Dolby Atmos Music on Blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its been a year since this one came out! One of the very first live concert Atmos releases!

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Imagine-Dragons-Smoke-and-Mirrors-Live-Blu-ray/152826/#Review

Do you know how the surround mix is - discrete? Maybe it is??

I feel that it could be as bad as the Mumford & Sons - Live from South Africa. Just makes me sad, lossless soundtrack in 7.1.4 and they use only the front channels.

The RPWL Atmos disc is very nice - active use of all channels.

Was happy to see the Michael Schenker Atmos blu ray, but then I read that they put some microphones toward the ceiling?? I don't want that - I want discrete sounds from above, or use the height channels to lift some of the instruments higher than others - more separation = profit! When I see a concert at home, listening on my system, I don't want to feel that I am there, I have been there many times and the sound quality always suck.

I want more - I want them to use the tools that they have, to give me an experience that is much better than the real thing.

Do you know how the surround mix is - discrete? Maybe it is??

I feel that it could be as bad as the Mumford & Sons - Live from South Africa. Just makes me sad, lossless soundtrack in 7.1.4 and they use only the front channels.

The RPWL Atmos disc is very nice - active use of all channels.

Was happy to see the Michael Schenker Atmos blu ray, but then I read that they put some microphones toward the ceiling?? I don't want that - I want discrete sounds from above, or use the height channels to lift some of the instruments higher than others - more separation = profit! When I see a concert at home, listening on my system, I don't want to feel that I am there, I have been there many times and the sound quality always suck.

I want more - I want them to use the tools that they have, to give me an experience that is much better than the real thing.

Not sure about the mix. Not a big fan of the band. Reviews sound positive http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Imagine-Dragons-Smoke-and-Mirrors-Live-Blu-ray/152826/#Review

The only Atmos soundtrack i prefer for a live performance is Roger Waters. I should try some of the other ones soon hopefully. But really disappointed with DG Live at Pompeii & Beatles Sgt Pepper not getting Atmos on blu-ray. They were mixed for it, hopefully there is a 4k with atmos in the pipeline!!!

Not sure about the mix. Not a big fan of the band. Reviews sound positive http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Imagine-Dragons-Smoke-and-Mirrors-Live-Blu-ray/152826/#Review

The only Atmos soundtrack i prefer for a live performance is Roger Waters. I should try some of the other ones soon hopefully. But really disappointed with DG Live at Pompeii & Beatles Sgt Pepper not getting Atmos on blu-ray. They were mixed for it, hopefully there is a 4k with atmos in the pipeline!!!

Let us know what you think of the Metallica disc as compared to the standard blu-ray. I've been considering getting it if the mix is good.

Atmos mix of Booka Shade's album Galvany Street was released on Pure Audio Blu-ray on October 27th. Unfortunately, available only as a part of a (rather expensive) limited edition box set.
BookaShade_Box.jpg

Last edited:
For sure not all movies come with Atmos, but there are more and more coming - for now, I hope it continuous.

But another nice thing about having a Atmos setup - is that the Atmos receivers have dsp's (DSU & Neural:X etc.) that engage/upmixes to the Atmos speakers - from 2.0, 4.0 or 5.1 to 7.1.4 or whatever your source/setup is. The same way that you use DPLII with stereo music to create 5.1 surround. And it works really great - I use it all the time - with both music and movies.

When you engage DSS in any format, it changes lossless to lossy.

Please excuse my ignorance an/or laziness, but...Dolby...ATMOS?....who has a setup like that? Not even the movie theaters are ATMOS!!...I'm guessing and hoping that it's backwards compatible with 5.1 or 5.0...

Could anyone enlighten me?

Last edited:
Please excuse my ignorance an/or laziness, but...Dolby...ATMOS?....who has a setup like that? Not even the movie theaters are ATMOS!!...I'm guessing and hoping that i's backwards compatible with 5.1 or 5.0...

I am watching Roger Waters The Wall on Blu Ray now. Two choices, PCM stereo and Dolby Atmos surround. Sounds fantastic of course, my McIntosh MX122 reads it as Dolby HD, 48Khz. I don’t have Atmos so just listening in a 5.1 configuration.

When you engage DSS in any format, it changes lossless to lossy.

