Don Sebesky "Giant Box" - Are All Copies Actually SQ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjcorne

Staff member
I just found a copy of this 2 LP (CTX 6031/32) set in a dollar bin...I'm aware there was a dedicated quad vinyl version released by CTI, but I noticed the label on mine has the same text "RVG SQ 87689" as the quad version.

Playing it now through my surround master and it sounds awfully like an intentional matrix decode. Is it possible this is actually a stealth single-inventory title?

Perhaps DV will get to this one eventually as they seem to be mining CTI's quads...

I just found a copy of this 2 LP (CTX 6031/32) set in a dollar bin...I'm aware there was a dedicated quad vinyl version released by CTI, but I noticed the label on mine has the same text "RVG SQ 87689" as the quad version.

Playing it now through my surround master and it sounds awfully like an intentional matrix decode. Is it possible this is actually a stealth single-inventory title?

Perhaps DV will get to this one eventually as they seem to be mining CTI's quads...

I think CTI only released this title as a single inventory item since even if it was SQ encoded it would still play perfectly on standard Stereo players, of course in Stereo only. Hope D~V eventually releases this as a QUAD SACD! Love those CTI QUADS.

Contrary to the discogs entry for the US stereo release with the used SQ stampers I have a US stereo copy which shows RVG SQ 87689/90 on the labels, but RVG 87689/90 as matrix numbers.

So I think I have indeed a stereo only release.

-Kristian

Update: I was in a record store and I noticed the same “RVG SQ...” text on the label and runout on stereo copies of Deodato 2 and Deodato/Airto In Concert.

Is it possible CTI used the SQ stampers on all copies of these albums?

Update: I was in a record store and I noticed the same “RVG SQ...” text on the label and runout on stereo copies of Deodato 2 and Deodato/Airto In Concert.

Is it possible CTI used the SQ stampers on all copies of these albums?

This info was lifted directly from Quadraphonic Discography:

DON SEBESKY -
Giant Box. CTI [2 LP] CTX-6031/32 [previously CTSQX-6031/32]
(SQ), CTRQX-6031/32 (QR), CTQ8X-6031/32 (Q8)
{Originally released in separate Quad and Stereo versions, Later
released in Quad only. The same number appears on the early stereo
version and on the later Quad-only version, which are distinguishable
by the SQ logo on the back side of the Quad-only album jacket.}

It was my understanding that there was separate Stereo and Quad issues and when the stereo stampers wore out, CTI simply stuck stereo labels on discs pressed with SQ stampers rather than make new stereo stampers. This was done with many CTI releases. The best indicator is to read the stamper matrix and look for SQ somewhere in the number. It moved around before the RVG and after, depending on title. Now, what I do not know is if the stereo cassettes, reels and 8-tracks were encoded in SQ or were from the stereo mix. I believe the use of SQ stampers was simply a cost cutting measure, besides they are supposed to be compatible...

It was my understanding that there was separate Stereo and Quad issues and when the stereo stampers wore out, CTI simply stuck stereo labels on discs pressed with SQ stampers rather than make new stereo stampers. This was done with many CTI releases. The best indicator is to read the stamper matrix and look for SQ somewhere in the number. It moved around before the RVG and after, depending on title. Now, what I do not know is if the stereo cassettes, reels and 8-tracks were encoded in SQ or were from the stereo mix. I believe the use of SQ stampers was simply a cost cutting measure, besides they are supposed to be compatible...

It's all so confusing.

Am hoping [and praying] that Dutton Vocalion obtains the discrete QUAD masters and releases this fantastic jazz set on QUAD SACD!

I should also mention that if you do find one (or more) "hidden" CTI quads, look at the matrix mnumbers on BOTH sides. I have at least one that is SQ only on one side. Now, if I could just remember which one...:unsure:

Probably this one although it's been debunked.....the entire set was SQ encoded:

GROVER WASHINGTON -
Soul Box. Kudu [2 LP] KSQX-1213 (SQ), KRQX-1213 (QR), KSQX-1213
(Q8)
{only disc two is SQ encoded}
Soul Box. Vol. 2. Kudu KU-13 (SQ)
{The 2 record set of "Soul Box" (KSQX-1213) was later released as
separate Vol. 1 & Vol. 2 single disc albums; only Vol. 2 is known for
certain to be SQ encoded}
{Originally released in separate Quad and Stereo versions, Later
released in Quad only. The same number appears on the early stereo
version and on the later Quad-only version, which are distinguishable
by the SQ logo on the back side of the Quad-only album jacket.}
Soul Box. Motown 374635187-4 (SQC)
{only side two is SQ encoded}

Another CTI set ripe for the Dutton Vocalion QUAD SACD treatment.

