CD vs SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But many DVDAs include a DTS track in the Video_ts folder which should be compatible with all players that play DVDs at least.

DVD~A was always MY favorite format but the fact remains a lot of 'potential' purchasers were put off by the fact they couldn't play it in their cars or portable devices. If you recall, Warner/Rhino started to release digipaks with a DVD~A and separate RBCD for, I would assume, those who wanted a separate RBCD. Contrast that with the all in one hybrid SACD .... problem solved .... it had a RBCD layer, a mch layer and a Stereo CD layer ....

I can’t understand why SACD is still around. For stereo recordings? Fine. But for multi-channel recordings?

SACDs still have their fans, especially in the Classical Market where they provide a physical media approach to Stereo and Surround Sound DSD on a disc.
For download fans, DSD Stereo and DSD Surround Sound downloads address that interest.

Interesting topic. I too was of the opinion that stereo SACD offered no advantage over well done red book CD. I actually sold several stereo SACDs because of this conclusion. Then I got the Oppo 205. As Ralph said, its SACD performance is superb...so much so that I now regret selling those SACDs. So perhaps the machine plays a significant role in the comparison.

But I must admit that I've heard some 44.1/16 home brewed recordings that are simply fantastic. And I'd rather listen to a well done RBCD than a poorly done hi-res recording.

Back