Downloading Multichannel Music - Where To Start???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve just had a chance to read all the responses - thanks everybody.
So, as far as I can make out, the easiest way (for me) to do it is to use the MacBook to download the files, put them onto a pen drive (my wife will show me how to do that), then stick the thing into my Oppo.
And if I use the Oppo media control thingmy (shown as “Oppo MediaControl for BDP-10x”, hopefully that’s the right one) I can easily play them any time from my iPad without having to fire up my laptop? And does that mean I don’t have to use the jriver and foobar methods?

Thanks for posting the links. I took the plunge as I hadn't been able to find out much about the Oppo 203's file playback from the user manual, and I'd been reluctant to purchase any DSD downloads as a result.

So the Oppo 203 plays the DSD64 & DSD128 Stereo & Surround .dsf files direct from my NAS Drive with no issues (using 1G Wired Ethernet).

Edit: It can't play DSD256 2.0 or 5.1

The Bill Evans – Bauble, Bangles, and Beads recording from June 1968 sounds amazing. NativeDSD also gave a free Chopin piece in 2.0 & 5.1, really good.

Some Other Time: The Lost Sessions from 2xHD-Resonance, is the one to get if you only pick up one of the Bill Evans albums in Stereo DSD.
It includes the demo track from the Oppo DSD Sampler. The album is a DSD Exclusive, Not Available on SACD release.
https://2xhd.nativedsd.com/albums/2...r-time-the-lost-session-from-the-black-forest

For DSD 128 Multichannel and DSD 256 Multichannel files, you will need a DAC like the exaSound e38 or one of the NADACs from Merging Technologies.
https://www.exasound.com/e38/e38DACOverview.aspx
http://nadac.merging.com/
http://blog.nativedsd.com/free-dsd-tracks-playing-multichannel-dsd-chopins-last-waltz/

I’ve just had a chance to read all the responses - thanks everybody.
So, as far as I can make out, the easiest way (for me) to do it is to use the MacBook to download the files, put them onto a pen drive (my wife will show me how to do that), then stick the thing into my Oppo.
And if I use the Oppo media control thingmy (shown as “Oppo MediaControl for BDP-10x”, hopefully that’s the right one) I can easily play them any time from my iPad without having to fire up my laptop? And does that mean I don’t have to use the jriver and foobar methods?

Or you can use a USB hard drive - if you have a lot of music files to play with the Oppo.
You can play them with the Oppo player software - and the Oppo remote control - if you are using the USB ports for playback.

Or you can use a USB hard drive - if you have a lot of music files to play with the Oppo.
You can play them with the Oppo player software - and the Oppo remote control - if you are using the USB ports for playback.

I’ve just managed to download that free stuff I mentioned earlier. My wife showed me how to put them onto the pen drive and I’ve managed to play them back on my system. So, some surprising success there! Although I now have the Oppo media app too, I just used my remote control (as suggested above). I’ll figure out later if there are any advantages in using the app.
However, I must say that I’m disappointed with the sound quality - it just seems really muffled, and I have to turn the volume up quite high to hear it comfortably. Compared to my discs, well, it really doesn’t compare. It’s late now so I need to get to bed, but I’ll have a look tomorrow, see if I can improve it.
ps on the info screen on the tv it says “file type: DSD to PCM”. I have an Anthem MRX 510 which, from what I’ve read, doesn’t do native DSD, and converts it to PCM. However I’m also led to believe that the Anthem’s ARC room correction system makes up for this. This is just stuff I’ve gleaned from other forums...
Right, time for bed.

Strange with the bad sound! You can test your system and try with the free download albums on Surroundmusic.one:
https://surroundmusic.one/album/heartless/ This flac file sounds great on my system (free the rest of February)
https://surroundmusic.one/album/brad-hebert/ Five numbers (21:36) as a zip-file: I don't know if a Oppo can play zip-files so you may have to un-zip the folder on your Mac before transfer it to the USB-stick.

I’ve just managed to download that free stuff I mentioned earlier. My wife showed me how to put them onto the pen drive and I’ve managed to play them back on my system. So, some surprising success there! Although I now have the Oppo media app too, I just used my remote control (as suggested above). I’ll figure out later if there are any advantages in using the app.
However, I must say that I’m disappointed with the sound quality - it just seems really muffled, and I have to turn the volume up quite high to hear it comfortably. Compared to my discs, well, it really doesn’t compare. It’s late now so I need to get to bed, but I’ll have a look tomorrow, see if I can improve it.
ps on the info screen on the tv it says “file type: DSD to PCM”. I have an Anthem MRX 510 which, from what I’ve read, doesn’t do native DSD, and converts it to PCM. However I’m also led to believe that the Anthem’s ARC room correction system makes up for this. This is just stuff I’ve gleaned from other forums...
Right, time for bed.

You're being pretty harsh there, GOS. Personally, I always thought it was really nice of Microsoft to include this free download tool for Firefox in their operating system.

Nah, I don't think I was. I was just being honest. I was having lots of issues with it, while not having issues with other browsers. That's just me though....doesn't mean it's unstable for others. :)

Strange with the bad sound! You can test your system and try with the free download albums on Surroundmusic.one:
https://surroundmusic.one/album/heartless/ This flac file sounds great on my system (free the rest of February)
https://surroundmusic.one/album/brad-hebert/ Five numbers (21:36) as a zip-file: I don't know if a Oppo can play zip-files so you may have to un-zip the folder on your Mac before transfer it to the USB-stick.

I'm giving it another listen at the moment. It does sound better than it did last night, for some reason.
Maybe it's because (a) I was really tired last night, (b) I gave my Oppo it's first firmware update today or (c) I was comparing it to my most recently listened-to discs, these being the (in my opinion) exceptionally high quality Kraftwerk 3D the Catalogue and Beck Sea Change.
Or maybe the recording levels are lower and I'm simply having to turn it up a bit.
I've downloaded the Heartless track suggested above, it's pretty good, so thanks for that.
So, now that I've figured out how to do this with all your help, are there any sites that are recommended, for cost, quality, reliability, ease of use etc (in addition to the ones previously mentioned)?
There's a site called Xxxxxxxthat seems to have loads of free stuff, but I'm quite happy to pay for some too!

You're being pretty harsh there, GOS. Personally, I always thought it was really nice of Microsoft to include this free download tool for Firefox in their operating system.

LOL - I didn't even catch your joke the first time....damn work gets in the way of my most awesome sense of humor. :violin

I'm giving it another listen at the moment. It does sound better than it did last night, for some reason.
Maybe it's because (a) I was really tired last night, (b) I gave my Oppo it's first firmware update today or (c) I was comparing it to my most recently listened-to discs, these being the (in my opinion) exceptionally high quality Kraftwerk 3D the Catalogue and Beck Sea Change.
You have to compare using the same tracks in each of the formats.

Or maybe the recording levels are lower and I'm simply having to turn it up a bit.
I've downloaded the Heartless track suggested above, it's pretty good, so thanks for that.
So, now that I've figured out how to do this with all your help, are there any sites that are recommended, for cost, quality, reliability, ease of use etc (in addition to the ones previously mentioned)?
There's a site called Xxxxxxxthat seems to have loads of free stuff, but I'm quite happy to pay for some too!
Please refrain from including any illegal site in your posts.

I did catch it but chalked it up to possible inexperience or lack of knowledge, so I didn't call them out publicly. That site is rather deceptive to the uninitiated.

Back