Last edited:
Now I am going looney! I just looked through all my CTI/KUDU quads and can not find the one I used to have that had the SQ etching on one side only. It wasn't a box set, but a single LP. I am now wondering if I donated it. I do have 2 versions of the Grover Washington Soul Box. The only differences I can see are one says Stereo on the labels and has SQ on all 4 sides in the matrix, the other says Quadraphonic on the box and labels with SQ in all 4 sides etchings. All my CTI/KUDU LP's have SQ on all sides, even if they are pressed with Stereo labels and jackets. Most say that they were released in Stereo and Quad, but probably had the SQ masters on all. I don't want to propagate myths, but my memory sure seems strong. One thing I do know is that CTI was pressed in Canada, but some were by RCA and others by Quality Records, and none of those mention quad OR have SQ in the matrix. Only the U.S. pressings sold in Canada have it. I don't know why some quad stuff was sometimes pressed in Canada, and other stuff was imported from the US, and even labeled as imports... sometimes.

This is actually old news and I will take the credit for uncovering these stereo jacketed discs that actually contained quad pressings.
Something I discovered back in the late 70's after looking at a couple of used copies that were for sale .

Why CTI/KUDU did this is possibly as Circular Vibes surmisses , cost cutting . It makes sense as CTI went bankrupt , so why not get your quad expenditure value when all is said and done. (kinda wish more labels believed in compatible stereo quad recordings ).

Now fwiw, my Don Sebesky box is in the stereo jacket , but clearly has the RVG SQ # on the paper vinyl label and the vinyl runout .
I have no reason to believe it's not quad and sounds great via my Fosgate .

I have some stereo jacketed quad lps on CTI and KUDU in addition to some quad jacketed lps.

Cd's and cassetes in quad ? Well it's possible but this was mainly a quad metal stamper thing so comparative testing would have to be done . If the SQ master tapes were used.......then you'd have cd's in quad of course .

Now I am going looney! I just looked through all my CTI/KUDU quads and can not find the one I used to have that had the SQ etching on one side only. It wasn't a box set, but a single LP. I am now wondering if I donated it. I do have 2 versions of the Grover Washington Soul Box. The only differences I can see are one says Stereo on the labels and has SQ on all 4 sides in the matrix, the other says Quadraphonic on the box and labels with SQ in all 4 sides etchings. All my CTI/KUDU LP's have SQ on all sides, even if they are pressed with Stereo labels and jackets. Most say that they were released in Stereo and Quad, but probably had the SQ masters on all. I don't want to propagate myths, but my memory sure seems strong. One thing I do know is that CTI was pressed in Canada, but some were by RCA and others by Quality Records, and none of those mention quad OR have SQ in the matrix. Only the U.S. pressings sold in Canada have it. I don't know why some quad stuff was sometimes pressed in Canada, and other stuff was imported from the US, and even labeled as imports... sometimes.

No C.V. your memory is just fine .

The only vinyl album I saw (and I saw most, but not all ) that had quad on one side and stereo on the other was the Grover Washington single lp editions .
Don't remember if it was the 2nd or first lp but it had RVG SQ # 'S on both sides of the paper centre , but when you checked the vinyl imprint # one had RVG # (no SQ ) but the other was ok.

Now I never A/B'D it , never bought it ,as I had the original Quad box set and thought it would be overkill .

Oh and besides RCA and Quality records (Canada ) , Motown stickers were on some U.S. imported in copies. Lots of labels involved with CTI , no doubt as they went into financial troubles.

This is where I wish we still had a like button, Fizzywiggs. Thank you for taking credit, it may have been you that started me on the rabbit hole of looking at every CTI/KUDU quad I see. They couldn't even settle on one idea for labeling. I have at least 2 variations on quad labeling and more than a few in "stereo". As to how many times I have rebought quads to rescue them from the thrift stores, I can't even remember now. That may explain why there aren't as many CTI's on my shelf as I thought I had. I must have had a clear out at some point and had an Alzheimer's moment figuring out whjere they went.

Sorry Fred, I never had that one. I think I only ever saw a Canadian Quality pressing which would only show stereo on the jacket, label and matrix. I think Canadian companies, other than RCA and Columbia, were quadphobic.

is it Joe Farrell's "Penny Arcade"?

You know I didn't know about the two mysterious CTI/KUDU SQ quad releases until many years later when someone on QQ mentioned them.
I'm talking about the Esther Phillips and Joe Farrell quad discs of course .
My guess is they were being readied for release when the label went bellyup .
That someone at the label got wise and did all reissues using those SQ quad metal stampers is a rare gift to all us quad collectors .

(now if only Columbia/CBS would do the same !!!)

Back