HiRez Poll Clapton, Eric - GIVE ME STRENGTH [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Eric Clapton - GIVE ME STRENGTH [BDA]

• 10: Great Surround, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • 9:

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • 8:

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • 7:

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
It looks like it is out of stock again. The item number is 1077015. Keep on checking the site. It went out of stock when I ordered it two weeks ago. Then was back in stock when I browsed the music section 2 days ago.

I was in my local Costco today and talked to the manager about this title.....I gave him the item number and explained to him it was purchased in Canada and he informed me that the item numbers in Canada aren't the same as the US Costco stores...he tried several sources and couldn't find this title anywhere in any Costco ....I have the SACD of Ocean and I'm really not a fan of the content BUT I would like to try the ES mix and see if it makes a difference..

My first disc review on the updated forum!

Finally got my hands on this one. Obviously the main attraction is ES' 461, which is awesome (though not as good as the Layla mix IMO). I've never heard the alternate 5.1 on SACD, though based on what I've read it's more of an ambient presentation which I doubt I'd enjoy as much.

It's interesting reading comments upthread (from members whose opinions I respect very much) claiming ES didn't quite hit the mark on this one. Maybe I just don't know the album well enough yet to really understand.

However, what I am finding with the ES mix is that the that the slower tracks seem to be far more effective than the faster ones...who would've thought I'd enjoy the beautiful acoustic guitar work and backing vocals in "Please Be With Me" more than the guitar frenzy of "Motherless Children".

The real surprise for me was how much better the quad transfer is than the old DTS-CD. Yes, it's not the greatest quad mix, but it has some nice moments and this is without a doubt the best way to hear it.

Here's "Motherless Children" from both the 1990s DTS-CD and the 2013 Blu-Ray. It seems the rears were mastered too low on the DTS...I'm tempted to record in my CD-4 LP and see how it looks, though the newer mastering seems a lot better balanced.

Blu-Ray:
Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 9.47.09 PM.png

DTS-CD:
Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 9.47.18 PM.png

Overall, this whole package is absolutely "10" worthy- it's great having all 3 surround mixes presented in hi-rez on a well-authored disc. I could understand complaining about the lack of stereo, but it doesn't really bug me as I honestly doubt I'd play it more than once.

Last edited:
My first disc review on the updated forum!

Finally got my hands on this one. Obviously the main attraction is ES' 461, which is awesome (though not as good as the Layla mix IMO). I've never heard the alternate 5.1 on SACD, though based on what I've read it's more of an ambient presentation which I doubt I'd enjoy as much.

It's interesting reading comments upthread (from members whose opinions I respect very much) claiming ES didn't quite hit the mark on this one. Maybe I just don't know the album well enough yet to really understand.

However, what I am finding with the ES mix is that the that the slower tracks seem to be far more effective than the faster ones...who would've thought I'd enjoy the beautiful acoustic guitar work and backing vocals in "Please Be With Me" more than the guitar frenzy of "Motherless Children".

The real surprise for me was how much better the quad transfer is than the old DTS-CD. Yes, it's not the greatest quad mix, but it has some nice moments and this is without a doubt the best way to hear it.

Here's "Motherless Children" from both the 1990s DTS-CD and the 2013 Blu-Ray. It seems the rears were mastered too low on the DTS...I'm tempted to record in my CD-4 LP and see how it looks, though the newer mastering seems a lot better balanced.

Blu-Ray:
View attachment 32386

DTS-CD:
View attachment 32387

Overall, this whole package is absolutely "10" worthy- it's great having all 3 surround mixes presented in hi-rez on a well-authored disc. I could understand complaining about the lack of stereo, but it doesn't really bug me as I honestly doubt I'd play it more than once.

whoever told you the 5.1 on the SACD is an ambient mix was mistaken :)

Maybe ‘ambient’ is too strong a term, but the SACD mix is highly conservative in its use of the rears.

there's lots of yummy EC vocals hard in the Centre and some cool stuff happening in the Rears.. the Guzauski mix isn't deserving of its' reputation imho and i wouldn't describe it as ambient nor conservative.. in some ways its more active than the Scheiner mix (and you won't hear me say that too often! i'm madly in love with much of Mr. Scheiner's MultiCh music mixes! ) 🥰

ultimately we're fortunate its one of those all too rare instances where a classic album has a Quad mix and not one but two solid 5.1 mixes! woooo!! we're spoilt for choice! its... party time!!! 🥳

there's lots of yummy EC vocals hard in the Centre and some cool stuff happening in the Rears.. the Guzauski mix isn't deserving of its' reputation imho and i wouldn't describe it as ambient nor conservative.. in some ways its more active than the Scheiner mix (and you won't hear me say that too often! i'm madly in love with much of Mr. Scheiner's MultiCh music mixes! ) 🥰

ultimately we're fortunate its one of those all too rare instances where a classic album has a Quad mix and not one but two solid 5.1 mixes! woooo!! we're spoilt for choice! its... party time!!! 🥳
I’ll definitely compare the SACD to the Blu-ray once I receive it. I’m just going from memory because even though I like 461’s music, I don’t revisit the SACD very often.

