Deep Bass in Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, speaking of organ music, here's a great disc that I first heard of in this post by Lute: Holst's The Planets, transcribed for and performed on not one but two pipe organs (played from a single console). Put it on, crank it up, and be instantly transported to the space where these magnificent instruments live. An excellent presentation with plenty of wonderful deep bass.

Last edited:
Nah, deep bass is actually not that difficult in a car. Everything with a wavelength longer than the interior dimensions simply pressurizes the entire space more or less simultaneously. In a typical car, at frequencies below, say, 80 Hz, you can take a measurement mic and move it all around, and get a pretty uniform reading at a given frequency. This is also the cause of the "cabin gain" effect, where the bass response actually rises at theoretically 12 dB/oct below this pressurization frequency. I say "theoretically" because there are many factors that will interfere with this 12 dB slope, but for the most part, you do get substantial acoustic gain.

My main problem is tracking down all the shit that starts rattling, heh. It can take some real head-scratching to deal with some of that. I know that automotive engineers these days do spend time trying to minimize this stuff, but they only have to worry about the factory audio system - 16 Hz is out of their jurisdiction. :)

Last edited:
My main problem is tracking down all the shit that starts rattling, heh. It can take some real head-scratching to deal with some of that. I know that automotive engineers these days do spend time trying to minimize this stuff, but they only have to worry about the factory audio system - 16 Hz is out of their jurisdiction. :)

Yes, from a hifi perspective, pressurising a given volume of air at 16 cycles a second isn't the problem its the fact that every time you force the pressure wave to be 'folded over' in a sub-wavelength size space the more resonant modes you excite. By the time you've confined a 16Hz wave into a car that's a lot of folding!

Nah, deep bass is actually not that difficult in a car. Everything with a wavelength longer than the interior dimensions simply pressurizes the entire space more or less simultaneously. In a typical car, at frequencies below, say, 80 Hz, you can take a measurement mic and move it all around, and get a pretty uniform reading at a given frequency. This is also the cause of the "cabin gain" effect, where the bass response actually rises at theoretically 12 dB/oct below this pressurization frequency. I say "theoretically" because there are many factors that will interfere with this 12 dB slope, but for the most part, you do get substantial acoustic gain.

Driving with improperly inflated tires (that the majority of people do) over uneven surfaces (that most people do) doesn't cause vibration in a vehicle?

I would think the sound system is the least of a cars worries when it comes to vibration.

or maybe I'm totally wrong, which usually goes either way with me lol

No, you're not wrong. It's just that lots of bass seems to set some things off in a way that bumps in the road don't. In my car right now for example, it's the little buttons in the doors that run the windows up & down. Trying to make them stop rattling, without just ripping them out with a pair of Channellocks, is proving a bit of a challenge. :mad:

I used to have a pair of Yamaha 15" two-way PA speakers that I used as subs at one point. It was interesting, and somewhat deep, but nothing like what I have now. My in-room bottom-end response is pretty close to -3dB @ 7Hz, in my very tiny theater room. Smaller rooms mean better room gain.

A lot of songs and albums mentioned in here so far have a lot of 40hz and up bass, in prodigious amounts, but almost nothing has really deep bass. I would submit that almost nothing available has consistently solid deep bass. In most instances, even the most powerful bass albums use the uber-extension as an effect. I would love to see an album use really deep bass as a constant instead of as an effect. :smokin :SB

Have you experienced bass Communion Pacific Codex? <iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe> I postedsted a link to the first part, here is Pacific Codex 2 from the same dvd-a

Last edited:
...A lot of songs and albums mentioned in here so far have a lot of 40hz and up bass, in prodigious amounts, but almost nothing has really deep bass. I would submit that almost nothing available has consistently solid deep bass. In most instances, even the most powerful bass albums use the uber-extension as an effect. I would love to see an album use really deep bass as a constant instead of as an effect...

True. To be honest, the most satisfying "real" (i.e. musical) deep bass for me tends to be classical (concert bass drum) or organ recordings. Of course it helps that I really like organ music; I know it's not everyone's cup o' tea.

True. To be honest, the most satisfying "real" (i.e. musical) deep bass for me tends to be classical (concert bass drum) or organ recordings. Of course it helps that I really like organ music; I know it's not everyone's cup o' tea.

How come I didn't notice this thread before ? As it turns out, I am a bit a of bass head/nut, like some of you folks. :SB

To me, decent bass is an important element of musical enjoyment. For classical music, I agree, it typically tends to be either bass drum or pipe organ based recordings. My favorites are typically those that include both :p, though well recorded ones are sparse and as such am always on the lookout for these. I am curious to read/hear about what our members favorite classical recordings with deep bass are.

As for rock/metal :
Here are two that I recently heard:
Metallica - Through the Never in Atmos . There are some LFE sound effects such as in the track "One"
RPWL - A new dawn- Atmos - This also has some LFE sound effects that are in the 15- 30 Hz range.

There's almost nothing with super deep bass. Hans Zimmer - Live in Prague, Blue Man Group - Audio, Flaming Lips - Yoshimi.

Last edited:
Tell us all about your subs you built.
What amp are you driving them with?
My reference pipe organ cd- Michael Murray at Davies Symphony Hall on the Telarc label, use the Messiaen piece turned up to 100db peaks if your subs will be able to play it without bottoming out, very few can. The last 1 1/2 minutes is just brutal. I have bottomed out more sub drivers with this song than any others, even ripped the spiders off an 18" Maelstrom big boy woofer( I kinda looked over at the guy who was showing me how great it was and said, "sorry" like Belushi did in Animal House after he smashed the guitar).

Last edited:
Back