DVD/DTS Poll Davis, Miles - Sketches of Spain [DTS 96/24 DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Mile Davis - SKETCHES OF SPAIN

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Just ordered Sketches of Spain from Monster. I also have five other Monster "Superdiscs" on order. Two from Monster.com, one from eBay, and two from Amazon. As a latecomer to this hobby, I feel very fortunate there's still some low hanging fruit. :)

I listened to Sketches today. It's a solid 9 for me. Amazing sound for recordings of this age, and the surround mix is more dynamic than I expected. My only ding is the sound of the flute didn't sound realistic to my ears.

Just ordered Sketches of Spain from Monster. I also have five other Monster "Superdiscs" on order. Two from Monster.com, one from eBay, and two from Amazon. As a latecomer to this hobby, I feel very fortunate there's still some low hanging fruit. :)

I listened to Sketches today. It's a solid 9 for me. Amazing sound for recordings of this age, and the surround mix is more dynamic than I expected. My only ding is the sound of the flute didn't sound realistic to my ears.

Have you tried playing the 96/24 uncompressed lossless stereo remaster? It sounds amazing on my system.

Have you tried playing the 96/24 uncompressed lossless stereo remaster? It sounds amazing on my system.

Thanks. I think I figured it out. I could be wrong, but in the opening track the mix has the flute playing louder than I would expect it to play relative to the trumpet. It's a small issue, sounding a bit unnatural to me.

Both the surround and 96/24 sound mostly amazing :)

Thanks. I think I figured it out. I could be wrong, but in the opening track the mix has the flute playing louder than I would expect it to play relative to the trumpet. It's a small issue, sounding a bit unnatural to me.

Both the surround and 96/24 sound mostly amazing :)

Hmmm. Another title I've owned for quite some time and never even opened it yet. :yikes

Hmmm. Another title I've owned for quite some time and never even opened it yet. :yikes

What are you waiting for, Gene? Monster actually accessed the original Columbia three channel masters to create a 5.1 soundfield. Is it discrete? Well, no, but it really sounds extraordinary. Only wish Monster released it in MLP DVD~A in surround rather than just 96/24 Stereo.

What are you waiting for, Gene? Monster actually accessed the original Columbia three channel masters to create a 5.1 soundfield. Is it discrete? Well, no, but it really sounds extraordinary. Only wish Monster released it in MLP DVD~A in surround rather than just 96/24 Stereo.

Haha - I don't know. Nor had I opened my Lee Ritenour 6 String Theory....until just a few moments ago. And...WOW! It sounds great.

Haha - I don't know. Nor had I opened my Lee Ritenour 6 String Theory....until just a few moments ago. And...WOW! It sounds great.

The Ritenour disc sounds supreme. Only wish Monster had continued releasing surround titles from the Concord Jazz catalog. I have ALL the Monster releases and can happily report there isn't a dud in the bunch.

I just purchased this from the Monster website, where they are blowing it out at $9.99 (have you seen the sky-high prices on Amazon? :rolleyes: ).

I absolutely LOVE the music - that goes without saying, really - but the care and attention to which this disc was remastered and presented is astonishing. The sound quality is really beautiful and captures literally everything. The booklet is nicely done as well, and the fact that there's a Legacy logo on the inside back page is not lost on me, as pertains to what might have been had CBS/Sony kept going with MC.

I highly recommend it and say GET IT WHILE YOU STILL CAN.

I just purchased this from the Monster website, where they are blowing it out at $9.99 (have you seen the sky-high prices on Amazon? :rolleyes: ).

I absolutely LOVE the music - that goes without saying, really - but the care and attention to which this disc was remastered and presented is astonishing. The sound quality is really beautiful and captures literally everything. The booklet is nicely done as well, and the fact that there's a Legacy logo on the inside back page is not lost on me, as pertains to what might have been had CBS/Sony kept going with MC.

I highly recommend it and say GET IT WHILE YOU STILL CAN.

I agree, and I also got my copy direct from Monster back a ways...for a very cheap price. :)

Is this disc ($9.99) playing for anyone in DTS surround? So far all I'm getting is PCM 2.0.

Logo on front says 'HDHS High Definition Headphone Surround". No DTS logo anywhere
Disc itself says "STEREO Plays in any CD player"

It's the only disc in the package.

I've tried ripping it with dbpoweramp
-directly to flac
- to .wav
-to.wav, then change suffix to .dts

Tried playing it directly in foobar ("Open audio CD') from an attached Bluray drive
Also tried playing the disc in a standard Panasonic BluRay player

Output is always bitstream digital to an AVR that is DTS-capable.

Plays as 2.0, never displays as DTS.

Doesn't look like you have the DTS disc, this is mine which plays in Surround

Sketches-Disc.jpg

Is this disc ($9.99) playing for anyone in DTS surround? So far all I'm getting is PCM 2.0.

Logo on front says 'HDHS High Definition Headphone Surround". No DTS logo anywhere
Disc itself says "STEREO Plays in any CD player"

It's the only disc in the package.

I've tried ripping it with dbpoweramp
-directly to flac
- to .wav
-to.wav, then change suffix to .dts

Tried playing it directly in foobar ("Open audio CD') from an attached Bluray drive
Also tried playing the disc in a standard Panasonic BluRay player

Output is always bitstream digital to an AVR that is DTS-capable.

Plays as 2.0, never displays as DTS.

Last time I checked the Monster site, they were selling each disc--both the CD version and the DVD 5.1 version--at the same price, and the packaging looked almost identical. Easy to mistake one for the other...

That totally sucks. Not to pour rubbing alcohol in the wound, but I picked up a couple of copies of this from Monster shipped for like $5 each, within the last couple of years.

I just ordered a couple of copies and was worried there for a minute that I may have ordered the CD and not the 5.1 DVD. Checked my item number and it is the DVD thank god.

I love it when these little exclusives get issued, and they are good and low priced.

Back