DTS-CD Cyberlink PowerDirector 12 (includes DTS 5.1 Encoder!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerJAU

Moderator: MCH Media Players
Staff member
I recently discovered my Audi could play DTS 5.1 from DVD-V discs - see 'Cars with Factory Surround Systems' post:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...s-quot-Listing&p=199546&viewfull=1#post199546

So went on a discovery mission to find easiest way to convert my many 5.1 music discs (already in 5.1 FLAC for my media player) to DTS-V discs. I found this:

Cyberlink PowerDirector 12 Ultra (and other PD 12 products) include 'DTS 5.1 Producer' which is licenced from DTS Inc. This is limited to 5.1 at 48/24 1536kbps, the normal DVD DTS standard.

The best feature of using PowerDirector 12 is that it accepts single 5.1 WAV files, it does not require 6 individual channel WAVs. It has a time-line editor so tracks can be trimmed, for example to remove talking during concerts videos etc. You can add your own video in PAL or NTSC, add JPEG photos etc too.

(You can also create Blu-ray Discs, import DTS and DD tracks from DVD and Blu-Ray, assuming it does not have DRM. Create menus, track list etc too. In my case I just want to 'Insert disc and it plays').

Also the 30 day trial is fairly feature complete, so you can author DVD-Vs with 5.1 DTS for playback as it burns directly to disc. In my case I don't need any video (I just placed the album cover art as the video - when my car is moving the Video is blanked, only sound continues when playing DVD-V).

Link to PowerDirector Ultra (approx. $85 USD): http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-ultra/features_en_AU.html

Link to DTS 5.1 Producer press release: http://www.dts.com/corporate/press-releases/2012/01/cyberlink-powerdirector-10.aspx

I know this is not lossless 5.1 but it is 5.1 and to my ears DTS 5.1 48/24 can sound very good! (and its a nice upgrade on listening to MP3s or redbook CDs for me!)

Last edited:
So, I'm looking to do the exact same thing. Looking at a 2013 allroad in the states that has the DVD and Nav.

I looked at PowerDirector 12, but the new version 13 is out. I saw no reference to DTS - so am wondering if the support is still there. Have you upgraded?

Any other tips that you've learned along the way? What type of writable DVD (+RW...) works best in the Audi?

Last edited:
Hi. I downloaded and updated to Power Director 13 middle of last year and the DTS Encoder was not included. I was pretty pissed off at the time as I only use it for DTS DVDs (actually I used their AudioDirector to swap channels around on a defective BDA and also to remove talking on live music I've converted to FLAC audio). I haven't made any DTS DVDs for my car since

I was just thinking the other day to re-install Power Director 12 as I have a few new surround discs I'd like to convert to DVD to play in my car.

Maybe you can email CyberLink and ask if you can get version 12? Or see if you can buy 12 somewhere.

Edit: I'm pretty sure the I'm using DVD-R discs

Garry

Thanks for that. I found the PD12 on Amazon, so ordered that. It looks like I've got some work ahead of me. I'll need to pull the DTS tracks from the source DVDs (or DVD-A disks) to create the DVDs like you did. Will PD12 pull the tracks for me - or do you suggest another program?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I think it can copy the DVD-V DTS files (not any DVD-A files). I didn't copy any DTS files. It only supports 48kHz for DTS.

I copied my FLAC 5.1 files (since I have converted all my surround discs to FLAC). In some cases I had to convert from 96kHz or 88.1kHz to 48kHz for PD12 to encode to DTS.

I then just added the Album art as the video and added a Chapter for each track and added a caption with the track name (just for first 20 secs of each track). I did not add any menu as I can easily skip forward and back chapters (tracks).

I had my Audi MMI changed to show video while moving.

When you 'Produce' select NTSC as I was concerned PAL would change the sound/pitch (for PAL) - but maybe I didn't have to?

So that creates the DVD image. Then I burned to a DVD. Dual layer worked ok too (I used Imageburn - free).

Try something small for first tests, just a few tracks on a single layer disc.

Thanks for the feedback! I've had some decent luck so far. Still a bit rough.

I've been using "DVD Audio Extractor" to pull uncompressed 6Wav files from DVD-A disks.

I found "Cyberlink PowerDirector 12" in a retail box at Amazon for pretty cheap as it is "old".

I found that I had to go through the 6Wav step as PD12 seems pretty ridged about files with copy protection.

Yes - getting rid of the menu is the way to go. Throw in the disk and it starts playing. No muss - no fuss.

By the way, how did you "fix" the Audi MMI? That sounds like a great idea... For the sake of the passenger - of course.

Hi, I'm sure I used single MCH files with 5.1 audio in PD12 (not 6 x monos).

There's a secret green menu for the Audi MMI that allows you to switch on additional features/options. I had it done last October when I had my Navigation maps updated to 2014 version (from 2009).

It was done by a local Audi guy. He switched on a couple other features including Tyre Pressure Monitoring.

Here's a link about the hidden green menu: http://mr-fix.info/mmi-hidden-green-menu-2g-3g/

Lots of other stuff on the web about it.

Back