Close Encounters of the Third Kind Soundtrack on DVD Audio?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggplant

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Normally I would chalk a listing like this up to one crazy seller among the silt commonly found in Amazon listings. But there are TWO potential nutzo offerings here: one for an even $160, another at $289.37 -- presumably to undercut the cutthroat competition for this item at, say, $289.50.

Is there any chance this is a 5.1 DVD-Audio equivalent of Aerosmith Rocks?
As in, real but extremely rare?

https://www.amazon.com/Close-Encoun...7&keywords=close+encounters+of+the+third+kind

Did you see what some douche is asking for a sealed cassette tape of that title? Amazon should really crack down on these dreamers. Maybe they should limit the amount of time they are allowed to advertise individual items before they must reduce the price by an agreed-on percentage. I am sure that some of this stuff has been sitting there for years.

hk,hjgklujluyjliu.jpg
fdghgfhgf.jpg

From the listing:

"This 1977 recording was transferred from the original analog 2 track 1/4" master tapes at Bernie Grundman Mastering directly using a 24 bit / 192 kHz converter to preserve every nuance of orchestral detail"

So it may be DVD-Audio, but stereo only.

From the listing:

"This 1977 recording was transferred from the original analog 2 track 1/4" master tapes at Bernie Grundman Mastering directly using a 24 bit / 192 kHz converter to preserve every nuance of orchestral detail"

So it may be DVD-Audio, but stereo only.

On it's own it's brilliant and would make a nice companion to the less obscenely priced TRUE 4K remaster of the movie: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Close-Encounters-of-the-Third-Kind-4K-Blu-ray/171515/#Review

It's an HDAD!! I have one still sealed. I bought these back in the day (along with 2 Alan Parsons discs), but they are stereo, HiRez, DVD discs, with a stereo 24/192 DVD-Audio track on one side and a 24/96 DVD track on the other. Here's a quick shitty scan I just did:

Close Encounter Front.jpgClose Encounter Back.jpg

It's an HDAD!! I have one still sealed. I bought these back in the day (along with 2 Alan Parsons discs), but they are stereo, HiRez, DVD discs, with a stereo 24/192 DVD-Audio track on one side and a 24/96 DVD track on the other. Here's a quick shitty scan I just did:

If it "was transferred from the original analog 2 track 1/4" master tapes", I don't see how it could be anything but stereo.

There were audio-only HDAD releases?
I had no idea.
Were they stereo only?

There were audio-only HDAD releases?
I had no idea.
Were they stereo only?

There were a few, and stereo-only. I have a couple of classical disks ... one is from an existing QS quad LP, with the encoding intact ... and I recall that there was a Pete Townsend title.

Attachments

• P1020862.jpg
    P1020862.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 110
[from Steve Hoffman forum]

To my knowledge HDAD was not a format but simply a brand marketing term. They ... feature a 2-sided DVD with 24/96 DVD-Video on one side and 24/192 DVD-Audio on the other.

So it wouldn't be so wrong to call this a DVDA, esp since supposed afficionados like me didn't even know what HDAD was.

[from Steve Hoffman forum]

To my knowledge HDAD was not a format but simply a brand marketing term. They ... feature a 2-sided DVD with 24/96 DVD-Video on one side and 24/192 DVD-Audio on the other.

So it wouldn't be so wrong to call this a DVDA, esp since supposed afficionados like me didn't even know what HDAD was.

That simply isn't true. DVD-Audio requires a different (MLP) codec, while these Hi-Rez DVDs are simply PCM format disks that are playable on standard DVD players (assuming they will play those sampling frequencies).

these Hi-Rez DVDs are simply PCM format disks that are playable on standard DVD players (assuming they will play those sampling frequencies).

So there were DVD-V players capable of playing 24/192 audio?
And they existed in the late 90's?

That's when I vaguely recall HDAD discs showing up at Ken Crane's (the Laserdisc big-box that had just started -- reluctantly -- carrying DVD). I remember those spines.

That simply isn't true. DVD-Audio requires a different (MLP) codec, while these Hi-Rez DVDs are simply PCM format disks that are playable on standard DVD players (assuming they will play those sampling frequencies).

They are two sided. If you look at the back of the disc, it says 24/192 which isn't possible on a standard DVD. The Close Encounters disc does indeed have an AUDIO_TS folder utilized on one side. MLP isn't needed with a two channel recording. MLP isn't required for DVD-AUDIO discs. MLP is required for full 5.1 discs because the bitrates become too high.

So there were DVD-V players capable of playing 24/192 audio?
And they existed in the late 90's?

That's when I vaguely recall HDAD discs showing up at Ken Crane's (the Laserdisc big-box that had just started -- reluctantly -- carrying DVD). I remember those spines.

No. 24/96 is max for stereo DVD-V discs. The HDAD discs are both DVD-A and DVD-V depending on which side is played.

Can someone please tell me why they would make these two sided rather than make a standard DVD-AUDIO disc? Only thing I can think of at the moment is to save costs on the DVD-AUDIO licence which must be expensive considering the cost of producing two sided discs. Hmm...

It's no wonder the market got all confused when they tried to sell music on a DVD as opposed to a CD. :confused::mad:@::confused:

Yep, I got caught. I bought (on-line) Pete Townsend's "Who Came First" & John Lee Hooker's "Mr. Lucky" thinking they were surround discs, and then wondered why they only played in Stereo!

Who Came First.jpgMr.Lucky.jpg

It's no wonder the market got all confused when they tried to sell music on a DVD as opposed to a CD. :confused::mad:@::confused:

They actually released three Townshend titles. In addition to Who Came First, they also released the 2nd & 3rd Scoop compilations. The two Scoop albums though are single sided and only have the 24/96 layers. Maybe they figured that since these were Pete's home demos, they wouldn't benefit from 24/192.

I also have two Alan Parsons Project titles that both sound very nice, I Robot & Turn of a Friendly Card.

PT-APP.jpg

Last edited:

When I first came across these around 1999, I had no idea what equipment were needed to play them. I just knew that whatever it was, I didn't have it.

Back