• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not request or offer for sale or trade copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Caravan - In The Land Of Grey And Pink (Steven Wilson 5.1 - Dolby DVD)

Rate the Audio-DVD of Caravan - IN THE LAND OF GREY AND PINK

• Total voters
Could there possibly have been a good reason for the DD release?
Maybe the tapes were digitized crappily, then degraded, so resolution above DD would just reveal defects?
Just trying to understand it.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
Could there possibly have been a good reason for the DD release?
Maybe the tapes were digitized crappily, then degraded, so resolution above DD would just reveal defects?
Just trying to understand it.
Nope. I can assure you that Steven Wilson's mixes were full-resolution (at least 48 kHz / 24 bit)
It was probably down to financial reasons that this released ended up as a DD only DVD-V disc, that and a lack of understanding of a what a hybrid DVD-A/V disc is and how it provides full quality and full compatibility for everyone.
So basically there was NO good reason for the decisions made on the part of Universal.

skherbeck

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Finally opened this one... what the hell was I waiting for!? The content is wonderful... I'm completely unfamiliar with the band or the "Canterbury Scene", but this reminds me of what an English version of The Doors might sound like (and it's GREAT!). The fidelity is excellent, the surround mix is discrete and immersive. I would love to get more surround from Caravan if it sounds like this... a winner from start to finish. 9.

Ninecats

400 Club - QQ All Star
Finally opened this one... what the hell was I waiting for!? The content is wonderful... I'm completely unfamiliar with the band or the "Canterbury Scene", but this reminds me of what an English version of The Doors might sound like (and it's GREAT!). The fidelity is excellent, the surround mix is discrete and immersive. I would love to get more surround from Caravan if it sounds like this... a winner from start to finish. 9.
Agree, would also like some more Caravan, even though they never got better than this imo. Davids organ is nothing short of fantastic.

Also Hatfield and the Norths two albums would be nice!

hwkn

800 Club - QQ All Star
The organ playing on this album is at times very Jon Lord like imho......at times this mix has me feeling like the band's in my room[without the extremely loud volume].

halbroome

If you like this one, get their first album, CARAVAN. Not in surround but the SHM-CD is excellent. Then spread out to the second album -- there's a DECCA remastered -- called IF I COULD DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN I WOULD DO IT ALL OVER YOU. Hate to say, but I'm not a big fan of the albums after GREY AND PINK.

I agree... Sounds excellent! I wouldn't have even noticed it was DD to be honest. It's a really great mix. I'm hooked from the very first notes on Golf Girl. The lyrics really crack me up too! :ROFLMAO:

Clint Eastwood

I agree... Sounds excellent! I wouldn't have even noticed it was DD to be honest. It's a really great mix. I'm hooked from the very first notes on Golf Girl. The lyrics really crack me up too! :ROFLMAO:
If you are objective and not a DD hater......there are a lot of titles in DD that are excellent(y)

ssully

So have I.

So, let's say it sounds 'much better' to you. Three questions arise:

1) are you sure the mastering the same for both?
2) are you sure the output level the same for both?
3) did you compare them blind?

if the answer to 1) or 2) is no, either of those factors can cause real audible difference that has nothing to do with Dolby vs PCM.

if the answer to 1) and 2) are yes, but 3) is no, then you haven't ruled out simple cognitive expectation effects -- iow, imagination.

Last edited: