Dolby Atmos Music on Blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw The Moody Blues in Concert and they had the local Symphony as the "back up" orchestra.

I think there were a total of 30 performers on stage that night.

the only way to truly capture and recreate that experience would be to mic every performer and then use an atmos mix to discretely output every performer to a single speaker in a 30 speaker array (which could be done in a movie theater and will be available in the home in the future)

Anything less would be a downmix.

You would not be able to hear that sound waves are spreading out into the sound field, it is only your eyes want to see 30 speakers your ears are different, then a composer writing the partiture for the orchestra he is not writing completely different notes for every performer, it is based on sound perception, not on visual appearances of the sources.

In theory, Atmos offers better opportunity to use things like height channels as part of the musical experience and go beyond just surround in musical presentation. A Number of classical labels already use height channels; for instance, MDG records most everything they do in a 2+2+2 setup, which is essentially quad + 2 height channels, encoded using the 6 SACD channels (there are over 100 such releases from them). Others like 2L have released music in 9.1, using height channels as part of the presentation of the surround experience. Atmos is most commonly thought of as 7.1.4, but as I understand it the format is object based and not limited to one such format - the idea of Atmos is that it offers maximum flexibility to the surround author for whatever sort of esoteric speaker layout they prefer to engineer for.

I have 7.1, but I think for classical it offers diminishing returns compared to 5.1. Height channels do offer the possibility of a more immersive experience, but I haven't had a chance to try them out and frankly don't seriously intend to.

Do you understand what you wrote, because I don't, you just playing with words, numbers, and configurations. Tell me what you hear or want to hear that is all that matters.

It doesn't do it in a movie so it would be no different for music because a movie is no different than music, it's all just sound.

A movie is all just sound that happens to correspond to a visual, with music the visual is still there, it's just not displayed when playing the album.

atmos is no different than the evolution from stereo to 5.1

If you can agree that the leap from stereo to 5.1 was a game changer, then the leap from 7.1 to atmos is the same kind of game changer, you're simply adding more speakers to accommodate more discrete sounds

Atmos isn't complicated, it's just more speakers added to 7.1 just like 5.1 was just more speakers added to stereo

in the simplest sense, atmos is just a new name for the format Dolby TrueHD 9.1

Movies are a completely different ball game, First of all, in movies music always stereo, if Skywalker Sound of Universal Studios one day will give me a part-time job as a film mixer I would probably change that, but not now. 3 main elements in movie mixing: main center image, location sound, and sound effects. Here Atmos is making sense to provide a universal distribution of channels for any type of configuration. But in music, you need discrete sound sources to balance the overall mix and 7 channels are more than enough as reference points.

Have you even listened to Kraftwerk's 3D The Catalog 123456789 in atmos?

If you have there is no way you can tell me that it would sound the same or "just as good" in stereo.

Great, so my question will be what is 3D sound for you in music? how you describe it in your perception?

Reading your other posts your mind is made up and I have better things to do than change it. Use your imagination or listen to the 3D version of Kraftwerk.

I can imagine a new 3D mix of The Wall with copters flying over head and surround effects flying everywhere. Or a Dark Side of the Moon with the clocks and cash registers going nuts everywhere.

What I don't want is Keith Moon's drum kit in one over head channel like his kit in one rear channel on the newest Tommy release. Some music can benefit greatly with the additional axis of speakers, other stuff, not much. Your original post appeared as a question and when others took the time to answer it you were inconsiderate. If you are looking for people to think like you find another place.

Reading your other posts your mind is made up and I have better things to do than change it. Use your imagination or listen to the 3D version of Kraftwerk.

I can imagine a new 3D mix of The Wall with copters flying overhead and surround effects flying everywhere. Or a Dark Side of the Moon with the clocks and cash registers going nuts everywhere.

What I don't want is Keith Moon's drum kit in one overhead channel like this kit in one rear channel on the newest Tommy release. Some music can benefit greatly with the additional axis of speakers, other stuff, not much. Your original post appeared as a question and when others took the time to answer it you were inconsiderate.

I was working on Pink Floyd mixes, here your 3D perception is absolutely correct. Keep posting, your years can only distinguish a difference.

Need to try it, not sure if they can achieve enough channel separation for surround sound reception. I am actually wanted to develop my own headphones with my friends in China with Shenzhen YC Electronic Technology Co. Ltd, but stock up with the same issue, I will back to that later, thanks for the article.

i haven't had any chance to listen to Dolby Atmos only music discs, however recently tried the ROGER WATERS - THE WALL LIVE Bluray Video on Atmos. It was a really amazing experience, especially with the helicopters and planes flying over your head. I highly recommend this disc for the utmost Atmos experience.
I second your recommendation. (y)

Hello, does anybody have Blade Runner 2049 in 4K? I have read on the back of the Blu-ray that it is Atmos encoded and Auro site claims it has Auro. I'd like to confirm before buying. Thanks!

Hello, does anybody have Blade Runner 2049 in 4K? I have read on the back of the Blu-ray that it is Atmos encoded and Auro site claims it has Auro. I'd like to confirm before buying. Thanks!

The UK version has Atmos. Its quite possible (some) releases have both Auro and Atmos, much like blu-rays that have both DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD tracks. If your after Atmos then its there.

Read the review @ blu~ray.com: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Blade-Runner-2049-4K-Blu-ray/189774/#Review

A more thorough assessment of the Dolby Atmos Soundtrack identical to the 4K version: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Blade-Runner-2049-Blu-ray/189833/#Review

If you have a 3D set~up [2D BD~V, included], this Dolby Atmos film's a real hoot: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/San-Andreas-3D-Blu-ray/132857/

Last edited:
I don't think there is a bluray 4K with Auro!

Blade Runner 2049

Available on Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D.

"Blade Runner 2049" in selected countries on Blu-ray Disc with Auro-3D 11.1

Released in following territories:
Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech, Egypt, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, India, Iran, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Pakistan, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, S. Africa, Turkey, UAE

Back