CD-4 On a Budget (If that exists?)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tpapp54321

I’m looking to upgrade my turntable to be CD-4 capable but I’m not looking to drain my account. All I need is something that will be able to pick up the carrier signal. Nothing overly fancy or overkill specs. Any recommendations (if such even exists)
Thank you,
-Tom

What is your current turntable and cartridge? If it is 1980's or newer, it will be suitable with a CD4 capable cartridge like the Audio Technica AT 440 mlb. I hear the new version of the AT95 has microlune and shibata tips, but they have yet to be reviewed for CD4. I won't get into decoders... If you watch and wait, a strain gauge cartridge and demodulator can come up at a reasonable price, but it might be a wait. I got my cartridge off a trashed tt at Value Village. The demodulator came from Japan.

There's no such thing as a "CD-4 Turntable"- all you need is low-capacitance (short) wires coming out of your TT. What you need to focus on is the cartridge- the best vintage ones (Shure M24H, Pickering XUV/D4500Q, JVC 4MD-20x/Audio Technica AT-14S, etc) are pretty expensive but if you wait it out you might get a deal.

I nabbed a 4MD-20x with a broken stylus for around $30 a few years ago, then I installed a NOS stylus for around $100. The sound/seperation is unbelievable. Was a bit pricey, but it's served me well since.

Some newer carts (Audio Technica AT440ML Microline) are said to work with CD-4. The strain gauge ones (Panasonic EPC-450C, 451C, etc) only work with the Panasonic/Technics Demodulators (SE-405, SH-400).

What is your current turntable and cartridge? If it is 1980's or newer, it will be suitable with a CD4 capable cartridge like the Audio Technica AT 440 mlb. I hear the new version of the AT95 has microlune and shibata tips, but they have yet to be reviewed for CD4. I won't get into decoders... If you watch and wait, a strain gauge cartridge and demodulator can come up at a reasonable price, but it might be a wait. I got my cartridge off a trashed tt at Value Village. The demodulator came from Japan.

I currently have a Yamaha TT-500u with an Ortophon 2m red. As far as the decoder I plan to use the CD-4 decoder in my Sansui QRX-7001.

Also I’m really intrigued by that GrooveTool cartridge!

I have the groovetool cartridge. I tried it for CD4 and did not get desirable results. It also has hum on my Technics SL5200. I didn't mind the sound of the Groovetool for occassional disc jockeying, but not as a daiIy driver. I would try your turntable with an Audio Texhnica cartridge. The vintage carts may work, but new old stock styli are a crapshoot and expensive. I would personally prefer AT as they still have styli available. When my budget allows, I intend to try their new line of styli as there is a wide selection of tips for all tastes and needs.

I’m looking to upgrade my turntable to be CD-4 capable but I’m not looking to drain my account. All I need is something that will be able to pick up the carrier signal. Nothing overly fancy or overkill specs. Any recommendations (if such even exists)
Thank you,
-Tom

Tom, This is part of Chicago's Music Direct's Black Friday deals:

https://www.musicdirect.com/turntables/pro-ject-debut-iii-matte-black-turntable?sc_src=email_225468&sc_lid=17813489&sc_uid=q4T3ndv01x&sc_llid=11436&utm_source=Emarsys&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=musicdirect+soundbytes+issue+#860_6_11-17-18sc_eh=a35fe35bb5ca8fce1

FREE shipping over $49. GREAT DEAL on a GREAT basic turntable. As for the CD~4 cartridge....you're ON YOUR OWN!

"They know how to build turntables at the Pro-Ject factory. Although the Debut III is their [introductory] model, great care has been lavished on its component parts (most are made in house) and on the final setup. If you prefer to proceed cautiously into analog without risking a lot of money, the Debut III will communicate the essence of analog as well as any. In some ways, no CD player, no matter how much you spend can compete!"
– Michael Fremer, Stereophile, Recommended Components Issue

Okay, out of curiosity is there any hopes for getting the carrier signal with my Ortofon 2m red? I remember when I had the turntable hooked up testing the Sansui the red CD-4 indicator light did turn on when I put on my old CD-4 record.

I suspect that your Ortifon has an elliptical tip. My experience tells me to say no, or at least not well. You really should have at minimum a Shibata tip, or better like microline or fineline. The 30kHz carrier signal is much smaller than an elliptical or conical tip can read accurately, at least with out excessive groove wear and high tracking forces.

Since you've already settled for the decoding part and the deck is just ok, go straight for the microline Audiotechnica and it's over.

Back