DTS-CD's. What's your latest?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting.. so there were DTS CDs of Larisa Stow & Gluey Brothers
before they shifted to DVD-A whereupon DTS Ents released new DVD-A versions of those 2 titles (together with Toy Matinee, which also got the upgrade for sure).. did not know that, only have Larisa & Gluey on DVD-A.. iirc some of the other DTS CDs got redone on DVD-A (Esteban's From The Heart among them) incredible to think they could/would release these things twice on the two different formats and yet so so many Quads (and 5.1's for that matter!) remain unreleased in any modern day format..
so, who wants to go for broke and set up a surround music reissue label with me? :)

As I remember the press releases and other info from DTS, there was going to be a 100% shift to DVD-A of all previous releases, but things changed in the upper echolocation of DTS to gt out of the "music business". Left in the dust are a lot of great titles that deserve to be re-released today that may never come to be. I remember the LaserDisc days when "Pioneer Artists" released a lot of great Music Video albums that still to this day have not been re-released. I still have 5 of the "CLD" format releases that featured the entire audio only album and then 2 to 3 videos.
I still am having trouble finding DTS-CDs that I can find as re-released DVD-As.

Attachments

• 20160828_125522.jpg
    20160828_125522.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 210
  • 20160828_125617.jpg
    20160828_125617.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 211
Finally got my copy of Klaus Schulze/Pete Namlook-Dark Side Of The Moog.

I believe I can determine who plays what on this disc.Klaus is on keyboard playing a composition and Pete is on effects and samples.

As Simon says, it's a good surround disc for a dts cd .It's my first of Namlook's dtscd's and now I will have to obtain more.Hopefully they (MIG records) will re-issue more.(y)

Congratulations on your score! (y)

Namlook's music and 5.1 mixes are highly addictive so allow me to warn you. You will want every one of them. Considering that there are about 35 titles out there and that they were pressed in small quantities (300 to 500, in some cases 1000 copies) you will need to scrutinize the online sources to find them. I'm about halfway there and I'm enjoying every time I can get my hands on one of these babies. :)

Have fun and enjoy! :D

Wonder what the rarest DTS CD would be.??

Would it be one of the most expensive on auction sites ? And would it be in my/or for that matter anyone from QQ 's collection ?

Could it be one of the first on HDS ? or first on DTS ENT.? or Telarc ? Maybe it would be a previous big seller/ popular artist.

Wonder what the rarest DTS CD would be.??

Would it be one of the most expensive on auction sites ? And would it be in my/or for that matter anyone from QQ 's collection ?

Could it be one of the first on HDS ? or first on DTS ENT.? or Telarc ? Maybe it would be a previous big seller/ popular artist.

V. good Qn., Fizzbuster! I'm guessing it probably wouldn't be an early one from DTS Ents, though many of the HDS/Brad Miller DTS titles in particular have become pretty hard to find out in the wild lately.. the Telarcs are obscure (Brubeck What's New, Ray Brown Summertime, Big Picture, Steve Reid's Bamboo, Junior Wells Come on in This House and a Sampler were the sum total off the top of my head?) but I don't think they're super rare in the scheme of rare DTS CDs.. I'd put my money on it being one of those titles that came after the main DTS CD releases had dried up and had a super limited print run, I imagine (there was one that had like 5 copies or something iirc.. I'll look it up! :D )

Some hard to find, hard to obtain and uber crazy expensive DTS CDS do come to mind,

From my collection:20160831_170620.jpg

HDS 'S STEVE MILLER-FLY LIKE AN EAGLE (first edition) and DTS ENT.'S STEELY DAN-GAUCHO (first edition)

I figure they just got to be extremely rare at this time.

I have not checked prices lately but I would guess that the yellow label Band on the Run is probably up there.

