Concert For George - Blu Ray out today 3/22/11

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

I have this on DVD with a DTS mix - the performances from all (Eric Clapton, Jeff Lynne, Paul McCartney, Gary Brooker, Ringo Starr, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, etc) are all outstanding. The packaged contains 2 discs - including both the entire concert uninterrupted and the the Theatrical release containg classic funny bits from the Monty Python alumni (along with a very special guest). If you have an interest in the traditional music of India - it is realized here by Ravi Shankar and his daughter Anoushka who is quite the talented Sitar player (she is also a beauty and dead ringer for her half sister Norah Jones). The orchestral piece composed by Shankar for this event is quite unusual and compelling. You can skip this of course if it is not your cup o' tea - but I think you should check it out at least once. The mix is OK - sound quality and PQ are both excellent on the DVD. I can't imagine that the BD will offer up any significant improvement visually - more interested in the DTS HD MA track - will it be remixed or just a higher res version of the DVD mix.

Would love to hear back from anyone that has both for comparison.

If you missed out on the DVD version, then I would highly recommend the Blu Ray of this show - great songs, performances, and very touching tribute to the quiet Beatle without getting overly maudlin.

Here"s the press release from Rhino http://media.rhino.com/node/8791

The video is not much better except on the close shots.

The audio is stellar. The DTS on the DVD sounded dull, lifeless and slightly compressed to me. Probably because of all the instruments involved. Could never get it to that volume level that I like concerts at (LOUD!) The DTS MA is stellar. When you have it cranked up everything is still clear and generally the instruments are still distinguishable. The bass is very good. Tight and not overbearing. Out of 10 it is probably a 9. Not the best among the (current) 130 BR concerts/music discs that I have but very close.

I wish we had a poll for this concert. One of my favorites. It has great sound quality and I swear there's just a wee bit of wrap-around surround going on. You get an Indian concert of Ravi Shankar's songs played by a huge orchestra lead by his daughter Anoushka, a couple of Monty Python sketches/songs, then a great all-star cast of musicians performing some of George's best songs. There's a lot of love in the room on this concert. George's songs and the performance of them by his friends makes me feel so peaceful and happy.

I wish we had a poll for this concert. One of my favorites. It has great sound quality and I swear there's just a wee bit of wrap-around surround going on. You get an Indian concert of Ravi Shankar's songs played by a huge orchestra lead by his daughter Anoushka, a couple of Monty Python sketches/songs, then a great all-star cast of musicians performing some of George's best songs. There's a lot of love in the room on this concert. George's songs and the performance of them by his friends makes me feel so peaceful and happy.
I got the Blu-ray set when it was released recently, really good.

I would be surprised if it was any different than the other one, but according to this blog, he seems to think the video is slightly better.

https://recordscdsandmusic.blog/2018/02/24/happy-75th-george-harrison-concert-for-george-2018-2-cd-2-blu-ray-review

Perhaps the BD~Vs were scanned/upsampled from the original 1080p [or higher?] video in a higher resolution....4K, perhaps?

BTW, the Amazon price is better than Deep Discount's $40 price.

If anyone has this new remaster, I'm sure we'd all appreciate a review? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Perhaps the BD~Vs were scanned/upsampled from the original 1080p [or higher?] video in a higher resolution....4K, perhaps?

BTW, the Amazon price is better than Deep Discount's $40 price.

If anyone has this new remaster, I'm sure we'd all appreciate a review? Thanks in advance.

The original video was captured in digital 1080p (it was 2002, remember), so the source is the same, only the Blu-Ray encoding is better on the new version.
Or maybe they also did a slightly better colour-grading, I don't know, I haven't got the details.

Last edited:
Skipped straight to the George cover songs by his friends and family this time. This doesn't have much surround info going on at all, but it has great fidelity and it's one of my all time favorite live video concerts.

George is my favorite Beatle!
rock.gif

Watching this beautiful tribute again. Weird that the new version didn't have any video footage, for a live performance with pre-recorded HD video footage previously available. Love the Indian music intro (Anoushka is amazing and beautiful), the awesome tributes from George's friends (Some of the all time best), and the hilarious Monty Python semi-reunion (with Neil Innes!)

Last edited:
Back