Chicago II 5 Disc Collector's Edition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This set may be of interest to the vinyl community HERE

Even SDE is scratching its head over the marketing of this one. The bit of news that will be of interest to our tribe is that there will be a standalone CD+DVD release of last year's Live on Soundstage performance of the album--with a 5.1 mix.

Even SDE is scratching its head over the marketing of this one. The bit of news that will be of interest to our tribe is that there will be a standalone CD+DVD release of last year's Live on Soundstage performance of the album--with a 5.1 mix.

I'm not sure I'd be interested in that "recent" version of Chicago...for me Chicago lost it's appeal when Peter Cetera left the band....much like when Steve Perry left Journey...the band was went from a national band to a regional one...

The 5.1 mix is only for the live performance on this release.

Right. And it's not even clear from the description that Wilson did the 5.1 for the live performance. I'm guessing not.

I'm with Clint E: I haven't read any reviews of the current touring incarnation of the band, but I've got no interest in this. (Already have the original, the 5.1 DVDA, the Quadio box, and Wilson's new stereo mix.) Somebody clean up Carnegie Hall and give us a surround mix of that, already!

Last edited:
Thank you. I've never heard of him, but I LOVE that mix. It has the best fidelity of any presentation I've heard (though I am now curious to hear Wilson's stereo).

Here it is... this was a smart move by Rhino and Steven Wilson....some were annoyed that he would "waste" his time on a non surround project but Rhino put Steven's name out in front of this release and doing a project like this gains him so much national exposure...remember that the stereo community outnumbers us by a considerable margin...and this album is well known by a mainstream band...win win for both sides

I'm not sure I'd be interested in that "recent" version of Chicago...for me Chicago lost it's appeal when Peter Cetera left the band....much like when Steve Perry left Journey...the band was went from a national band to a regional one...

Obligatory snotty pretentious unsolicited negative comment: Journey lost its appeal when Steve Perry joined.

I saw Chicago last year for the first time since the XIV Tour in 1980 and thought it was a better show. In 1980 they were falling prey to the desires of the record labels and radio airplay while in 2017 they play the music they want to. With 4 of the original members still playing I respect their ability and drive to keep it going; even though Pankow gives off a super creepy vibe as the 70 year old without sleeves.

I've changed my mind...I WILL put you on ignore status...I guess I will have to live without your dissertation on gapless playback...maybe I can watch it when it becomes a mini series...goodbye and good luck

One thing I've learned about people over the years: The more hopelessly egotistical they are, the less likely they are to understand self-deprecating humor. They're so intensely in love with themselves and their own beautiful voices that when someone else openly and obviously makes fun of THEMSELVES, it sails right over their heads because, hey, they'd never make a joke at their own glorious expense, so the very idea of someone else doing so is inconceivable.

If anyone else was too [whatever] to so thoroughly miss the obvious fact that "snotty pretentious" was, with 100% humorous intent, directed at MYSELF, I apologize.

I admit that I'm more than slightly stunned to be on the receiving end of this in light of some of (what at least I have perceived as) the more blatantly insulting stuff that crops up here from time to time. I would certainly like to hope that I have never even once made any serious attempt to tell someone else their musical taste was crap.

I saw Chicago last year for the first time since the XIV Tour in 1980 and thought it was a better show. In 1980 they were falling prey to the desires of the record labels and radio airplay while in 2017 they play the music they want to. With 4 of the original members still playing I respect their ability and drive to keep it going; even though Pankow gives off a super creepy vibe as the 70 year old without sleeves.

I won tickets to see them and REO on July 25th. I can't wait! It is at the Jiffy Lube Live stage just outside of the DC area. The local radio station was giving tickets every day in May. I was the first winner!!! The had tickets for other shows...Poison, Lynryd Skyrynd, Whitesnake and Jason Bonham...and others mixed and matched this summer. I am going to try to also get to the Whitesnake show if I don't have to chase my kids to some travel sporting event when they are close. I have chased down quite a few concerts over the last few years and been having a blast. I guess I am trying to make up for all the ones I should have seen when they were in their prime....but better late than never. Thank God the 80s never died, lol.

Obligatory snotty pretentious unsolicited negative comment: Journey lost its appeal when Steve Perry joined.

With all due respect to Clint, and I have a lot respect for Clint, it was pretty clear to me that atrocity was poking fun at himself.

I imagine many of the Peter Green-era Mac fans have a similar sense of self-humor.

I imagine many of the Peter Green-era Mac fans have a similar sense of self-humor.

And Barrett-Pink Floyd...and Fish-Marillion...and Gabriel-Genesis. Probably an interesting music-but-not-quad thread in itself.

I do hope that if I ever really am deliberately a jerk here I get called out on it. I have other places I go under other aliases when I want to get in a fight, it's the last thing I want to do here. :devilish:

'Whew" I'm good! Only 67 without sleeves, Got 3 years to go!

( My ex had this name she used to call me, but decorum prevents me from repeating it)

Back