Very good point, that might well be "the one".. at least the priciest rarest very popular title and not one that's super rare because its ultra obscure, maybe?

fwiw I've never managed to acquire one (and i've been trying for some years) and have had to make do with purple label one's that are missing the 1st snippet of music since all the affordable DVD-A size cased copies I've found to date (admittedly not a huge number over the years but not just the odd one or two) have either been sealed and the seller had no idea without opening it up which colour disc was inside and understandably did not want to remove the shrinkwrap, or it turned out to be the purple disc in the big DVD-A case, that's happened a few times.. the rare occasions a seller has stated they have the yellow disc in the big case they've gone for silly money, I think there may have been one or two exceptions, one in the UK on eBay but I snoozed and I... err.. loose-d :eek:

Some hard to find, hard to obtain and uber crazy expensive DTS CDS do come to mind,

From my collection:View attachment 27132

HDS 'S STEVE MILLER-FLY LIKE AN EAGLE (first edition) and DTS ENT.'S STEELY DAN-GAUCHO (first edition)

I figure they just got to be extremely rare at this time.

I have the same Gaucho as you FW (did the DTS CD ever see a repress in the DVD-A size case?)
but my Steve Miller DTS is in DVD-A case.. come to think of it there was an outfit in the UK which was flogging the Steve Miller repress DTS CDs in the DVD-A cases for next to nothing back when I got mine, I got many things including the wonderful Ohio Players DTS discs, from the same people, all very cheap.

As I was saying to the Kap'n when I met him the other day, even though I don't really have regrets about stuff, I do kinda wish when places like Virgin Megastore and HMV were clearing out and had so many DVD-A's, DTS CDs and SACDs going cheap I should have taken out a bank loan or something and bought their entire remaining inventories rather than 1 or sometimes 2 copies of whatever I wanted at the time. That way I would have had many spare copies of the hard to find things to help out mates here at QQ rather than see anyone get scalped on eBay etc.

Mustn't grumble though, some of my very best finds for retail (and sometimes less) prices were when those stores sadly went bust (things like the Beyonce SACD = £16, Ship Ahoy SACD = £14, Destinys Child SACD = £17.. etc) its just incredible that nobody who worked there realised what they were and either marked them up or bought them and flipped them on eBay themselves as they were going for fairly hefty prices even then. Hindsight, what a wonderful thing!

I also said to the Kap, how sad I felt for anybody coming up now who wants to own these Surround titles because it has become harder and harder to find many of them for ok money... I hate downloads for many reasons (not the sound quality which if Hi-Res lossless is wonderful but just about everything else about them!) but this surround music hobby desperately needs Surround downloads for its long-term survival, imho as the Surround discs people want just aren't affordable or available at any price or being reissued at all.

Ironically, I just recently placed two separate orders with AmazonUS for two DTS RBCD discs I didn't have in my collection: Joey Curtin 'Once Upon A Time' and Bill Mize 'Coastin', priced at $11.88 and $18.98 respectively, both sealed, brand new and with 2 day free Amazon Prime delivery....and NO pesky New York State sales tax!

The BEST part, BOTH are shipped directly from 5.1 Marketing which ON THEIR OWN WEBSITE have BOTH titles CURRENTLY listed for $49.98 each + s/h! [The Joey Curtin DTS RBCD is NOW out of stock].

There are DTS OOP bargains to be found but one does have to search.

BTW, I was totally unfamiliar with guitarist Bill Mize but the seven 5* reviews @ AmazonUS caught my attention and I LOVE the Joey Curtin DTS RBCD.....IMO, excellent New Age Music with a lovely soundstage very reminiscent of Windham Hill genre music.

Last edited:
Sorry, fredumz,

Don't know if DTS CD GAUCHO ever came out in medium super jewel case, the DVDA size.The possibility is there.That GAUCHO DTS CD was the release that made me "jump into the fire !"
My first DTS CD and The Steve Miller was no# two.
I had FLY LIKE AN EAGLE on Q8 and have to say that was my best sounding Q8 , low low tape noise and shit!----released in 76, by Capitol USA !! I think it was their last Q8 issued, and I so wanted it to be on a quad lp.The DTS CD is just sublime:smokin

More rarities---BAND ON THE RUN,& JOE COCKER (his producer was involved with DTS ENT. I think)

20160831_170602.jpg

Fizzy bought these from 5.1 marketing years back, wonder when they will have a Big Sale ?

Ironically, I just recently placed two separate orders with AmazonUS for two DTS RBCD discs I didn't have in my collection: Joey Curtin 'Once Upon A Time' and Bill Mize 'Coastin', priced at $11.88 and $18.98 respectively, both sealed, brand new and with 2 day free Amazon Prime delivery....and NO pesky New York State sales tax!