I just acquired this. Listening to the Scheiner mix was bliss. I was really looking forward to checking out the 2 quad mixes . . . but they are not on my blu-ray! Only stereo!! Has anyone else seen such a thing? Peace

I just acquired this. Listening to the Scheiner mix was bliss. I was really looking forward to checking out the 2 quad mixes . . . but they are not on my blu-ray! Only stereo!! Has anyone else seen such a thing? Peace
Does the menu list quad and you try to play it and get stereo?
If so, yes, I've experienced this. My Sony x800 will only play the fronts of some 4.0 sources, the Give Me Strength quads included. I have to play them on my OPPO.

Yes! That's exactly what's happening. Damn that X-800! That's what I'm using! Freaking Sony!! I'll try the OPPO tomorrow. You have given me hope! Thanks so much. And shout out to Snood for turning me on to a back-up OPPO! Peace

Yes! That's exactly what's happening. Damn that X-800! That's what I'm using! Freaking Sony!! I'll try the OPPO tomorrow. You have given me hope! Thanks so much. And shout out to Snood for turning me on to a back-up OPPO! Peace
On some sources I can trick my x800 in to playing 4.0. Afaik, this always works on quad SACDS: if it starts up fronts only, go to Home, navigate up to settings, enter settings (change nothing), return home, play disc, voila!

On some sources I can trick my x800 in to playing 4.0. Afaik, this always works on quad SACDS: if it starts up fronts only, go to Home, navigate up to settings, enter settings (change nothing), return home, play disc, voila!
Grr! Couldn't sleep, thinking about hearing those Quad mixes . . . and thinking, somehow, I had already tried the OPPO route. Well, it all comes back to me--my used OPPO does not play Blu-Rays! And, sadly, my x800 did not fall for the trick! C'est la vie; c'est la guerre

Grr! Couldn't sleep, thinking about hearing those Quad mixes . . . and thinking, somehow, I had already tried the OPPO route. Well, it all comes back to me--my used OPPO does not play Blu-Rays! And, sadly, my x800 did not fall for the trick! C'est la vie; c'est la guerre
Bummer!

Okay, I busted out the PS3 and my old Blu ray player (granted, both Sony), and I have the same problem: Scheiner 5.1 mix plays fine; 461 OB and TOIEC SAY 4.0 on the screen, but they play as 2.0. The reason I'm asking is that I was shocked at how inexpensive the unopened Give Me Strength set was--$35! It seemed too good to be true! And now it seems it is . . . too good to be true. Maybe I'll find someone close to me who has an OPPO Blu ray player, but my suspicion (and, yes, I've been hardwired for conspiracy theories) is that the seller somehow got ahold of a defective batch of these sets. Any hoo, Peter Tosh's Legalize It arrived today, and I feel SO much better drenched in his dank sinsemilla surround sound. Peace

Okay, I busted out the PS3 and my old Blu ray player (granted, both Sony), and I have the same problem: Scheiner 5.1 mix plays fine; 461 OB and TOIEC SAY 4.0 on the screen, but they play as 2.0. The reason I'm asking is that I was shocked at how inexpensive the unopened Give Me Strength set was--$35! It seemed too good to be true! And now it seems it is . . . too good to be true. Maybe I'll find someone close to me who has an OPPO Blu ray player, but my suspicion (and, yes, I've been hardwired for conspiracy theories) is that the seller somehow got ahold of a defective batch of these sets. Any hoo, Peter Tosh's Legalize It arrived today, and I feel SO much better drenched in his dank sinsemilla surround sound. Peace
Where'd you buy it from, Clement?

Where'd you buy it from, Clement?

Clement, sorry about your 'troubles' playing the Give Me Strength BD~As. In my experience, the OPPOs play almost EVERYTHING [including those impossible CD sides of dualdiscs]. I even have problems sometimes with my ridiculously more expensive Meridian DVD~A/Reference RBCD players [they're finicky as hell but sound SUPERB]....and the OPPO usually plays the same discs without a 'burp!'

Hopefully, you'll resolve your issue but if those sets came SEALED .......kind of doubtful they came from a 'defective batch ...' but who knows .... they could've been RESEALED.

Have a nice holiday.

Back