Carole King 'Music' on CD, QS quad?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tryphon

The CD of the "Carole King Music" album that I have is properly encoded in RM and is identical (at least to my ears) to the Quad LP. It is one of the most effective Quad releases ever. The LP even showed the position of the various instruments around the listener. I just replayed the CD and the album it is still as wonderful as it was in the 70s!

Which CD is it? The original release or the remastered one? US?

I thought the same thing first I heard this cd too! Actually have the quad on vinyl, though it's far from mint. Sometime I'll try an a/b. Regardless, cd was nicely done.

I recently got a Carol King - Music CD, new. But it is not the QS mix.
The number is EK 34949. UPC 886972454429 - appears to be a US made disc.
No real info of remastering or any dates of release.

There must be a different/earlier version that is the QS mix.
Any distingushing info on that disc?

Vinylguy4

I just picked up the first issue of this CD. It's on Epic/Ode, EK 34949, but the SKU is 0-7464-34949-2. I'm pretty sure it's a first issue because it contains a full lyric booklet on onionskin paper, plus the note to "contact our quality control department in New Jersey" if there are any defects with the disc.

I'll try to decode it shortly and let you know what I find.

I got a copy off of the net recently just to test it out, as the cd I have is the later one. The one I got from the net decodes nicely, and much different than the later cd. Just my 2 cents.

Success! I ripped the CD with Audition and used Kempfand's QS decoding script, and it came out nicely. Instrument and vocal placement corresponds to the diagram on the Lp's innersleeve. It works! Thanks Tryphon for figuring this out!

After viewing this thread, I went ahead and ordered the mentioned CD; it is indeed the QS mix and decodes really nicely on the Involve Surround Master. I was quite pleased!

I ordered the SACD as I like the album and don't have it in any format. I don't know if the SACD is still QS, great if it is!

My Mo-Fi SACD of "Music" arrived. I've never owned this album and I really like it, I wonder why I never got it before. Anyway in just about legible text in the bottom right of the left hand side of the gatefold is "ALSO AVAILABLE IN QUADRAPHONIC ??Q 8???? which Iooks like SQ 88613, not 8Q-88013, but it is so hard to tell! I also played it via Dolby Pro II Music and sometimes it seems like discrete instruments in the rears, sometimes it doesn't, but if it is from a QS encoded Master Pro II Music isn't that good, better for SQ. Whatever, its a great album.

quick question (its related to the topic in hand) to any QQ-ers who have heard the Quad of this album discrete from Q8 or the Japanese CD-4, please;

is it a "vocals-all-round" style mix with vocals mixed in all 4 channels or with vocals only in the Front channels?

tia! (y)

quick question (its related to the topic in hand) to any QQ-ers who have heard the Quad of this album discrete from Q8 or the Japanese CD-4, please;

is it a "vocals-all-round" style mix with vocals mixed in all 4 channels or with vocals only in the Front channels?

tia! (y)

Wonder if Dutton Vocalion would ever consider releasing this title as a QUAD SACD?

It's ashame that SONY Japan and SONY Hong Kong concurrently re~released Tapestry on 5.1 SACD instead of releasing MUSIC.

Tapestry has THREE 5.1 releases on SACD...and one MoFi Stereo SACD!

Last edited:
BUMP!

to any QQ-ers who have heard the Quad of Carole King's "Music" album discrete from Q8 or the Japanese CD-4, please;

vocals all around but it is discrete musically

many thanks for the info, much appreciated.

based on your findings lennonfan and my own experience with the QS LP, which decodes through the Surround Master as a vocals all round presentation, yet the CD said to be the Quad wipes out the vocals from the rear channels when decoded via the exact same method,
i can only surmise that the CD is not the QS encoded Quad, unfortunately.

based on your findings lennonfan and my own experience with the QS LP, which decodes through the Surround Master as a vocals all round presentation, yet the CD said to be the Quad wipes out the vocals from the rear channels when decoded via the exact same method,

The decode I did, using the method and disc I mentioned above, decoded almost exactly the same as the Q8 I have listened to. Even from the Q8, it's not a very active mix - more atmospheric than discrete. So if the decode through the Surround Master sounds different than the Q8, there are two options for trouble: 1) Either the CD is not the correct (QS-encoded) one, or 2) the Surround Master decoder algorithm did an incorrect decode.

The decode I did, using the method and disc I mentioned above, decoded almost exactly the same as the Q8 I have listened to. Even from the Q8, it's not a very active mix - more atmospheric than discrete. So if the decode through the Surround Master sounds different than the Q8, there are two options for trouble: 1) Either the CD is not the correct (QS-encoded) one, or 2) the Surround Master decoder algorithm did an incorrect decode.

thanks for the info that's very helpful.

when you have a chance to check, could you take a listen and let me know if there are lead vocals at equal volume in all channels on your CD QS decode or lead vocals predominantly up front with little or no vocals in the rears?

I have the quad vinyl and quad 8 track. I can't decode the vinyl properly (is it qs?) but the Q8 should be the real deal, can't mess up that decode:)

I have the quad vinyl and quad 8 track. I can't decode the vinyl properly (is it qs?) but the Q8 should be the real deal, can't mess up that decode:)

the LP is QS encoded afaik.
PLII Music should give a halfway decent approximation, the Surround Masters' Involve mode should decode any QS LP you throw at it, including this "Music" Quad LP.

the main thing I'm trying to get to the bottom of is, if both the Q8 and the decoded QS LP have vocals in all 4 channels, while the CD I have (EK 34949) when QS decoded has no vocals in the Rears only the Fronts, what exactly is the mix & mastering on that CD?

its doubly curious that the CD when QS decoded gives so very effective a surround effect.. hmm.. :unsure:

Last edited:
Back