The BEST part, BOTH are shipped directly from 5.1 Marketing which ON THEIR OWN WEBSITE have BOTH titles CURRENTLY listed for $49.98 each + s/h! [The Joey Curtin DTS RBCD is NOW out of stock].

There are DTS OOP bargains to be found but one does have to search.

BTW, I was totally unfamiliar with guitarist Bill Mize but the seven 5* reviews @ AmazonUS caught my attention and I LOVE the Joey Curtin DTS RBCD.....IMO, excellent New Age Music with a lovely soundstage very reminiscent of Windham Hill genre music.

Coastin's virtually zilch surround too.. (just sayin'.. for anyone reading this who likes their surround to be nice and surround-y, rather than all but non-existent.. :eek: )

Sorry, fredumz,

Don't know if DTS CD GAUCHO ever came out in medium super jewel case, the DVDA size.The possibility is there.That GAUCHO DTS CD was the release that made me "jump into the fire !"
My first DTS CD and The Steve Miller was no# two.
I had FLY LIKE AN EAGLE on Q8 and have to say that was my best sounding Q8 , low low tape noise and shit!----released in 76, by Capitol USA !! I think it was their last Q8 issued, and I so wanted it to be on a quad lp.The DTS CD is just sublime:smokin

More rarities---BAND ON THE RUN,& JOE COCKER (his producer was involved with DTS ENT. I think)

View attachment 27165

Fizzy bought these from 5.1 marketing years back, wonder when they will have a Big Sale ?

Thanks any way Fizzums.. :upthumb
(The DVD-A sized cases are called "Super Jewel Box Plus" btw :) )

Super Jewel Box Plus for DVD-Audio

Is that the BOTR with yellow silk screen printed disc or purple?

Yes.. Joe Cocker's producer/mixing type bloke was David Tickle (V. into DTS/Surround music from what I can gather.. no idea what happened there, he did quite a few surround things and.. poof.. despite what Wikipedia says about it, that's all folks, no surround mixes for donkey's years or at least I've never heard of anything new by him being released for such a long time!)

Wikipedia: David Tickle, British record producer and engineer

Ah, that was an outfit run by a fellow named Larry Klenin, iirc.. A sale you say? Maybe when "Hell Freezes Over"..? They probably got some copies of that one left.. (a mere snip at $99 a pop or somesuch.. ;) )

Yes, that is the Yellow backing.

I think I got a couple or so of that rather ugly colour.Notice how I place that cardboard "marquee" in a more useful spot.

Good to know I guess, what the DVDA plastic jewel box is called(y)
A 2 or 3 year timeline where I was looking to purchase some cases, and I was on a UK site where they referred to them as all super jewel box, regular, medium, and large ?

Well ok now, a couple more
DTS CD rarities;

Santana-Abraxis and The Eagles-Hell Freezes Over

20160831_170535.jpg

and a mystery disc, someone said was quad....but no its 5.1

20160831_190449.jpg

Yes, that is the Yellow backing.

I think I got a couple or so of that rather ugly colour.Notice how I place that cardboard "marquee" in a more useful spot.

Good to know I guess, what the DVDA plastic jewel box is called(y)
A 2 or 3 year timeline where I was looking to purchase some cases, and I was on a UK site where they referred to them as all super jewel box, regular, medium, and large ?

Well ok now, a couple more
DTS CD rarities;

Santana-Abraxis and The Eagles-Hell Freezes Over

View attachment 27168

and a mystery disc, someone said was quad....but no its 5.1

View attachment 27169

ah the tray card (backing) may be yellow but is the DISC..??? :banana: (carrying on the yellow theme..)
(I've seen BOTR DTS CDs with yellow inlays BUT purple discs, you see..! :D )

Todd Rundgren in DTS?????? :yikes

Coastin's virtually zilch surround too.. (just sayin'.. for anyone reading this who likes their surround to be nice and surround-y, rather than all but non-existent.. :eek: )

Actually, Adam, the Joey Curtin DTS sounds WONDERFUL on my system.......very tastefully done surround with discrete elements (synthesizer sounds, locomotives, etc.). It's NO LTJ Bukem, that's for sure, but it surely fits the mood.

Back