Debut albums - your favorites

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Oh boy...I don't know if QQ has a thread like this, but I love the idea of it. This comes down to taste a lot and of course what you perceive as the ultimate debut album. No way I can think of them all and in some cases an album might be my favorite and I don't immediately realize it's their debut.

A couple come to mind for me....

Led Zeppelin - WOW!!!! What a stunner of an album that was...and still is.
Black Sabbath - again....considering the genre...I still LOVE, LOVE this album and it's simply powerful I think.
Van Halen - Van Halen Wow, wow!
Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Oz...are you kidding me? I think I ran off the road when I first heard this one....

I realize I focused on hard rock...but that's my comfort zone.

What you all think are your favorite debut albums?

Ambrosia, The Doors, In The Court of the Crimson, Grace - Jeff Buckley, Toy Matinee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimi Hendrix-Are you experienced....first time I heard Purple Haze I lost my mind...Foxey Lady and Hey Joe...killer songs..

Heart-Dreamboat Annie-magic man still haunts me...and crazy on you...great songs

Boston-more than a feelling...foreplay/long time...whoa...lots of emotional baggage with these songs

Led Zep-Dazed and Confused..enough said

Doors- a taste of what was to come..of course Light My Fire was awesome

King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
Crosby, Stills, and Nash
Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination
Jackson Browne
Judee Sill - very unknown, but great songwriter!

Not officially a debut for Fleetwood Mac, but for the current lineup their 'white album' which is out in DD surround is pretty darn good!

In no particular order King Crimson, ELP, The Cars, Steely Dan, Sade, Amy Winehouse (Frank), Leo Kottke (6 &12 String Guitar), Return To Forever (both the first acoustic S/T, and electric Hymn of the 7th Galaxy). Many more of course but these were not only the first to come to mind, but ones I wore out.

In no particular order King Crimson, ELP, The Cars, Steely Dan, Sade, Amy Winehouse (Frank), Leo Kottke (6 &12 String Guitar), Return To Forever (both the first acoustic S/T, and electric Hymn of their 7th Galaxy). Many more of course but these were not only the first to come to mind, but ones I wore out.

The Cars debut.....of course. A monumental achievement.

Another of my favorite albums - but maybe not to others... Piper At The Gates Of Dawn - Pink Floyd. I still play this one often and it caters to that weird place in my brain that loves this oddball, childlike, psychedelic masterpiece.

A few more:

Big Star - Number #1 Record
Elvis Costello - My Aim is True
Nas - Illmatic (my son's favorite!)
The Band - Music from the Big Pink
The Ramones

Nice choices. Here are a few more:

Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill
The Beatles - Please Please Me
Chicago - Chicago Transit Authority
Dire Straights - Dire Straights
Fleetwood Mac (McVies, Fleetwood, Buckinham, Nicks version) Fleetwood Mac
Moody Blues (Hayward/Lodge version) Days of Future Past
Santana - Santana

The list goes on and on and on...Oh what a wonderful world!

(Edit: Eventually I'll learn how to spell Dire Straits)

Nice choices. Here are a few more:

Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill
The Beatles - Please Please Me
Chicago - Chicago Transit Authority
Dire Straights - Dire Straights
Fleetwood Mac (McVies, Fleetwood, Buckinham, Nicks version) Fleetwood Mac
Moody Blues (Hayward/Lodge version) Days of Future Past
Santana - Santana

The list goes on and on and on...Oh what a wonderful world!

Yeah, Moody Blues debut has been a huge part of my musical journey. Still love it....so different.

Besides "Get The Knack", I have to agree with:
Boston
The Cars
Dire Straits
Ambrosia
Toy Matinee

And I'd also add Foreigner and - if you haven't heard this, you must - Brent Bourgeois.

Coming in 5.1 surround this Friday:
71MZ4fhaSkL._SL1200_.jpg

:)

I agree with many of the posts here, but to my mind (and the public's - it's the best-selling debut ever), I'd vote Guns n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction.

Fun fact - there were some plans to release their follow up double-double album in surround, but that didn't materialize, no doubt partially due to lack of a format to put it on.

Back