Dolby to Restrict Non-Native Upmixing on Atmos Based Products

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I wonder if the aim isn't more to regulate playback settings/calibrations to force proper 1:1 listening as the mix was intended to sound rather than limit anything?
Not to dismiss how anyone chooses to listen to their music for any reason, but there is what was intended to be heard or not that.
A stereo mix on a flat stereo system can be 1:1. Put that mix on a 5.1 system and start bleeding to other speakers or even stuff beyond like ambience or spacial things and now you're altering the mix.

Can't very well tell someone who likes altering mixes and enjoys them that they're wrong. But we can say weather or not a mix is being played back 1:1 how the artist intended it to be heard. Myself, I want to hear it 1:1 at least the first time just because but YMMV.

So I wonder if that is the aim. There were a couple comments in that linked article talking about different upmix options as though this was something expected to do (altering of a mix) and with an implied dismissal or possible unawareness of recognizing the original as special that I didn't like.

I don't like the bait and switch products that restrict things to generate more sales (upgrades or whathaveyou). My comment would be something like: Of course that would help the consumer! Because we all know that home theater and surround systems are so simple to set up in the first place that this surely wouldn't just confuse anyone further. /s

But this looks like chasing after proper calibration.

Anyone who likes to alter things is still free to do what they will with any recording. And they probably already have a DAW app and all that.

Not to dismiss how anyone chooses to listen to their music for any reason, but there is what was intended to be heard or not that.
A stereo mix on a flat stereo system can be 1:1. Put that mix on a 5.1 system and start bleeding to other speakers or even stuff beyond like ambience or spacial things and now you're altering the mix.

But in the past Dolby offered DPL-II Music Mode explicitly for just that purpose!

Hi. All
Sorry if this has been brought up before...
I thought some off you would like to now what`s going on???? link.......

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-technologies/dolby-non-native-upmixing-atmos
image.jpg

a image.jpg

Last edited:
I did a firmware update to my Marantz SR-7010 not to long ago and while watching a TV program in Dolby Digital I noticed that I could no longer select an up-mixing feature I have come to enjoy. The unit now only allows playback in the native format being broadcasted.
I used to have these options to do an upmix to the heights and back channels
Upmixing.jpg

Now Dolby Digital is just Dolby Digital. I can use the Auro 3D feature but it now puts all the dialog in the left and right front channels.

I thought that this issue was withdrawn after reading this thread but it appears Marantz never got the message. A real bummer as I liked having more choices.

Last edited:
I did a firmware update to my Marantz SR-7010 not to long ago and while watching a TV program in Dolby Digital I noticed that I could no longer select an up-mixing feature I have come to enjoy. The unit now only allows playback in the native format being broadcasted.
View attachment 45646

Now Dolby Digital is just Dolby Digital. I can use the Atmos feature but it now puts all the dialog in the left and right front channels.

I thought that this issue was withdrawn after reading this thread but it appears Marantz never got the message. A real bummer as I liked having more choices.
Can you go back on your firmware update, (I'm thinking no, but ???)

View attachment 45646

Now Dolby Digital is just Dolby Digital. I can use the Atmos feature but it now puts all the dialog in the left and right front channels.

Thanks for posting this. I have a Marantz SR7013 and am a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kinda guy who avoids any update unless it's security-related or have a gun to my head, and will definitely continue to do so!

View attachment 45646

Maybe try a factory reset, then update the firmware with the version that works?

Good Idea, I don't think you can chose your version but may give that a try. My concern of a factory reset is I paid $200 for the Auro 3D add on and would I loose that?
It's all a tricky business, and I can throw out ideas, but it's not my machine... best of luck, maybe search the web and see if others have had the same issues.

Careful hacking firmware! If they didn't make a software tool and/or if the utility code doesn't have the ability to load an older firmware build after the fact, just trying stuff can lead to bricking it. That means it's an expensive paperweight now unless you can remove IC chips and/or have a programmer setup.
Factory reset should not be able to touch the firmware per SOP. Some products may be unique and/or not follow standard procedures of course!

The whole scenario - locked into a firmware update in a hardware device with no tools available to reverse it and no easily accessible file system like a computer - doesn't exist using a computer to serve your music. All these 20th century-esque stand-alone hardware products can really just go the hell away IMHO! But I digress...

Anything software based (including the OS) is bulletproof. Hard drive failure or whatever... put proper software back and expected functionality returns just like you last left it. Firmware - by definition - is programmed into an IC chip on the circuit board. Firmware includes the low level code that tells the device basics like how to even turn on and how to load it's OS from storage. Break that and your only recourse is to program that chip manually with your test equipment and chip reader/writer setup. Otherwise it's a paperweight now.
So that leads to holding your lips just the right way when updating firmware on a device even with trusted certified software tools! "Don't let the power go out. Don't let the power go out..."

Random fact:
The Macbook Pro computer beeps "sos" (3 short 3 long 3 short pause repeat) when the firmware on the logic board is corrupt. Ask me how I know that.

Ugh!
Looks like Dolby wants to stifle competitors and try and maintain their current advantage in the surround height arena. Industry restrictions are always a raw deal for consumers, especially if they have been enjoying the non-restricted technology.

The restrictions on consumer media products reading a standard ISO file comes to mind.
Here we go again...

Just a thought - Is it possible for your device to convert Dolby Digital to PCM and then upmix that?

View attachment 45646

Now Dolby Digital is just Dolby Digital. I can use the Auro 3D feature but it now puts all the dialog in the left and right front channels.

I'm not having this issue with my Marantz SR6012 and I always accept the updates.

Back