CBS. SQ DECODER Portable devices on Auction on eBay

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbillquad

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
New Zealand . Hobsonville Rd. West Harbour
I have never seen these items before thought I`ll pass it on

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263811022099?ul_noapp=true

03s-l1600.jpg
0s-l1600.jpg
02s-l1600.jpg
2s-l1600.jpg
3s-l1600.jpg
4s-l1600.jpg

Interesting bits of kit - but not completely as rare as hen's teeth as a mere 8 years ago there was reference on this forum to a similar sale : http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/cbs-labs-sq-decoder.13465/
that ebay listing has long since gone so its impossible to tell if these are actually the same unit(s) being resold. This current batch all look a bit grubby (no one even bothered to blow the dirt off them for the photos so I doubt they've been particularly well cared for the last few decades). Do they work after all that time? - I think we all know what the likelihood of that is! I can see no immediate source of any information on them anywhere (not surprising if they were only for in house use) so fixing them might be a bit of a challenge - unless they are the simplest form of early logic units as suggested in that old QQ thread.
I don't think I'll be bidding!

Last edited:
I suppose someone originally picked these up at the CBS Lab auction when they closed I was there and they had tons of stuff.

When was that? - Did you get anything interesting?

I've just looked more carefully at the two photos and realised that although they both have the same 4200 model number, that #348 is an Encoder (hence the large number of connections) and #349 is a Decoder The Decoder has the suffix B which since it has XLR connectors may well have designated 'balanced'. It seems to have a two position rotary switch on the RHS - I wonder what that was for (photo resolution is too low to read the legend)?I'd like to see inside them - so if anyone on here buys them, please give us some photos!

Last edited:
Back