HiRez Poll Depeche Mode - SPEAK & SPELL [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Depeche Mode - SPEAK AND SPELL

• Total voters
Yeah, haven't found that one in a sane price range. But also haven't looked in a while. Musically, I begin to sync with them on the 3rd record, mostly.

Mike, check out AmazonUS with this link. They supposedly have three used [the SACD] from $28.83 + s/h

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=4046

When ordering, I would ask the vendor if it is indeed the SACD, as advertised, or specify CANCEL.

41p430JcC7L.jpg

Addenda: Mike, just checked the AmazonUS website. The cheap used version is available from Germany's MOMOX which Clint Eastwood just had a nightmare scenario with when they shipped him the wrong item and he went through quite a rigamarole getting a refund.

There is one available LIKE NEW and it is the genuine SACD [from vendor Audiophile Treasure] but it's pricey @ $70 + s/h.

Addenda: Mike, just checked the AmazonUS website. The cheap used version is available from Germany's MOMOX which Clint Eastwood just had a nightmare scenario with when they shipped him the wrong item and he went through quite a rigamarole getting a refund.

There is one available LIKE NEW and it is the genuine SACD [from vendor Audiophile Treasure] but it's pricey @ $70 + s/h.
I just opted for the DTS version. $10 on ebay. I just can't do $70 per album! All my DM are DTS only, up to Playing the Angel. I know I don't have 101. Is it even that good? I also might not have Spirit. Not even sure it was issued in MC! Anyone know?
Sorry for the OT, but at least we're discussing DM...

I just opted for the DTS version. $10 on ebay. I just can't do $70 per album! All my DM are DTS only, up to Playing the Angel. I know I don't have 101. Is it even that good? I also might not have Spirit. Not even sure it was issued in MC! Anyone know?

You won't be disappointed. RHINO did a great job with the domestic DTS 5.1 versions. And for 10 bucks..........

Wish RHINO would reissue all these DP 5.1s as a BD~A boxset!

BTW, Mike, GREAT deal on scoring that fantastic Björk 8 dualdisc 5.1 boxset for $50!

Last edited:

Mike, a listing of ALL the Depeche Modes remastered for 5.1 [2 pages]: https://www.hraudio.net/search.php?format=0&keywords=depeche+mode

Spirit was NOT!

A lackluster surround mix imo. After Universe the surround quality starts to drop off.

yeah, the 8 SACD's were all done at the same time by the same team (there's a great article somewhere online that describes the whole process) and I think after that DM used different mixers for subsequent surround mixes (or I could be wrong).

I voted 9. I love this techno, synth sound with the catchy lyrics and melodies. This ain't no disco. My only dislike is vocals where off center, to the left. Lead vocals (track to track they change) and chorus vocals would are front left and rear right, diagonal. Artistic preference of course, just not what I would do. Lots to listen to on this release which makes it fun.

71Vk-jVMRXL._SX522_.jpg

Back