DVD/DTS Poll Cave, Nick & The Bad Seeds - The Boatman's Call [DTS 96-24/DD DVD+CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Nick Cave & TBS - BOATMAN'S CALL

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments on Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Boatman's Call (DTS96/24 Dolby) DVD(y)(n)

Attachments

• nick cave boatmans call.jpg
    nick cave boatmans call.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 471
This (like No More Shall We Part) doesn't have an overly agressive surround mix. But it does have a very nice "plush" sound to it...

A beautiful album and about as far removed from their early days as you get. Plush is the right word, it's a very elegant mix and is subtle in the rears but it's beautifully balanced from track to track. I think I hit play and no adjustment was required throughout. It's one of those discs that Oppo 'Pure' mode allows to breath a little more.

A 10 for me as the set is a fine document of a classic album.

beautifully crafted, total contrast to the comedic (but unique) Murder Ballads.
this one is Lou Reed-ish, but not quite

gave it an 8 as it hasn't got even a hint of the menace and (to my ears) he went soft without compensating on another front.
surround is ambient, works fine for this minimalistic effort.

What the heck is going on with “Into My Arms” though? That might be my single favorite Nick Cave song, and for some reason an alternate vocal was used for the chorus of the surround version where he loses the hard “T” in the word “into”, making it sound like “innoo my arms”... and it’s crazy how that robs the song of so much power and is so distracting! Anyone know more about this? I guess it’s minor in the grand scheme but man, did that bum me out.

What the heck is going on with “Into My Arms” though? That might be my single favorite Nick Cave song, and for some reason an alternate vocal was used for the chorus of the surround version where he loses the hard “T” in the word “into”, making it sound like “innoo my arms”... and it’s crazy how that robs the song of so much power and is so distracting! Anyone know more about this? I guess it’s minor in the grand scheme but man, did that bum me out.

100%. The song is ruined.

What's even more irritating is that the stereo mix on the same disc doesn't have the same problem. What were they thinking??

I like this album quite a bit. The surround mix is more about recreating the acoustics of a cathedral, which this mix succeeds in doing. Don't expect a surround marvel.

One can see Cave writing his own kind of religious music similar to what Michael Gira does with Swans. I wished he concluded this impulse with this album as the concept wears thin on his next album Murder Ballads.

I was also impressed with the sonics of this album. The DTS encode holds up well and in no way should inhibit someone from purchasing this album, which is what I'd recommend.

Music: 9
Mix: 6.5

Back