB4-7510Mystic Moods - Being With You
NO SB RELEASEMystic Moods - Awakening (DTS CD: Cosmic Force)WB BS4-2690DTS CD
NO SB RELEASEMystic Moods - Clear Light (DTS CD: Bright Side of the Moon)WB BS4-2745DTS CD

Last edited:
I actually created this post in this thread, but figured many might miss it there so I decided to create a new thread just for Soundbird Records.

Brad Miller was a true quad pioneer, and it's pretty much understood that he had a lot to do with Warner choosing CD-4 over the two competing matrix system for their quadraphonic album program. He released some of his Mystic Moods Orchestra and Railroad and Sound Effects albums on Warner with many of them being released in all 3 label formats, CD-4 LP, Q8 and Q4.

At some point he split from WB and started his own label, Soundbird, and with that move his stuff on WB was sent to the cut-outs and all but 2 reappeared as Soundbird CD-4 LPs and Q8's.

I am not sure where Bainbridge Records fits into this picture, but in the '80s, Brad's stuff switched to Bainbridge as Soundbird folded.

In the mid-90's, Brad hooked up with DTS Entertainment and restarted Mobile Fidelity International to release DTS Encoded CDs, including some of the previously released quad stuff as indicated below.

The list below includes all of Brad's Quadraphonic releases with notations as to where they were avaiable, WB, Soundbird, and as a DTS Entertainment CD.

Please repond with any corrections or additional information. I know I am missing things that Quadtrade, Brian Moura, or others who were actually involved with Brad might know.

Soundbird CatNoTitleWB CatNoDTS CD
SB4X-002Lou Dorren CD-4 Quadradisc Test LP
SB4-4501Sound in Motion (Sound Effects)WB BS4-2658
SB4-4502Greenboard South (Railroad Sounds)WB BS4-2751
SB4-4503Last Train to Waterloo (Railroad Sounds)WB BS4-2757
SB4-4504A Royal Hudson (Railroad Sounds)
SB4-4505Steel Rails Under Thundering Skies (Railroad Sounds)DTS CD
SB4-4506American Freedom Train (Railroad Sounds)
SB4-4507Extra 4449 North (Railroad Sounds)
SB4-4551The Storm and the Sea (Sound Effects)WB BS4-2788DTS CD
SB4-4552The Forest and the Water (Sound Effects)
SB4-4553Hawaii - Sounds for Love (Sound Effects)
SB4-7507Mystic Moods - Touch (WB and DTS CD Title: Highway One)WB BS4-2648DTS CD
SB4-7508Mystic Moods - Love the One You're WithWB BS4-2577
SB4-7509Mystic Moods - ErogenousWB BS4-2786DTS CD
SB4-7510Mystic Moods - Being With You
NO SB RELEASEMystic Moods - Awakening (DTS CD: Cosmic Force)WB BS4-2690DTS CD
NO SB RELEASEMystic Moods - Clear Light (DTS CD: Bright Side of the Moon)WB BS4-2745DTS CD

Going through records & organizing today, I found a few Mystic Moods LP's & not one but two of the CD-4 set up test discs! Searching the QQ forum for info on this I ran across this helpful thread. I also checked out MA's discography for more good info. Thanks, Jon & all for your remarkable efforts!

Last edited:
Brad was huge in helping bring dts to prominence in the home especially with those dts CD's and the Millenium 2.4.6. Wish they still did stuff using dts.

Warner's initial announcement about choosing the QS matrix for their quad releases should have given that system a major shot in the arm. Miller's insistence on a discrete system, and Warner's lack of backbone, really got shot to hell when Miller still pulled his catalog to start his own label. I would imagine that ruffled a lot of feathers at Warner.

Bean Whistle Rag? The 45 rpm CD-4 "single"?? Here it is, these are scans of my own copy. Don't think you'll find any better ones on the net:

Side 1.jpg

Side 2.jpg

Back