I thought this was lossless but not necessarily at > 48kHz sample rate (some may say a 96kHz to 48kHz resample will lose some high frequency info but that doesn't make it lossy to me as all the data under 20KHz remains). To me lossy is discarding info in the normal human hearing frequency range aka mp3, Dolby Ditital, DTS core etc).

I am watching Roger Waters The Wall on Blu Ray now. Two choices, PCM stereo and Dolby Atmos surround. Sounds fantastic of course, my McIntosh MX122 reads it as Dolby HD, 48Khz. I don’t have Atmos so just listening in a 5.1 configuration.

I've got an Atmos/DTS:X AVR but I only have a 7.1 configuration (actually 7.2 as I have two subs). I usually run 5.1 to 7.1 with DTS:X Neural upmix mode but switch that off for quads as I have 4 full range speakers in the corners (I have two rear Dipoles at ceiling level to give me 7).

Soooo, it's "sort of" compatible...or compatible with 5.1???:confused:
Don't know the exact answer your looking for Kap, but 100% compatible with my McIntosh MX122. Of course I have know idea about receivers I don't own.
I choose Atmos on the menu, and all speakers 5 and 1 sub work perfect. I assume when the upcoming release INXS Kick, will be the same.

I thought this was lossless but not necessarily at > 48kHz sample rate (some may say a 96kHz to 48kHz resample will lose some high frequency info but that doesn't make it lossy to me as all the data under 20KHz remains). To me lossy is discarding info in the normal human hearing frequency range aka mp3, Dolby Ditital, DTS core etc).

DSP is a lossy product. the sound fields are all done in the digital realm, lossless needs no DSP. It is either 5.1 or stereo.
My 1st multi-channel AVR an Integra had 5.1 analog in ports. It did not allow use of the ports with DSP. The new AVR with HDMI bypasses that and will allow DSP use but, it effectively shuts off the audio that is straight to the amps, re-directs it through the digital sound fields.

Please excuse my ignorance an/or laziness, but...Dolby...ATMOS?....who has a setup like that? Not even the movie theaters are ATMOS!!...I'm guessing and hoping that it's backwards compatible with 5.1 or 5.0...

Yes it is compatible with standard 5.1 and yes , many theaters have Atmos, at least in the USA.

DSP is a lossy product. the sound fields are all done in the digital realm, lossless needs no DSP. It is either 5.1 or stereo.
My 1st multi-channel AVR an Integra had 5.1 analog in ports. It did not allow use of the ports with DSP. The new AVR with HDMI bypasses that and will allow DSP use but, it effectively shuts off the audio that is straight to the amps, re-directs it through the digital sound fields.

DSP per say isn't lossy, a particular algorithm may be, and it depends on the effective bit depth of the DSP processing.

I don't like using DSP modes as does degrade the sound quality, I think that that is down to the bit depth used in the calculations. It doesn't take many MAC instructions to reach the limit of a lot of fixed bit length DSPs, so you start to truncate the data, and that can have a cumulative effect. So it loses data, but not as much as the Lossy Audio systems, I still don't like the sound from the DSP modes though!

The vast majority of AVRs don't have ADCs in them as it would push the cost up, especially good ADCs, hence no DSP functions for analogue inputs.

What we call Lossy audio processing systems reduce the overall data rate by removing low level signals by inspecting the frequency domain, in theory removing those way down in the mix, so allegedly having no 'effect'. DTS does seem to be way better than DD to me.

By decimating and digitally filtering a 96kHz sample rate signal to a 48kHz sample rate signal you can increase bit resolution. Not by much as its only a halving of the sample rate. Its how the single bit sampling DSD works, along with Noise-shaping, where we get to about 20-bits from standard DSD.

Yes it is compatible with standard 5.1 and yes , many theaters have Atmos, at least in the USA.

I'm assuming the height channels are combined with the rear surrounds when listening to Atmos encoded material on a 5.1 system. Is this correct?

I'm assuming the height channels are combined with the rear surrounds when listening to Atmos encoded material on a 5.1 system. Is this correct?

no

here is what the stream looks like off the disc to your receiver:

atmos (7.2.4) --> 7.1 --> 5.1

Its your receiver that decides what to play, ie what your receiver is capable of

if your receiver is capable of atmos it will play atmos

if your receiver is capable of 7.1 it will play 7.1

if your receiver is capable of 5.1 it will play 5.1

there is no mixing of channels

I think lol

Back