Disaster

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leevitalone1

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
My effing roof leaked last night, and water dripping in my AVR.:eek::oops: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!! I took it down, took off the cover and it's been all night with the fan on it. We caught it early, I don't know how long it was doing it. Man, my rip off insurance told me to eat shit it seems I had a claim 10 phucking yrs ago- so well and shit. I'm going to leave it under the fan all week, Man shit happens but it's me. I got the worst luck of most.💩
any suggestions? well it's really no great loss I guess if it shits the bed. Only paid 100 bucks new-old-stock, but it 'was" new! Pissed off? ya big time!! cusser roof!- cusserr house! I'm ready to call it. 29 yrs doing rentals, enough is enough! and I didn't even day furck!!! aaarrrgghhh!!!:mad:

My mate had a lightning strike outside on the cable TV cable about a year ago. Everything connected to his STB got fried: AVR, TV, media player, hard drive connected to his media player.

The cable TV company replaced the STB but his insurance company wouldn’t pay for anything.

I had a old AVR I gave him plus a old media player. He bought a second hand TV and new hard drive. So didn’t cost him to much (he’s retired with no income so it still hurt)

My mate had a lightning strike outside on the cable TV cable about a year ago. Everything connected to his STB got fried: AVR, TV, media player, hard drive connected to his media player.

The cable TV company replaced the STB but his insurance company wouldn’t pay for anything.

I had a old AVR I gave him plus a old media player. He bought a second hand TV and new hard drive. So didn’t cost him to much (he’s retired with no income so it still hurt)

Unfortunately, Homer, unless you put ALL your equipment and valuables on separate riders, the insurance companies will not pay for the lost/damaged items and as we all know in addition to property taxes, insurance for one's home/property is exorbitant enough.

I hear you as we live in the land of rain water and my roof leaked this winter as well, not onto any of my audio gear so very thankful for that.
Today just happens to be day one of about a 1 month project of getting our house hopefully water proofed for next few years.
I don't know how they do all those house projects on HGTV for the money they do in USA as I'm already at bit over 6 figures and thats just new roof,new deck's,gutters,new paint job for outside, not even anything inside yet which will be next years project if we can afford anything more.

Not trying to derail your thread but either owning or renting there are always some big costs that can come a person's way.

Sorry man, that totally does suck. Ugh....

Sometimes it seems bad luck follows some of us.....chin up and carry on. Things will work out. :)
ya my fridge went out last week, I got into an accident a drunk hit me, now I got an oil change and it leaks oil, now this. And I got the feeling money is coming my way?? The last time I hit an even100k I am a good guy? Ya! pay me!! 😢

Ya you can't stop lightening I usually run home and unhook all the outside cables like my DirecTV lines fearing just what you experienced. As for homeowners Ins. What a gaff rip off it is! I had one stinking claim 10 yrs ago, and now I find they booted me and I'm only covered for fire.

My effing roof leaked last night, and water dripping in my AVR.:eek::oops: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!! I took it down, took off the cover and it's been all night with the fan on it. We caught it early, I don't know how long it was doing it. Man, my rip off insurance told me to eat shit it seems I had a claim 10 phucking yrs ago- so well and shit. I'm going to leave it under the fan all week, Man shit happens but it's me. I got the worst luck of most.💩
any suggestions? well it's really no great loss I guess if it shits the bed. Only paid 100 bucks new-old-stock, but it 'was" new! Pissed off? ya big time!! cusser roof!- cusserr house! I'm ready to call it. 29 yrs doing rentals, enough is enough! and I didn't even day furck!!! aaarrrgghhh!!!:mad:

If it was powered off when it got wet...
Clean the circuit boards with isopropyl. That will help make sure no corrosion starts. (Helps get moisture out from under components and in crevasses.)
Power back up when completely dry. Should be zero damage.

If it was powered on...
Well, it's off now due to the components that became shorted out and blown up!
Maybe only the power supply took the hit? Maybe there's a fuse?
Clean it up. Again with isopropyl. Then assess the damage.

Ya you can't stop lightening I usually run home and unhook all the outside cables

In my new place I’ve got either backup batteries (UPS) with lighting protection on powered and Ethernet cables entering the room or power boards with lightning protection on Power, ethernet and TV cables entering the room.

The two UPS are for my two NAS (one in office and one in my network hub for security cameras), the two power boards are in each listening room to protect AVRs, TVs and media players.

Holy Shite! She is ALIVE!!! Dried it for all that time, it worked. I think we caught it early enough where the water didn't get into the power supply. OK on to the next one. My 1st 5.1 avr ran me $800.00 and was good for about 10 yrs before the center went out. I have been through a few, used all of them, and now this guy that was new. I won't piss away big bucks again, always look for deals like this guy was. (new old stock)
yahoo! :smokin

Holy Shite! She is ALIVE!!! Dried it for all that time, it worked. I think we caught it early enough where the water didn't get into the power supply. OK on to the next one. My 1st 5.1 avr ran me $800.00 and was good for about 10 yrs before the center went out. I have been through a few, used all of them, and now this guy that was new. I won't piss away big bucks again, always look for deals like this guy was. (new old stock)
yahoo! :smokin

I SO LOVE HAPPY ENDINGS!🌈

20+ years ago I had a power surge that wiped out all kinds of stuff. Happened when I was at work, so when I came home I was freaking out because half the stuff in the house worked and half didn't. At first I just thought it was a circuit breaker or something, but then I realized that it wasn't specific to any electrical outlet but rather to devices.

Anyway, my insurance experience was really odd: They cheerfully paid for anything I replaced but would not pay for anything I only had repaired (which was most of the stuff--fading memory says the power supplies fried but nothing further downstream got harmed). I had a bunch of cheap Radio Shack surge suppressors, but apparently they were designed to fail closed, which is utterly moronic. I replaced them all with much more expensive Panamaxes. I told the insurance company about them and that they were much more expensive than what they replaced and they still paid for them.

To this day it doesn't make any sense to me. But then, neither did the cause: I lived in a mobile home park at the time and this happened while they were in the middle of replacing all the underground electrical cabling. They spent tens of thousands of dollars to do that, but kept everything at the low amperage it started at, so we still couldn't have AC or electric dryers. And, of course, they denied that anything they had done had caused the surge.

Back