DIY. Making your own flat panel speakers new old concept & cheap....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no f ing way! That is cool as shit. Of course no way to really judge the sound quality of these things but the fact that you can just glue speaker actuators/ transducers to the back of an acoustic ceiling tile and it plays is amazing. I really want to try this, imagine the Atmos or auro 3D application possibilities here... Wow thanks for sharing this !!

Last edited:
I had a lecturer make a rough flat panel using some kind of cheap art board (the name of which escapes me) as a demonstration, he used the golden ratio to find a placement for the single cheap driver and it sounded pretty good.

Somewhere I have an old (60's?) product called a Conwed Audio Transducer. On the box it advertises "Walls, ceilings, furniture become speakers!". Very inefficient but I suppose with the right material it would be better.

Pretty cool. The concept (and implementation) has been around for a while. I used to see ads for transducers (to make a speaker out of almost anything!!), but for the life of me can't remember who right now.
To tell the truth it's something I had about totally forgotten until reading this today.
Maybe I'll make my big recliner into a sub!

I've still got 4 transducers from a company called "Invisible Sound" sitting in the garage that I will never use. I use to install them in new homes for the 10 WAF rating they have. Sound quality is marginal when you are turning drywall into a speaker.

Pretty cool. The concept (and implementation) has been around for a while. I used to see ads for transducers (to make a speaker out of almost anything!!), but for the life of me can't remember who right now.
To tell the truth it's something I had about totally forgotten until reading this today.
Maybe I'll make my big recliner into a sub!

Just buy a "Buttkicker" through Parts Express, they have been selling those for many years.

I've still got 4 transducers from a company called "Invisible Sound" sitting in the garage that I will never use. I use to install them in new homes for the 10 WAF rating they have. Sound quality is marginal when you are turning drywall into a speaker.

Interesting hobie, did you ever try mounting them on those acoustic drop ceiling tiles? Or anything else? It seems according to this guy they work best on a hanging light weight surface.

Back