Dolby Atmos Music on Blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
I'm wondering what might have been mixed discretely in Atmos (or DTS-X or Auro 3D) that might drive me to set up height channels and a handful of object channels?

Dark Side Of The Moon is what directly led me to surround sound to begin with. I liked avant garde music to begin with. The motion possible with stereo spoke to me right away. As soon as I heard you could do that with more speakers around the room and saw the quad version of DSOTM calling out to me, that was it. The 5.1 remix of King Crimson Thrak would be a more modern example of something that absolutely requires surround to hear (just as "all or nothing" as DSOTM IMHO) and would lure me into a 5.1 setup if I hadn't yet done it.

So I wonder if there's a mix in 3D surround that might make me hungry to set up more speakers and get the software codecs and such up to speed to losslessly decode the formats?
I have zero interest if something originally 5.1 is merely adapted or upmixed to such a system. Not interested in movie soundtracks. Is there a wild ride of a mix that is truly discrete and really works a 3D system? And truly requires a 3D system to hear at all properly? Not just ambience work but real wildness! I need something to motivate me here.

I'm wondering what might have been mixed discretely in Atmos (or DTS-X or Auro 3D) that might drive me to set up height channels and a handful of object channels?

Dark Side Of The Moon is what directly led me to surround sound to begin with. I liked avant garde music to begin with. The motion possible with stereo spoke to me right away. As soon as I heard you could do that with more speakers around the room and saw the quad version of DSOTM calling out to me, that was it. The 5.1 remix of King Crimson Thrak would be a more modern example of something that absolutely requires surround to hear (just as "all or nothing" as DSOTM IMHO) and would lure me into a 5.1 setup if I hadn't yet done it.

So I wonder if there's a mix in 3D surround that might make me hungry to set up more speakers and get the software codecs and such up to speed to losslessly decode the formats?
I have zero interest if something originally 5.1 is merely adapted or upmixed to such a system. Not interested in movie soundtracks. Is there a wild ride of a mix that is truly discrete and really works a 3D system? And truly requires a 3D system to hear at all properly? Not just ambience work but real wildness! I need something to motivate me here.
There are very good Atmos/Auro mixes over there, but there's none that meets your requirement (being as wild and groundbreaking as DSOTM).
Two mixes stand out over the rest: REM's Automatic for the People and Mando Diao's Aelita. Nice complementary use of the heights and some discreet isolate elements, but nothing comparable to the wow effect that you get when switching from stereo to quad. Just in my humble opinion, of course.

There are very good Atmos/Auro mixes over there, but there's none that meets your requirement (being as wild and groundbreaking as DSOTM).
Two mixes stand out over the rest: REM's Automatic for the People and Mando Diao's Aelita. Nice complementary use of the heights and some discreet isolate elements, but nothing comparable to the wow effect that you get when switching from stereo to quad. Just in my humble opinion, of course.

That's kind of what I thought. Don't get me wrong. Everything sounds better in surround. Even front-centric mixes that only use the surround for headroom or ambience extension. "Since the system is already here and set up, might as well do that." kind of thing. But there's no way I would have been lured into surround if that was the only mix ever made! If these 3D formats are going to become a thing, someone needs to make some mixes that the likes of us can't wait to be able to hear! To the point of being driven to purchasing more speakers and setting them up (aligning, calibrating, etc) and dealing with the software.

How's the software decoding end BTW? Easy peasy? Just rip to a lossless MCH FLAC file (or mkv for stuff with video also) and play with your favorite media player app? Or the polar opposite like the early days of DVDA or bluray or decoding ringers like dts2496?

Random thought:
How about one of those legendary Parliament shows with 17 people on stage and the spaceship landing? Something like that?

I'm wondering what might have been mixed discretely in Atmos (or DTS-X or Auro 3D) that might drive me to set up height channels and a handful of object channels?...
These discs may do it for you and/or the Galvany Street by Booka Shade.
ATMOS disc 3 (640x480).jpg

These discs may do it for you and/or the Galvany Street by Booka Shade.
View attachment 33529
Not a fan of Roger's wall rehash even if the mix is compelling I'm afraid. Those synth bands could maybe get into some wild territory with the format. Not my style that much but either are the Flaming Lips and I enjoy their surround mixes. This is probably a slippery slope but does anyone have an Atmos/dts-x/auro mix they've ripped to MCH flac (with all the separate primary surround, height, and object tracks) that I could preview? (Look at in a DAW. Solo the various channels and that kind of thing. Basically tease me into buying stuff even if the music isn't maybe something I'd normally go after.) Or maybe there's a demo like that available somewhere?

Back