Brian Wilson's new album

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClarkNovak

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
I just had to sing the praises of Brian Wilson's latest disc, "That Lucky Old Sun". It's really phenomenal!

You've got to respect a guy who spent 20 years in his sandbox, finally pulling himself out to create some of his finest work ever. And it really is. It sounds like a mix of Sunflower- and Love You-era Beach Boys - smart songs, great harmonies and a very autobiographical tone with a not-so-undercurrent that's a love song to L.A. Just beautiful... makes me wonder what the BBs could have really accomplished if Mike Love hadn't had to substitute for Brian's withdrawal.

Anyway, it's gorgeous stuff. I wish he'd done it in 5.1, like Imagination... it would be truly spectacular.

I just had to sing the praises of Brian Wilson's latest disc, "That Lucky Old Sun". It's really phenomenal!

... I wish he'd done it in 5.1, like Imagination... it would be truly spectacular.

That Lucky Old Sun was just released on DVD - with a 5.1 mix of Brian and his phenomenal band (the Wondermints) playing live in the studio - haven't heard it yet so I can't attest to the quality but I'm guessing that if you're a fan, then you'll want to check it out for yourself - would love to hear from anyone out there that has heard the DVD mix.

Too bad he didn't do a 5.1 mix for DTS like he did for Imagination. What's wrong with DTS these days?

DTS has lost (got rid of) their audio people and gutted that department. It is almost entirely a theatre business that manages to license into other niches like videogames and such.

But their ability to write press releases is still unsurpassed.

DTS has lost (got rid of) their audio people and gutted that department. It is almost entirely a theatre business that manages to license into other niches like videogames and such.

But their ability to write press releases is still unsurpassed.

kind of ironic, but how can a business based on a unique way of producing surround sound, still operate without any audio personnel..

kind of ironic, but how can a business based on a unique way of producing surround sound, still operate without any audio personnel..

LOL! That is a good one. But not without precedent... many radio stations these days are operating without any radio people :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tip about the DVD; I will have to track that down. My Fry's had the Smile DVD, but not this one.

fwiw, I have the "Lucky Old Sun" DVD performance. I can't really tell how good the audio is because my right ear has been giving me some problems lately and nothing really sounds very good to me. (Tempted to say it might be OK, yet isn't as good as the "Smile" DVD, but like I said, my ear is messed up.) What I can say definitively is that the video is 16:9 for widescreen TVs and looks decent enough. The 5.1 audio is just Dolby Digial, no DTS from what I've found.

The performance is just Brian and the band playing in the Capitol studio (I think) in a setup that resembles a concert stage. (No audience from the little bit I've seen so far.) Thus, clothing and everything else seems slightly more laid back than it was on "Smile" and even the "Pet Sounds Live" concert DVD.

I have the regular CD version, too, of course! I like it well enough.

Too bad he didn't do a 5.1 mix for DTS like he did for Imagination. What's wrong with DTS these days?

OK - So what is the Imagination disc like.... is it recommended?

Also I see there is a DVD version as well as the DTS CD - does anyone know if the DVD the same mix (and does it have DTS)??

Back