Music DVD Poll David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust & the Spiders From Mars, The Motion Picture"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-V of "David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust, The Motion Picture"

• 10 - Great Mix, Great Picture, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 - Poor Mix, Poor Picture, Poor Content

• Total voters

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Please post your thoughts, comments & observations

I may as well add my thoughts to this one too.
Voted an 8, as I believe the absence of a DTS track is worth losing points for right off the top. Why? It really is supposed to be about the music IMHO, with the video coming second. And given the footage is restored 1973 vintage, dropping the video bitrate a little to fit in a DTS track would have rated this one a 10, as it is a true piece of history. The other point loss is because even though there is a stereo track also included, this new remix is not as good as the original release was to my ears.

A classic show, highly recommended. It is a fine mix too - perhaps a little too ambient, but after all this is a live show, so you are put into the iddle of the Odeon (it will always be the "Hammy Odeon" to us locals, never the "Apollo" as they call it these days).
For some reason there are also still tracks missing from the final footage. They were missing in the original release too - "The Jean Genie/Love me Do" with Jeff Beck guesting on guitar (I know it was filmed at the same time, as I have some seriously grainy footage of this), the full "retirement speech" is missing, as is the original penultimate track, "Round and Round".
What is there, though, is Bowie at his finest - utter magic, from start to finish.

EDIT:
I was playing the LPCM version today, through the Yamaha DVD S1500 with it still in Direct Out mode, therefore bbypassing the AV's DSP.
It decodes into surround - so therefore I am assuming it is actually matrix encoded.
Never spotted this before - can anyone confirm?

Highly recommended:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Last edited:
Can anyone speak to how discrete the mix is? Is the surround mainly limited to audience noise in the back speakers? The 2003 stereo mix is almost mono on many songs and I’d love to hear more separation.

I really like the mix. I wasn't expecting much since it's was recorded years ago but I felt Visconti did a super job with whatever he had to work with. I give it a 9. It's a great set list. The show rocks, it's got Ronson. I would absolutely love for Yessongs to get a treatment like this.

I think this album of live Bowie in 73 is quite good, and discreet as can be for an older soundtrack.

The real test tune is "Moonage Daydream" , with Mick Ronson ' s guitar spinning about the rear channels. Another Job well done Tony Visconti all in DTS MA .

The aged video shows , but the music is well worth the listen . Mick Ronson at his finest with Ziggy , about to retire.

I still have 5 more tunes to listen to , but I don't think it will affect my vote ...

EIGHT

Back