• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not request or offer for sale or trade copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

COMING SOON: QQ Generation FOUR!

JonUrban

Administrator
Staff member
As some of you know, QQ started out as a Yahoo! group run by Tad Bartel (Quadtrade) and Kenneth Newman. In 2002 I started a new QQ on the EZBoard system which wasn't bad, but soon turned out to be a slow burden. I then moved us to a real forum and website in 2003 and a legit vBulletin forum in 2003. We've been with vBulletin since then, through versions 2, 3 and 4. I did purchase Version 5 when it came out, but I was never happy with it and consequently, that was money wasted.

Since you all convinced me that QQ was indeed worth keeping around a few months ago, I decided to proceed with a plan I have last year to move us from vBulletin to XenForo, which is forum software developed by some of the original vBulletin designers. This is the same software used around the web at other forums, including the Steve Hoffman Forum.

I know that some of you old guys like me hate change, and you'll be all ticked off and hate it, but it's better looking forward with a modern product and all in all it will be a better long term solution for whoever I decide to take over this place when I decide to disappear.

So, over the next month or so, expect a few outages here and there, and a final couple of days with the forum completely down as the changeover is made. I have a running imported forum running right now on my laptop and am getting familiar with the software. It will take a while.

We will lose some of the custom features that I added to vB over the years, but those features are no longer supported by their originators and it's best that we lose them anyway.

Below are some screenshots of the forum "look". Of course everything is subject to change but this will give you an idea of the different look and feel.

Feel free to ask questions in this thread and leave comments, pro and con. I don't mind input at all. If you have any ideas or suggestions, make them as well. I cannot promise to implement things I cannot do, but I'd be happy to hear what you all have to say.

Thanks again for being here and making this place what it is today.

This is a look at the main forum page:

QQNEW-001MAINPAGE.jpg

Here's what you'll get when you click for "What's New":

QQNEW-004WHATS NEWPAGE.jpg

Here's a look at a poll result thread:

QQNEW-001POLLPAGE.jpg

You can also ask to see all threads with no replies!.....

QQNEW-005NOREPLYPAGE.jpg

XenForo does not have Blogs, so the vB Blogs will be converted into special UserHeaded threads. This is one of the conversion deals I have to get a better grip on.

QQNEW-006BLOGSPAGE.jpg

There are also other features in the software, like the screen below:

QQNEW-003MEMBERPAGE.jpg

GOS

GOS 3.0
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOS is third in messages...though I don't know what that is.....I support all and any changes.....long live QQ!!

steelydave

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Staff member
This looks fantastic, I can't wait for the upgrade. For me personally, there was almost zero discomfort when SH.tv moved from vBulletin to xenforo - the only difference seems to be some minor aesthetic differences, but the functionality is effectively the same. The features that are new in xenforo are so intuitively added that they're easy to pick up.

I think the biggest boon to the site will be that the search functionality in Xenforo works really well - QQ has an absolute wealth of historical and review information and I think with the current 'semi-broken' search functionality, we've only just scratched the surface of making a lot of that available. My hope is that when the new version goes live that we'll see lots of old threads bumped, questions, answered, information revealed etc.

What's the status of image hosting/storage with the new software?

Clint Eastwood

All I have to say Jon is THANKS..nobody here expected anything new...we were just thrilled that the forum would continue...this is just a bonus...and it looks great to me(y)

doppelbock

Good stuff - thanks Jon!

Xenforo is pretty much the standard these days and seems to function very well on the several forums I post on.

milt

500 Club - QQ All Star
Excellent idea, Jon.
We may be old dogs, but we know all the tricks ;)
This will be a great enhancement.
Thank you.

As some of you know, QQ started out as a Yahoo! group run by Tad Bartel (Quadtrade) and Kenneth Newman. In 2002 I started a new QQ on the EZBoard system which wasn't bad, but soon turned out to be a slow burden. I then moved us to a real forum and website in 2003 and a legit vBulletin forum in 2003. We've been with vBulletin since then, through versions 2, 3 and 4. I did purchase Version 5 when it came out, but I was never happy with it and consequently, that was money wasted.

Since you all convinced me that QQ was indeed worth keeping around a few months ago, I decided to proceed with a plan I have last year to move us from vBulletin to XenForo, which is forum software developed by some of the original vBulletin designers. This is the same software used around the web at other forums, including the Steve Hoffman Forum.

I know that some of you old guys like me hate change, and you'll be all ticked off and hate it, but it's better looking forward with a modern product and all in all it will be a better long term solution for whoever I decide to take over this place when I decide to disappear.

So, over the next month or so, expect a few outages here and there, and a final couple of days with the forum completely down as the changeover is made. I have a running imported forum running right now on my laptop and am getting familiar with the software. It will take a while.

We will lose some of the custom features that I added to vB over the years, but those features are no longer supported by their originators and it's best that we lose them anyway.

Below are some screenshots of the forum "look". Of course everything is subject to change but this will give you an idea of the different look and feel.

Feel free to ask questions in this thread and leave comments, pro and con. I don't mind input at all. If you have any ideas or suggestions, make them as well. I cannot promise to implement things I cannot do, but I'd be happy to hear what you all have to say.

Thanks again for being here and making this place what it is today.

This is a look at the main forum page:

View attachment 32135

Here's what you'll get when you click for "What's New":

View attachment 32132

Here's a look at a poll result thread:

View attachment 32136

You can also ask to see all threads with no replies!.....

View attachment 32133

XenForo does not have Blogs, so the vB Blogs will be converted into special UserHeaded threads. This is one of the conversion deals I have to get a better grip on.

View attachment 32134

There are also other features in the software, like the screen below:

View attachment 32137
Looking good Jon. One question, what impact (if any) will this have on access via Tapatalk?

Sent from my K5000 using Tapatalk

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
I love it!
Quadraphonic Quad Version 4.0, the ultimate Quadraphonic experience on the interwebz! :banana:

:)