Definitive formats for all Titles ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Allman Brothers Band ‎– At Fillmore East: The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings
3 × Blu-ray, Blu-ray Audio, Stereo, Multichannel

https://www.discogs.com/The-Allman-...1971-Fillmore-East-Recordings/release/6054647
Exactly what I'm wondering which of this titles releases would be the best to buy for Audio ? not a Sacd vs dvd-a vs Blu-Ray issue here at all just experienced members with a large collection to help others choose the Definitive release. I don't own this and some members may have all starting from the 97 DTS release. What sounds better, easy question without adding speakers, and other technical variables or babble blah blah blah.

Exactly what I'm wondering which of this titles releases would be the best to buy for Audio ? not a Sacd vs dvd-a vs Blu-Ray issue here at all just experienced members with a large collection to help others choose the Definitive release. I don't own this and some members may have all starting from the 97 DTS release. What sounds better, easy question without adding speakers, and other technical variables or babble blah blah blah.

In the case of this title, all three releases are entirely different surround mixes. My favorite of the three is the DTS-CD, which contains the original quad mix. The quad mix is very discrete with the guitars isolated in the rear channels. The SACD (5.1 mix by Jeff Glixman) and Blu-Ray (5.1 mix by Kevin Reeves) are more typical concert hall/ambient surround.

This is what I've wanted to do, is to have a list of preferred or the definitive one of those available.
Well so far 2 titles for a list....
Deep Purple Machine Head the EMI Sacd with the original quad and....
Allman Brothers Fillmore East 1997 DTS CD with the original quad. This has had 4 MCH releases and I just bought it for a fair price like new condition thanks to sjcorne recommendation.

Hit the number of 420 .......don't know if I should call it good now or try for 666.

Allman Brothers Fillmore East 1997 DTS CD with the original quad. This has had 4 MCH releases and I just bought it for a fair price like new condition thanks to sjcorne recommendation.

Not necessarily definitive, just my opinion - I'm sure others will chime in and disagree :)

The best one , and being royalty free is DVD-As (and backward compatibility).
If your system is analog-based, getting (and preserving) a nice DVD-A player is a nightmare.

Blu-ray players with mch analog outputs are old technology too but newer, so directionally less prone to failure (and have higher availability at ebay).

I wonder if AVCHD is royalty-free. If so, that would be my definitive formal.

Next weekend I will replace the laser assemblies of my current Marantz 7001 and of my given-up-for-dead Marantz 7600. I hope to have at least one of them playing both SACD and DVD-A without any issues.

I love bluray but prefer anything else because I only have one bluray player with analogue out (OPPO). I have several dvd-audio/sacd players with analogue out so I'm not worried about playing that software in the future. The chance of getting another analogue OPPO bluray is between slim and none. I'm going to have to digitze all of my blurays to a flash drive for the day when my OPPO stops spinning (96/24 surround works great through the OPPO flash drive input). Hopefully I'll never come to the day when I have to let my analogue system bite the dust. I think others share my opinion on analogue out which is why you see the last of OPPO analogue bluerays going for thousands.

Back