Dual Disc Comprehensive DualDisc Listing from "sukothai"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For some reason my browser will only display 101 lines of the Dualdisc spreadsheet, I take it that it truly is 1150 lines?
Anyone have opinions on the Live At Ronnie Scott disc(s), specifically Curtis Mayfield? John

For some reason my browser will only display 101 lines of the Dualdisc spreadsheet, I take it that it truly is 1150 lines?
Anyone have opinions on the Live At Ronnie Scott disc(s), specifically Curtis Mayfield? John

The Taj Mahal Live at Ronnie Scotts sounds like its fake surround. Having said that it sounds OK - the bass is a bit overdone though. Don't have the Curtis Mayfield one.

A general question about Dual discs:

On a DVD-A it's easy to determine the resolution, my player tells me at the press of a button.

But on DDs no such option seems to exist to display the resolution.

Is it always the same resolution on the DD as the DVD-A, the difference being its LPCM instead of PPCM?

On a DVD-A it's easy to determine the resolution, my player tells me at the press of a button.

Is it always the same resolution on the DD as the DVD-A, the difference being its LPCM instead of PPCM?

I haven't checked for that specifically but in just same situation as you, if I ever get curious as to what the quality of the stream is playing and the BDP cant give any info, I play back DD material via HDMI on my BDP and then go to the "Information" Menu on my Yammy AVR and select "Audio Signal".. and it gives me a breakdown of:
Format, Sampling, Channel, Bitrate & Dialogue...and in that little lot it gives me all the kbps & kHz info etc.

I don't know if that's of any use to you.. or if I'm barking up the wrong tree..!? Probably am..! :eek:

the DVD side of Dual Disc, if that exist on DVD-A, is absolutely identical to DVD-A as they use for replication same master disc.
PPCM is just another abreviation for MLP and stands for Packed PCM, thus if DVD-A has streams, coded into MLP (PPCM), same
stream were used on the Dual Disc version of the albums.

Not exactly the same. The DVD-A only version of Big Phat Band's - Swingin' for the Fences has 96/24 while the Dualdisc has only 48/24 resolution. I think there may be others that were rez reduced for the Dualdisc format. Maybe only in the Silverline discs.

Not exactly the same. The DVD-A only version of Big Phat Band's - Swingin' for the Fences has 96/24 while the Dualdisc has only 48/24 resolution. I think there may be others that were rez reduced for the Dualdisc format. Maybe only in the Silverline discs.

FYI - According to this post :
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...DOCUMENT-DVD-A&p=135753&viewfull=1#post135753

The R.E.M. Document Dualdisc also has a lower rate Stereo Hi-rez stream 48K vs 192K than on the standalone DVD-A.

that's true but such cases can be viwed as exception than typical. i haven't seen Dual Disc with dual layer DVD side.
in the case of reissue of similar content, the data, which is over 4.7 gb of storage should be reduced, to fit single layer DVD.

I added the Antonis Remos "San Anemos" disk to the list. I put it in the DD 5.1 category because I couldn't find any indication of DTS or DVD-A. If anyone knows otherwise, let me know.

I didn't add the Peter Gallagher disk because while researching the format I found several sites that state the DVD side is "Enhanced Stereo" not surround; so the eBay listing you found is incorrect. Here's a quote from the Barnes and Noble description:
[7 Days in Memphis was also released as a DualDisc, with the DVD side containing the album in enhanced stereo but not in a 5.1 mix, plus a documentary about the record's making and a featurette.]

Thanks for the tips.

Ben

Found a 5.1 dualdisc not listed.
Band is MASK - title is Heavy Petal, The Tenebrous Odyssey of Jack and Virginia
MDC001
DVD side is Dolby digital 5.1 - 3 songs in 5.1 - This is PAL - region 2 - year 2005
I suppose the genre is ambient, although one of the 5.1 songs does have a beat
The three 5.1 songs are - Free, Lambent Spree, Healing Senses.

vinylguy4

I've just bought it and gave it a quick listen today. The mix is rather ambient than discrete... only for completists, I'd say.

Found a 5.1 dualdisc not listed.
Band is MASK - title is Heavy Petal, The Tenebrous Odyssey of Jack and Virginia
MDC001
DVD side is Dolby digital 5.1 - 3 songs in 5.1 - This is PAL - region 2 - year 2005
I suppose the genre is ambient, although one of the 5.1 songs does have a beat
The three 5.1 songs are - Free, Lambent Spree, Healing Senses.

vinylguy4

Added with your notes.

So, I'm a little embarrassed to even admit I purchased this but.... in my quest to acquire cheap surround discs I ordered a copy of Jessica Simpson In This Skin. It was listed as a Dualdisc, but I don't think it's surround. It's new and I don't want to open it if it's not surround because I'll try to unload it on Ebay, but the DVD features are Jessica and Nick's Wedding and Newlyweds: Scenes from the First Season.... :( Were there multiple dualdisc releases of this title? Some with surround content and some with wedding videos?

Back