DTS-CD DTS to WAV?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Here's one for you all.

How can I take a DTS CD, and turn it back into a WAV file, preferably in software without having to re-record back through.

Is there any way of doing this that anyone knows of?

No way. You have to play it back and rerecord the decoded playback.

I notice that when I use azidts to create 6 mono wavs they come out mislabeled.

I changed them as follows:
SL->LFE; FR->C; FL->FL; C->FR; LFE->SR; SR->SL.

Anybody else ever have this problem?

The problem was reported before: 6 wave dts output labels

Some have the problem, some don't. Without detailed information on what program, dll, and codec versions are used, it's difficult to say where the problem is.

My advice would be to try different versions of the ivaudio.ax as well as azidts (there is 0.1 and 0.2) as well as beseet.

Good luck,
Andreas

"DVD Audio Extractor" helps. It can save dts-encoded 6-channel wavs from dvd-video.

I use VLC player version 0.7.2 (later versions cannot play DTS) and tell it to "output to file" instead of playing it thru the soundcard. It produces a 6 channel .wav file which can be opened in Audition as 6 discrete wavs.

QUADradial said:
I use VLC player version 0.7.2 (later versions cannot play DTS) and tell it to "output to file" instead of playing it thru the soundcard. It produces a 6 channel .wav file which can be opened in Audition as 6 discrete wavs.

How exactly do you output to a 6ch .wav file?
I managed to acquire a version of VLC player that will playback DTS wav files but I can't seem to work out how to save it as a 6ch .wav file.
When you tick "stream output" > "settings" you have the option of saving to a file but there is no wav option only "MPEG TS, MPEG PS, MPEG1, Ogg, Raw, ASF, AVI, MP4 & MOV" and do you need to select an audio codec for "Transcoding options"? :confused:

Thanks for any help on this.

Instead of messing with Video Lan Client player, there has been a much easier tool for a while now called Tranzcode.
The command line is a bit confusing, but if you just say:
Code:
tranzcode <<nothing>DTS coded file>
it will put out each channel in a mono 32bit wav file.

Someone else made a small gui and an optimized compile, but the gui does sometimes not accept the DTS file.

Last edited:
Ge Someone said:
Instead of messing with Video Lan Client player, there has been a much easier tool for a while now called Tranzcode.
The command line is a bit confusing, but if you just say:
Code:
tranzcode <<nothing>DTS coded file>
it will put out each channel in a mono 32bit wav file.

Someone else made a small gui and an optimized compile, but the gui does sometimes not accept the DTS file.

Thanks for that, I'll Give it a try :)

Here's an easy way to use tranzcode on one or more wavs without having to use the command prompt nor having to edit bat files all the time.

All you need to do is place tranzcode.exe in a folder as well as any wav files you wish to process. Copy the following into text editor and save as tranzcode.bat. in the same folder. Then just double-click the .bat file and you're off.

REM
REM mass convert dts wav to 6 mono wav
REM
REM %%I is the filename+extension of every single *.wav file in the actual directory
REM
REM
FOR %%I IN (*.wav) DO tranzcode "%%I"

Works like a charm!
-Fretz

Will Transcode work directly with the DTS audio track of a DVD, or do you have to rip it to WAV first? VLC Media Player can output directly from DVD audio track to packed six-channel WAV. I'm using VLC 0.84. Like Tab says, it does not currentlly work with DTS but works awesome with AC3. I haven't hunted down an earlier version. I hope they put DTS back in VLC. I'm digging that program.

Tranzcode will work with a .dts file or a dts file that is a .wav

You will get 6 32bit wavefiles in return. There is also a gui for tranzcode.

No... you would have to rip the DTS stream and then open it up in Tranzcode.

I just use DVD Audio Extractor or DVD Decryptor to get the .dts files.

Just modify the .bat file to read:

FOR %%I IN (*.dts) DO tranzcode "%%I"

I keep the 2 in same folder and just name one tranzcode48.bat and the other tranzcode44.bat

Hi I'm the author of Tranzcode, I had made available a newer version which is actually old (ending in March), since I had been distracted with more possibilities, I perused the feasibility of a GUI which could also view multiple decoded waveforms and would allow selecting on frame boundaries for DTS & Dolby Digital files, where you could select regions and cut, paste, insert, trim, slice etc. between open files having similar characteristics of course. Another example were to repair damaged frames by just decoding just the defective frames to wav, then re-edit/repair the wav files and re-encode just these small regions, then reinsert/replace the frame(s) into a copy of your original file. Since a frame holds barely seconds if even a second, you would not hear/notice any audio degradation form decoding/re-encoding, but you would fix annoying pops clicks where the original contained. Just an idea, I think I can do it, but it’s a lot of work, and I've just begun to program Windows GUI stuff. It's a steep learning curve, but I have scouted the net and found most of the necessary free source code available to go ahead with it (an activex component for displaying waveforms, gui interface for multiple document interface containing splitters bars, tabs, custum tool bars etc.) , its just a matter of tinkering with it, and putting the whole thing together to work successfully. Also I have more important things on my plate at the moment. Once I get those things out of the way I'll be able to devote more time to this "major" undertaking.

Anyhow, I just wanted to alert you to the newer console version (0.4 beta), which includes Dolby Digital decoding for both .ac3 and DDWav. You can also interleave (mux) mono wavs of similar characteristics to create your own custom multichannel wavs (i.e. 4 channels and set the speaker settings - into wave extensible format. You could also strip channels out of multichannels wavs (i.e. 6 channel -> 4 channel in one go).

I've also added resampling and bit depth conversion up to 64-bit floating point
by incorporating and modifying the code from SSRC (Shibatch tools).
Also added batch processing via the '*' delimiter character which is also required when specifing all of the mono source files when creating a multichannel wav. Well with all the new features Tranzcode begs for a GUI for ease of use. Eventually I will get one made, sorry it will still take awhile for me to do one considering the frame editing feature I mentioned above.

The link for the website has already been posted (clickable), hear is the url anyway:

http://tranzcode.byethost22.com/

Cheers, Austin Forgotten

Back